BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #67
marcus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Vert

The politicians are going to have a meeting, today or in the next few days, to get more info out to the ppl. There are alot of gas stations running out of regular fuel.
I sure wont buy that crap and hope that noone else on base does.

Funny thing is when you see german politician, they always drive big ass mercedes S-classes or something similar and we all know most of them need SuperPlus.
      03-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #68
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
WOW!!!! that is a BIIIIG reversal for them. I had also spoken to the Safety Officer here where I work and he also told me about the oil thing......AND, about a report that BMW had made statements that the E10 fuel can cause damage to some of their Aluminum based engines.

That is scary because if more car manufacturers come out and say that their cars cannot support the fuel based on a model year around 2007-2008 and above, there will really be a big stink.

Looks like somone from BMW was miss quoted by the German TV press. BMW put out a new statement today - reaserting its position that E10 is safe to use in thier (2000 M.Y. & later) cars.

I personally will not use it. But here is todays press release. I also attached the rpess release and also a English version of the LIST of BW cars that CAN NOT use E10.

Dackel

from BMW AG's press website...

BMW backs the introduction of Super E10 fuel in Germany and Europe.
  • Press Release

BMW supports the introduction of Super E10 fuel in Germany and Europe. This is also in accordance with the decision made following the legislative procedure involving BMW and the motor industry.
There have been no changes to the technical assessments which were made for Europe and Germany at the time.
The statements made by Mr Brüner on the matter of E10 use in BMW vehicles expressly did not refer to countries with fuel standards such as those applicable in the EU, but to countries with clearly inferior fuel grades.
In the light of current developments, this was confirmed tonight by Dr Klaus Draeger, Member of the Board of Management BMW AG, Development.
“Contrary to current media reports which state otherwise, we affirm our declaration that E10 fuels can be safely used in all BMW passenger car models from any production year.
A small number of older BMW vehicles require Super Plus RON 98 to reduce knock. Irrespective of ethanol content, these vehicles are therefore not suited for Super fuel. The relevant list of these vehicles was already published by the ADAC on March 1st this year.
All oil-change intervals as prescribed by us remain unchanged, irrespective of the use of E10 fuel.”
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW_backs_the_introduction_of_Super_E10_fuel_in_Germany_EN.pdf (80.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: pdf BMW_Group_statement_E10_E.pdf (38.0 KB, 182 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #69
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Looks like somone from BMW was miss quoted by the German TV press. BMW put out a new statement today - reaserting its position that E10 is safe to use in thier (2000 M.Y. & later) cars.

I personally will not use it. But here is todays press release. I also attached the rpess release and also a English version of the LIST of BW cars that CAN NOT use E10.

Dackel

from BMW AG's press website...

BMW backs the introduction of Super E10 fuel in Germany and Europe.
  • Press Release

BMW supports the introduction of Super E10 fuel in Germany and Europe. This is also in accordance with the decision made following the legislative procedure involving BMW and the motor industry.
There have been no changes to the technical assessments which were made for Europe and Germany at the time.
The statements made by Mr Brüner on the matter of E10 use in BMW vehicles expressly did not refer to countries with fuel standards such as those applicable in the EU, but to countries with clearly inferior fuel grades.
In the light of current developments, this was confirmed tonight by Dr Klaus Draeger, Member of the Board of Management BMW AG, Development.
“Contrary to current media reports which state otherwise, we affirm our declaration that E10 fuels can be safely used in all BMW passenger car models from any production year.
A small number of older BMW vehicles require Super Plus RON 98 to reduce knock. Irrespective of ethanol content, these vehicles are therefore not suited for Super fuel. The relevant list of these vehicles was already published by the ADAC on March 1st this year.
All oil-change intervals as prescribed by us remain unchanged, irrespective of the use of E10 fuel.”
Dack,

Did you ever hear anything about the meet they had on tuesday dealing with the E10??

Saw a tanker on base and I decided to go and ask him with my awesome german language and asked him what he was carrying. He told me Diesel, Super unleaded with 5% and Superplus with 5% also

AND THEY STILL DON'T HAVE THE PUMPS MARKED APPROPRIATELY
      03-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #70
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Yea Nick, I have been following this E10 saga in the German news. There has been a lot of finger pointing going on in Berlin. Basically the Bundes (German government) says it is all the petroleum industry’s problem because they brought out a new product with zero consumer education. The petroleum industry says they were forced to sell this Bio gas E10 ethanol because the Bundes made them do so. The petroleum industry said normally they would pull a product when it has this much negative feed back – but the Bundes said that is not going to happen. Then the Bundes wants a written garranty from the auto industry. The auto industry said NO! Even though they say E10 fuel is ok to use in their cars. But the auto industry also says using E10 will cause more wear and tear on the engine (and fuel delivery system) – and now they are saying the IF you use E10 you should change your engine oil more frequently do to fuel dilution. Btw the average oil change in Germany cost consumers 200 euros!

The only real positive thing that came out of this meeting was the Bundes said “some” gas stations will start to get these consumer computer kiosks – where you can look up your car model and year and see IF you can use E10 or not. I heard on Antenna Bayern that in Ingolstadt (I think it was a Shell gas station) they got one of the first ones (Kiosks).

The Bundes still insists that some 93% of the registered cars in Germany CAN use E10. But… still NINE out of ten German consumers are buying SuperPlus! I would too – for only seven cents more per liter they KNOW the gas is safe – because SuperPlus is unchanged in its formula.

Then the Greens are starting their speed limit theme again! Says that E10 only saves so many barrels of fuel per year… while a 120 kph nation autobahn speed lmit would save even more fuel! The Greens are getting together with Greenpeace on this. But I don’t think we will see a National German speed limit anytime soon.

Nick, I don’t know why your Esso truck driver says it has 5% ethanol in SuperPlus. ? It is my understanding that Super has up too 5% ethanol. E10 Super has up too 10%. But SuperPlus is unchanged – 100% benzin!

I guess we shall see what happens. I give it another month of the German public boycotting this E10 and we see what the Bundes will do then. I can not see this stuff being sold for too much longer. Once the Germans start running out of SuperPlus when Easter holidays start... we shall see more pressure put on the Bundes.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #71
marcus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Guter Beitrag Dackel.

On the spang pumps it does say SuperPlus 5% ethanol. Even if that is true it better than that E10 crap.
      03-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #72
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Well.. maybe on base. But at the German Esso I have never seen that.

Like I have said before, the pumps on base (and the underground storage tanks) rarely get inspected or tested. But off post the TUV constantly inspects the fuel labels, quality and quanity. That is why I always buy my fuel off post.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #73
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Dack, I wish I could've got a pic of his delivery docs but he was very clear on what he was carrying. It was funny too 'cause one of the words he used was "scheize" when he reffered to the gas.
      03-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #74
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
have you gotten gas on base?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
Guter Beitrag Dackel.

On the spang pumps it does say SuperPlus 5% ethanol. Even if that is true it better than that E10 crap.
Not sure what you are driving since it's not listed on your avatar,,,are you buying gas onbase? any issues?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #75
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx135 View Post
Not sure what you are driving since it's not listed on your avatar,,,are you buying gas onbase? any issues?
When I found out they had 5% ethanol in the Superplus, I stopped. Now I drive to Amberg or Weiden and fill up at the Esso there. Unadulterated gas stations FTW!!!!!!
      03-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #76
marcus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx135 View Post
2011 135i. On base(no issues so far), I gotta find an Esso around where i live, so I can buy it there. You're right Dackel with the TUV inspections.
      09-04-2015, 07:28 PM   #77
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 01:31 PM   #78
SchismX
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: '10 135i

Wish there were E85 stations near me
      09-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #79
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchismX View Post
Wish there were E85 stations near me
Where do you live? Most towns do have them. Normally its a no name Tankstellen that sells Bio Fuels...

http://www.fuelcat.de/tankstellen-in...utschland.html

enter you zip code and or city to find the nearest e85 gas station...
http://ethanol85.info/e85-tankstelle...in-deutschland

http://www.ethanol-tanken.com/index....tank_name=alle
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2015, 01:47 PM   #80
SchismX
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: '10 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Where do you live? Most towns do have them. Normally its a no name Tankstellen that sells Bio Fuels...

http://www.fuelcat.de/tankstellen-in...utschland.html

enter you zip code and or city to find the nearest e85 gas station...
http://ethanol85.info/e85-tankstelle...in-deutschland

http://www.ethanol-tanken.com/index....tank_name=alle
I live in Orenhofen, it's about 100km to the nearest station.
      09-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #81
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchismX View Post
I live in Orenhofen, it's about 100km to the nearest station.
Ahhh I see. Near Spang. There must be some stations near the 'Ring. ?
Maybe 135i OREO would know. He's works on Spang AFB.

Sorry I can't help more. I am living in Bayern, near Nurnberg.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #82
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Alrighty, we have had basically E10 in all our fuels for YEARS! There are only one or two without it, like Shell Premium.

No issues with it really, not sure why you guys are getting so worked up about it.

Never heard of anybody that can't use it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 06:42 PM   #83
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Alrighty, we have had basically E10 in all our fuels for YEARS! There are only one or two without it, like Shell Premium.

No issues with it really, not sure why you guys are getting so worked up about it.

Never heard of anybody that can't use it.
^^That's good to know. But over here most of the fuels have a very low sulfur content. Back in 2011 the German Government rolled out this "new fuel" think everyone would switch to it. In fact most Germans do not use it. I've noticed at some gas stations the E10 pumps even have spider webs on the hoses... bc no one uses that fuel! lol

The main problem I had with it... was that first engineers from BMW said it is not known what problems the E10 will cause long term. This one engineer from BMW AG got a lot of press for a few days... then BMW came out with a press statement saying it is "ok to use" in their cars. While many other German makers said... only their "newer" cars (built after 2008 to 2011's) could use it safely.

The main problem most Germans have with this eco or bio fuel... is it raised the fuel prices some 10 to 15 cents over night. Now fuel prices have settled. But still... most Germans do not use this E10 fuel. Most use Super E05 or SuperPlus (premium) which has NO ethanol in it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 06:55 PM   #84
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Well, it is all we have here. We have no choice. A lot of older BMW's running around here too.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2015, 02:50 PM   #85
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

MMT and I live in same Canadian city. I believe our best fuel (Super or Premium) does not have any ethanol. Anyways, all BMW owners I know use only Super/Premium.
Most boat marinas only sell premium; boats sit idle for 8,9 months of a year and ethanol would severely hurt their motors during this time.
Many people with lawnmowers, motorcycles, snow blowers, chain saws use only premium also.
Today Nov 12th we are paying Cdn $ 1.06 a litre which is about US $ 0.80 a litre.
Appreciate 1