BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
Swadeness
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I got orders!

I heard a sweet little rumor today that I got orders for Spang! I won't know for sure untill I can get to my work email but I got the word from a legit source. I have always wanted to get stationed in Germany so this is great news! Any of you guys have any advice for someone PCS'ing there from a car enthusiast standpoint?

Thanks
      03-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Spangdahlem AFB is very close to the 'Ring. You will love it over there! Driving along the Mosel (river) is also quite nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Driving in Bavaria is always nice. Make sure you double check with your dealer and/or with BMW about your warranty and how long does it cover over here. For guys buying through the Military car sales program (Pentagon or Bavarian Motor Cars) it's 2 years here. So you might want to check that.

Also, if you are coming over here you will definetly need this.....
http://www.stuttgart.army.mil/Docume...r/aer190-1.pdf

http://www.hqusareur.army.mil/rmv/re.../aep190-34.pdf

Top one is the regulation that covers vehicle registration and liscencing in Europe. Get VERY, VERY acquainted with it. Since you have a 2011, you can get a 2 year registration off the bat. The second one you better start studying NOW since those are the signs and signals you have to learn so you can pass your drivers test.

Best of luck and whatever you need just ask. You must be on MacDill. My cousin used to work there in CENTCOM and my mom and brother are in Tampa.
      03-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
spang135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 alpine white 135

Spang is great as long as its not frozen over lol a ton of good roads to drive around here you will love it. also word on the street is the auto hobby shop is getting a dyno not a 100% on this seen it in a military car forum haven't stop by to ask yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 02:16 AM   #5
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

As far as the enthusiast point of view you'll be where you can actually drive your car the way it was ment to be. Follow the links Elsabor sent, the drivin test is not a joke and has a, not real, but high first time failure rate. Mostly because people don't put effort into learning/study. You'll get 2 yrs/24K warrenty here so don't buy any stateside warrenty extension. Places like Pentagon car sales can get an exteded that the Germans will warrent. Spang is beautiful area and allot of us are in the area there or here in Ramstein.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
Swadeness
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like this is going to be a sweet assignment, getting to drive the Autobahn and the ring will be a dream come tru! Its good to hear there is a good number of you guys in the area, do you guys meet up on a regular basis? I'll be sure to start studying for that driving test. I'm going to have to do some research and find out how my warranty is going to work. I bought the car through Pentagon and had it delivered stateside last July. Does this mean my 4yr warranty goes away?

I don't have a sponsor yet so I'm hoping you guys could help with a couple of initial q's that I thought of.

- Housing. Is it an unrealistic expectation to get a place that has a garage? Due to the winter weather and security reasons I would like to be able to keep the 135 inside when possible.

- Registering vehicles. Can I buy a second vehicle as a daily driver, or are there regulations limiting the number of vehicles I can own there.

- Car mods. If I have any mods on the car will this cause problems going through inspection after my car arrives? If so, what mods should I hold off on.

- Will I need to make any mods so it conforms to european standards?

Any expierience or advice you guys have on this would be greatly apreciated. Sorry for all the questions, I will look over the links you sent me closely to try and answer some of my own questions.

Thanks
Wade
      03-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep

Housing, I've got a two stall garage. Allot of houses have garages or at least cover. I wouldn't worry too much about security up that way, if you were moving to K-Town that would be a diff story. You'll have to see whats avaliable when you get in. The housing office "should" be able to filter a list for you around having a garage. Allot of folks have a daily. You can own a total of 3, last I checked, vehicles. The only two mods which could cause a problem are front window (driver side/passenger side) tint (illegal) and a too loud exhaust although my UUC on my 325 passed and the Germans loved it. 95dbls is the max. Other than that mod away.
No mods to fit euro standards, which by the way are less saftey minded than the States. You can bring a US spec here but can't bring a Euro spec back-unless you bring it to US standards. Your BMWNA warranty won't apply here but you'll still get 2yrs/24k or whats left.
I'm a newer member to the 1er scene here, sold my 325 prior to deployment last June, and only have 2,500k on mine but I've watched this board for a while and these guys here try to get a good number of rides in together plus our Euro brothers. You'll only be about 2 hrs away from me and there are a few up there already.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #8
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
All I have to say is, L46 from Spang to Trier is
B249 From Badem to the Ring is
And A60 from Spang to A1 or Belgium is pretty much no speed limit.

What more is there to know?

I'm so jealous.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
Swadeness
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDM68 View Post
Housing, I've got a two stall garage. Allot of houses have garages or at least cover. I wouldn't worry too much about security up that way, if you were moving to K-Town that would be a diff story. You'll have to see whats avaliable when you get in. The housing office "should" be able to filter a list for you around having a garage. Allot of folks have a daily. You can own a total of 3, last I checked, vehicles. The only two mods which could cause a problem are front window (driver side/passenger side) tint (illegal) and a too loud exhaust although my UUC on my 325 passed and the Germans loved it.
Nice. I am going to try and keep my daily and get a garage to keep the 1 in. Unfortunately I just got my windows tinted so I may have to get it removed. Other than being a PIA its not that big of a deal because the tint is a little darker than I had hoped. Anyways thanks again for the info, I'm sure I'll be keeping in touch and asking some more questions as Oct. gets closer.

thanks
Wade
      03-10-2011, 06:00 AM   #10
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
tint

You may be alright by just removing side tints....as far as I know, the only issues with tint is the side driver/passenger windows....I have my quarter panel windows and back window tinted pretty dark.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #11
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep

Yeah just the front windows will have to go. At least until after your inspect. If your coming over in Oct you'll want to mount snow tires prior though.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #12
BMW-NC
Selling drugs to BMW addicts
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i e82 6MT N55

I'm in Baumholder, 30 minutes south of Spang. So if you want to go for a drive, we are a few 135s down here, should be fun!
@Rikx135: How have you been, buddy? It's Ray, the guy who helped Chris to put you into your car
      03-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-NC View Post
I'm in Baumholder, 30 minutes south of Spang. So if you want to go for a drive, we are a few 135s down here, should be fun!
@Rikx135: How have you been, buddy? It's Ray, the guy who helped Chris to put you into your car
I know who you are BMW-NC...how could I forget that exhaust?...been looking for you on the forums....you been hiding.

Both of you...join us 1'ers 14-15 May to Nurburgring.....check out the trip we're planning here in the European forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep

Garage List
if you love your 1'er...buy a winter cruiser instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDM68 View Post
Yeah just the front windows will have to go. At least until after your inspect. If your coming over in Oct you'll want to mount snow tires prior though.
And save the 1series all wax up and hiding for the nasty winter. I drive an Audi Quattro A4 during the winter, it's a mule in the snow
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx135 View Post
I know who you are BMW-NC...how could I forget that exhaust?...been looking for you on the forums....you been hiding.

Both of you...join us 1'ers 14-15 May to Nurburgring.....check out the trip we're planning here in the European forum.

Und... don't forget on May 21st we will all be meeting at the BMW Welt. The 1er forum guys and 1addicts guys!!! We should have atleast 40+ 1er's there.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #16
Swadeness
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Damm you guys got a lot of stuff going on over there, makes me wish I was there already. I'm in the middle of a two month mini "deployment" right now and it sucks being away from the 1. I shouldn't complain though, if I curb the partying and save some of my per diem I should be able to pay off the car and by some goodies when I get back. Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing you guys post some pics and reviews of your meet ups.
      03-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #17
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-NC View Post
Hey BMW-NC we'll have to get together if I ever get a day off again. I reciently hit the roads up that way. I live close to Kusel and have been doing some road scouting latley. Takes me about 15 minutes or so to get to Baumholder.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 03:07 AM   #18
BMW-NC
Selling drugs to BMW addicts
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i e82 6MT N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx135 View Post
Sounds like an awesome idea! Just need to get my VMR Wheels prior to that ANd the suspension, and the roof, and... omg, SO much to do, SO little money
But the date is still so far out, I think I should be able to handle it....

Oh and on a different note: There is a Car-HIFI meet in

Am Grenzgraben 10
55545 Bad Kreuznach
Parking lot of the Space Park Club.

this sunday. So if anyone in the area is into HIFI --> GO!