BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228iC -picked up 8-13-16!

Lightbulb New 2013 1 series order questions!

--I currently am leasing a beautiful optioned out 2011 128i convertible which I ordered May 2010.

Since the new 2013 pricing was confirmed and released it looks Like I can get an E88 again instead of buying out my current 128i vert.
Or being forced into getting the first year of the F23 or whatever it's going to be called. Seems like a Bad idea.

--My car is very nicely put together color/combination-wise. BMW doesn't offer anything currently in 2012-2013 that can come out looking as perfect as the 2011 year for Blue Water Metallic. My opinion ...but Blue Water and All-Grey interior looks perfect together.

My 11' 128i is Blue Water Metallic ,ALL 1 color Grey interior, Moonlight black Metallic top, and Grey Poplar wood trim.

I can't see any positives for me since in May 2013 when I am ordering my next E88. I may opt for a 135i, but the engine is not the problem. I'm not looking for a car to drive hard, It just has to be elegant and fun to drive like my E30. The 128i does that adequately!

I love blue water (my e30 is cirrus blue, basically the 80's version of blue water)
Only issue is this 2-tone interior deal. It doesn't look good with blue water. BMW doesn't even offer Grey leather interior anymore anyways.

SO basically the only interiors that would look good on blue water is Taupe or Oyster (but I can't see myself getting it due to the black / oyster combo.

The Moonlight black metallic top is perfect...it looks close to grey in color. More of like a graphite color.

WHAT should I do? Get taupe, with a moonlight top and ahthricite wood trim....or taupe with a taupe top and anthricite wood trim?

OR just go another route with Lemans Blue, moonlight metallic top, anthricite wood trim and black interior??

This is going to be alot harder!!!!

Atleast I'll have LCI's like my dad (11' VO 1M) and mom (12' titanium 128i vert)
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Xtian
Illuminated
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

So, so many problems.

Go black on black on black and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
coda72
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i convertible

I would go with LeMans blue with the moonlight top. As far as the interior, I was going to go with black, but black gets very hot if the car's sitting out in the sun with the top down. I got the taupe leatherette, and mine is not that much 2 toned. The only things black on mine are the steering wheel, radio, top of dash, and gear shift. The inside of the doors are taupe as is the carpet.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by coda72 View Post
I would go with LeMans blue with the moonlight top. As far as the interior, I was going to go with black, but black gets very hot if the car's sitting out in the sun with the top down. I got the taupe leatherette, and mine is not that much 2 toned. The only things black on mine are the steering wheel, radio, top of dash, and gear shift. The inside of the doors are taupe as is the carpet.
I may have understood incorrectly, but I recall that BMW uses some special leather or coating on the seats of a convertible.
Yes, no? The coating or material is supposed to resist heat up, or least not get as hot.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I may have understood incorrectly, but I recall that BMW uses some special leather or coating on the seats of a convertible.
Yes, no? The coating or material is supposed to resist heat up, or least not get as hot.
Yes. This is true. My seats are never hot. They resist heat better then you can imagine.

*Oh, and the Taupe...that is the "only" color interior that comes in all 1 color...and I guess that they kept it as the only all 1 color interior because a majority of people ordering 1 series get taupe. It goes with every color just about.

My all grey 1 color interior was not that popular I guess. BMW seems to saving money for production on the current 1 series cars. There must be a parts bin of black plastic bits. Top of seat plastic pull lever trims, full door cards, black leather arm rests and all that stuff...They must have a supply of all this black bits to slap on all the interior choices ordered other than taupe @ the Leipzig plant.

Don't know what to go with yet...but I got some time.
Sapphire black metallic/black/anthricite wood, and a moonlight top would be nice.

I almost got Lemans blue last time, but it looked too dark in some lighting. If I was going to be blue...I would choose blue water

Like I said, I would def. get it again but BMW's interior choices make it a worse look than I currently have and that would make no sense in getting a NEW 1. I'd want it to be better than my current car in the looks department.

*To be honest BMW marketed Blue Water in 2008 in the press catalog with Taupe interior. It probably is the only color right now that looks good with blue water. Only problem with that is you would assume a taupe top would look better than black if you selected a interior color in the tan/brown family. A taupe top would look ideal. (Then it would look like a classy woman's car lol).
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I could understand that. No reason to want to get rid of my 128i. Only thing is: My lease will be up in July 2013 and I'm trying to figure out if i should just get another E88...but now they have uglier interiors available IMHO and that just stops me dead in my tracks with confusion. I love blue water metallic. I'd hope to get that color again....this time on a M sport 135i. Now I can't get light grey interior...In my opinion nothing goes well with Blue Water Metallic because of the two-tone black/color choice interiors. I just came across this 2012 135i with savanna beige...looks great, but then you see the black door cards and arm rest. Kills it. If you are trying to match it with a Blue Water Metallic exterior.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptempo80 View Post
I could understand that. No reason to want to get rid of my 128i. Only thing is: My lease will be up in July 2013 and I'm trying to figure out if i should just get another E88...but now they have uglier interiors available IMHO and that just stops me dead in my tracks with confusion. I love blue water metallic. I'd hope to get that color again....this time on a M sport 135i. Now I can't get light grey interior...In my opinion nothing goes well with Blue Water Metallic because of the two-tone black/color choice interiors. I just came across this 2012 135i with savanna beige...looks great, but then you see the black door cards and arm rest. Kills it. If you are trying to match it with a Blue Water Metallic exterior.
I park next to a 2012 Blue Water 135i coupe with gray interior most mornings at work. It is a nice looking combo. It seems like all black would go reasonably well (black goes with everything, right?), but maybe not so much with the convertible.

Is buying out the lease not an option?
      05-21-2012, 05:42 AM   #8
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I park next to a 2012 Blue Water 135i coupe with gray interior most mornings at work. It is a nice looking combo. It seems like all black would go reasonably well (black goes with everything, right?), but maybe not so much with the convertible.

Is buying out the lease not an option?
That was my plan...unfortunately I scraped the front spoiler lip on friday going up a steep driveway. I touched it up but it is still easily visible. Talking to the head BMW dealership painter today.

I also have these horrendous rock chips and the hood needs a air brushing /blending or repaint because of it looks terrible.

http://www.fototime.com/inv/C3772380FA21096

check the photos above for the stone chips. Don't have one of the front lip...but it is under there at the fang-looking part below the lip part on the spoiler. Not visible much unless you are looking at it from a lower view.

I'm afraid the paint will never match and that would defeat the purpose of buying the car out.
(the touch up paint is oem bmw and it doesnt match at all)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #9
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The BMW touch-up paint sticks are horrible. Google Dr ColorChip, I think it is much easier to use and I've been happy with the results.

Whether you get into a new BMW or not, you're going to have a problem with rock chips. I've never had a car that chipped this bad (then again, I've never had a car on which I noticed these sorts of things so much). I think other manufacturers are having this issue as well, and it has more to do with more environmentally-friendly paint formulations than with any manufacturer-wide defect.
      05-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
dvno
Curbs are dumb
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
White people problems, lol.

Just keep the '11 if you like it. I don't get it.
First world problem for sure!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #11
coda72
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
That is true if you opt for leather, but I'm not sure the leatherette has the same coating on it. I have leatherette, not leather as I said above. Maybe someone who has black leather can comment on whether the seats still get hot. I would think black is going to absorb some heat whether the seats are coated or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
One3five
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob
White people problems, lol.

Just keep the '11 if you like it. I don't get it.
Lol

TS, why dont you keep your 11' since their arent any significant changes to the 2013. I would only consider re-leasing another 1 series if it were a 135i.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #13
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by One3five View Post
Lol

TS, why dont you keep your 11' since their arent any significant changes to the 2013. I would only consider re-leasing another 1 series if it were a 135i.
If I would lease another one it would be a 135i as stated above...I just can't get over the poor selection choices there are now for interiors. IMHO, though.
*I would love the 135i but I'd have a hard time pondering the decision to lease-to-own that car.

My 128i's original goal was to lease-to-own,,but only if it wasn't involved in an accient or peppered with road rash.

Last edited by Uptempo80; 05-22-2012 at 11:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #14
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The BMW touch-up paint sticks are horrible. Google Dr ColorChip, I think it is much easier to use and I've been happy with the results.

Whether you get into a new BMW or not, you're going to have a problem with rock chips. I've never had a car that chipped this bad (then again, I've never had a car on which I noticed these sorts of things so much). I think other manufacturers are having this issue as well, and it has more to do with more environmentally-friendly paint formulations than with any manufacturer-wide defect.
You are 100% correct. New environmentally-friendly paints (water based) are not as durable as what eople are used to I guess. Stone chips are easily noticible when you purchase a new car...so it's more painful to experience watching your new car get messed up when there is nothing you can do about it...

Not a fan of Dr. Colorchip, professionals in the auto paint world have told me that it is worthless. Still I may get it for the microscopic sand-speck like stone chips that you can't access yourself without smearing paint into the blemish. Dr. Colorchip does that, so that would be the reason to get it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #15
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not a fan of Dr. Colorchip, professionals in the auto paint world have told me that it is worthless. Still I may get it for the microscopic sand-speck like stone chips that you can't access yourself without smearing paint into the blemish. Dr. Colorchip does that, so that would be the reason to get it.
Well, I guess it depends on what your definition of "worthless" is. To me, it is sort of invaluable, and worth far more then the few dollars of product and ten minutes or so per application that I spend. Yeah, it's far from factory perfect, but what do these "professionals in the auto paint world" of yours suggest as an alternative? A respray? No argument from me that it will look better, but at a dozen times the cost. And are you supposed to have your car in for a respray every time you get a rock chip? Or once a year? Personally, I have better things to spend my money on and Dr ColorChip, at $39 a bottle, works for me. Even though I've done the repairs myself, it takes some effort to find them. I imagine for the passerby that the defects are unnoticeable. YMMV, of course.

It sounds sort of like you want show car looks with daily driver functionality.
      05-26-2012, 12:53 AM   #16
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

1 week of Winter in NEPA did it!

Quote:
Well, I guess it depends on what your definition of "worthless" is. To me, it is sort of invaluable, and worth far more then the few dollars of product and ten minutes or so per application that I spend. Yeah, it's far from factory perfect, but what do these "professionals in the auto paint world" of yours suggest as an alternative? A respray? No argument from me that it will look better, but at a dozen times the cost. And are you supposed to have your car in for a respray every time you get a rock chip? Or once a year? Personally, I have better things to spend my money on and Dr ColorChip, at $39 a bottle, works for me. Even though I've done the repairs myself, it takes some effort to find them. I imagine for the passerby that the defects are unnoticeable. YMMV, of course.

It sounds sort of like you want show car looks with daily driver functionality.
I don't know. I guess My worthless statement was a lil too much.. but Dr. Colorship don't do much if you have deep crater rock chips...that's what I was referring to. I'd only invest in it for filling in micro-sized chips that are not relatively deep (or down to the metal/primer coat). The one rock chip above the kidney grille is deep, down to the primer and at the jagged edge of the chip there is a crack/line which was covered up with BMW OEM clear touchup paint the day I noticed the chip last december. The chip was painted immediately and the clear shortly after. I only touched up the chip with 1 application...as I was contemplating what to do.

*My car is a spring/summer car only..not a daily driver....however while my dd was in the shop for rust repair, I was driving my 1 series in December for LESS then 1 week and I got that crater blitz rushing to work in the morning one day on the freeway. I'm certain that the chip occurred that day. I was going over 100 mph and there were a few semi's I couldn't aviod.

The paint chip air brushing is going to be an extra with the bumper scuffing repair. I was discussing how dis-satisfied with the OEM touch up paint not matching and he offered to do it for me as an extra while painting the suffed bumper. The goal is to air brush the chips to match the factory paint in exacting color. Yes, The chips will still be there & noticable to ME, but not many others. That's the goal. Matching paint. I'm sure he'll hit the area on the hood with a few sprays.. & then level them down with a wet sand/polish. Of the 2 chips I have the one is over-filled waiting for a wet sand, and the other is the crater one with a 1 coat touch up.

Total cost is $250 for both services

I live in Northeastern PA. Not Florida. Florida: Grad School

Last edited by Uptempo80; 10-08-2012 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #17
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, I guess we just disagree on what Dr ColorChip is good for. I use it on deep, down to metal chips almost exclusively. In two years of ownership, I'd guess that I've had at least 6 such chips, maybe more? I just can't be in and out of a body shop that much. I'm not sure how much time and money professional-level work would've cost me at this point, but I'm still on my first $39 bottle of DCC. Of course, the body shop guys would do a better job, but I swear I would probably just get another rock chip on the way home from a respray. If it was just a matter of paying the money to get it done right once, then I would gladly do it - but it's a constant battle with these rock chips, and it's going to last the life of the car.

That said, I think you're going to have the same problem with any new BMW (and possibly any new car, period), so I'm not sure how a trade will solve your problems. Except to start from scratch, so to speak.
      06-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #18
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, I guess we just disagree on what Dr ColorChip is good for. I use it on deep, down to metal chips almost exclusively. In two years of ownership, I'd guess that I've had at least 6 such chips, maybe more? I just can't be in and out of a body shop that much. I'm not sure how much time and money professional-level work would've cost me at this point, but I'm still on my first $39 bottle of DCC. Of course, the body shop guys would do a better job, but I swear I would probably just get another rock chip on the way home from a respray. If it was just a matter of paying the money to get it done right once, then I would gladly do it - but it's a constant battle with these rock chips, and it's going to last the life of the car.

That said, I think you're going to have the same problem with any new BMW (and possibly any new car, period), so I'm not sure how a trade will solve your problems. Except to start from scratch, so to speak.
That would be the tempory answer...start from scratch and have a NEW lci facelifted 1 series. I don't think it could get worse than the chips I've gotten in my E88. As stated earlier, my 1988 325i I've owned for 13+ years and have never recieved a stone chip worse than the ones on my 2011 BMW. The largest ones are pencil point sized stone chips.

Still not sure what I'm going to do in the future, I have lots of time to continue to weight out my decision on a new 2013 E88.

On a side note:
I had my car airbrushed professionally this weekend and got the car back yesterday. I'm very pleased with the results
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #19
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update: I just spotted a blue water metallic E88 with Taupe Interior & the M Sport Pkg and a Moonlight Black Metallic top...Spot on to close to my 2011 combo.

I'm thinking about the M Sport Pkg on a 135i with the taupe, moonlight and anthricite gloss wood trim. Very interested in the "Active Steering". I think upgrading to a 135i may be FUN. (I'll miss the grey dakota leather & silver aluminum window/boot line trims!!)

What do you guys think of this combo??
A 135i?
Sport Pkg (is it worth it?)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #20
Bob Z.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i Vert

Quote:
Yes. This is true. My seats are never hot. They resist heat better then you can imagine.

*Oh, and the Taupe...that is the "only" color interior that comes in all 1 color...and I guess that they kept it as the only all 1 color interior because a majority of people ordering 1 series get taupe. It goes with every color just about.

My all grey 1 color interior was not that popular I guess. BMW seems to saving money for production on the current 1 series cars. There must be a parts bin of black plastic bits. Top of seat plastic pull lever trims, full door cards, black leather arm rests and all that stuff...They must have a supply of all this black bits to slap on all the interior choices ordered other than taupe @ the Leipzig plant.

Don't know what to go with yet...but I got some time.
Sapphire black metallic/black/anthricite wood, and a moonlight top would be nice.

I almost got Lemans blue last time, but it looked too dark in some lighting. If I was going to be blue...I would choose blue water

Like I said, I would def. get it again but BMW's interior choices make it a worse look than I currently have and that would make no sense in getting a NEW 1. I'd want it to be better than my current car in the looks department.

*To be honest BMW marketed Blue Water in 2008 in the press catalog with Taupe interior. It probably is the only color right now that looks good with blue water. Only problem with that is you would assume a taupe top would look better than black if you selected a interior color in the tan/brown family. A taupe top would look ideal. (Then it would look like a classy woman's car lol).
What do you mean by "Taupe...that is the "only" color interior that comes in all 1 color..."? If I pick Taupe as my interior color, with Le Mans Blue and a Taupe top, does that mean that the dash, steering wheel, etc. will be Taupe? It does not seem so based on when I built in on bmwusa.
Appreciate 0