BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
lakylester
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i, A4

Loss of power

Hi guys,

I went to a shop in north jersey today to get my Downpipes on. Although it does sound good, I notice a huge loss of power. I have a jb4 on map 2 and it feels like less power then the stock map. I also notice "uneven" turbo intake sounds upon acceleration.

If anyone has had similar issues or think they know what the problem is; any Healy would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Are you throwing any codes? I am going to take a wild guess that the person who did the installation probably switched around the black and grey o2 sensors.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
lakylester
Private First Class
Rep

Nope, not throwing any codes.

It seems to be a turbo issue since the intake and power is off. I have a bov and I can barley hear it now.

Could the dps be interfering with the wastegate/turbo? I know the wastegate actuator valve is located near the dps. Has anyone ran into wastegate problems with a dp install? And could that be the diagnostic for loss of power/"uneven" turbo intake sound?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakylester

It seems to be a turbo issue since the intake and power is off. I have a bov and I can barley hear it now.

Could the dps be interfering with the wastegate/turbo? I know the wastegate actuator valve is located near the dps. Has anyone ran into wastegate problems with a dp install? And could that be the diagnostic for loss of power/"uneven" turbo intake sound?
Yes, it is possible that you accidentally bumped the wastegate actuator and it is stuck open right now, it happened on my car, but after getting back under there my friend and I were able to jiggle it back free and I haven't had an issue for over a year.

Just a thought but it does sound likely

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
n54door
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i 6AT FBO - MHD Tuned

^ good input. love this forum!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
lakylester
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc
Quote:

Yes, it is possible that you accidentally bumped the wastegate actuator and it is stuck open right now, it happened on my car, but after getting back under there my friend and I were able to jiggle it back free and I haven't had an issue for over a year.

Thank you for the input. I'm going to call the shop tomorrow and see what they can do.

Were you experiencing the same strange intake sounds I had? Also, i drove the dodge to my gals house so I can't check, but should I be able to hear the waste gate clearly if it is stuck open?

Great advise guys I really appreciate the thought & time
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc
Quote:

Thank you for the input. I'm going to call the shop tomorrow and see what they can do.

Were you experiencing the same strange intake sounds I had? Also, i drove the dodge to my gals house so I can't check, but should I be able to hear the waste gate clearly if it is stuck open?

Great advise guys I really appreciate the thought & time
The Intake did sound funky, the main things that I noticed was a significantly louder exhaust note, and a lack of power.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
lakylester
Private First Class
Rep

I feel like I'm only getting 2 or 3 pounds of boost. I can hear and feel almost no pressure in my intake tract.

It does feel a lot louder, but I was guessing that was from removing the catalyst hahah. I'll throw her up in ramps tmr and see if I can feel any airflow near the downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
lakylester
Private First Class
Rep

Anyone else have any related experience?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakylester View Post
Do you have your JB set to "auto clear". You might be throwing codes and the JB is clearing them before your ECL comes on.

The most common problem when installing downpipes is the tech/mechanic installs the O2 sensors backwards. There are pre cat and post cat O2 sensors.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #11
lakylester
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakylester View Post
Do you have your JB set to "auto clear". You might be throwing codes and the JB is clearing them before your ECL comes on.

The most common problem when installing downpipes is the tech/mechanic installs the O2 sensors backwards. There are pre cat and post cat O2 sensors.
I'll check when I get home from work if the jb is set to autoclear.

Is there a way to differentiate between the precat and postcat sensors?

Also, I do hear a rattle under the car upon cold start/throttle.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #12
geared
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90' s54 325i ; 93' carrera 2

Garage List
2008 Corvette z-06  [0.00]
2015 BMW m3  [10.00]
Quote:
removing the catalyst hahah
if you dont have cats, the order of the 02's shouldnt matter right? and correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the "precat" sensors wires are long enough to reach the post cat spot on the dp's without OBV stretching them.....but I could be wrong

i'd say the downpipe isnt seated properly to the turbo with that clamp.

make sure auto clear is on\

Last edited by geared; 11-29-2012 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
My guess is the clamps are blocking the waste gate actuators and your jb is clearing the code.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
lakylester
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes
My guess is the clamps are blocking the waste gate actuators and your jb is clearing the code.
This was exactly the case. Thanks a lot guys.
This is good reference for anyone wanting to install downpipes soon. This is a pretty common issue.
Appreciate 0