BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
pcgeek86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 135is

135is - Transmission problem (2nd gear)

Hey folks,

I bought a Le Mans Blue 2013 (the only year) BMW 135is, with a 6-speed manual transmission, back in October 2013. It's a gorgeous car, and I love it, however I've been having a problem with the transmission. After several months of owning it, the 2nd gear started grinding whenever I shift from 1st to 2nd, or 3rd down to 2nd (to engine brake). It typically happens at higher RPMs, anything above 4000-4500. You don't have to even shift aggressively, only moderately quickly, to reproduce the symptoms. The problem does not occur shifting into any other gears.

For what it's worth, the clutch is definitely all the way down. I went out on a test drive with the dealership's service manager and my service advisor today, and they clearly saw the issue reproduced. A couple months back, I did a test drive with the shop foreman, and they were easily able to see the issue reproduced. They were closely watching what I was doing, and even BMW service personnel have tested it out and confirmed the problem.

A couple months back, the dealership replaced the transmission with a new one, and it seemed to help a little bit initially, however the problem came back in full force a couple weeks ago. I'm starting to encounter some resistance with getting this problem resolved once and for all. Any thoughts on the above?

My first two cars (about 12 years ago) were both manual transmissions, and I never had any problems like this with them. They were cheap, used cars, too. Both of them were Saturns, to be exact. In other words, I have plenty of experience driving manual transmissions. My friend has a 2008 BMW M3, and he was easily able to reproduce the issue this past weekend.

Cheers,
Trevor
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

2nd gear syncro is bad. And since BMW doesn't sell the part by itself... a new rebuilt trans is in order. I hope your car is still under warranty.

You could try changing your manual trans fluid. But its a worn syncro. I use Red Line's ATF-D4 in my 6MT, it does make for lower shifting effort. But it will only help, not sure your problem.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
pcgeek86
United_States
Rep

Like I said, they replaced the transmission with a brand new one, a couple months ago. That didn't seem to resolve the issue completely.

And yes, the car is under warranty. It was purchased brand new, and only has 14k miles on it.

Cheers,
Trevor
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgeek86 View Post
Like I said, they replaced the transmission with a brand new one, a couple months ago. That didn't seem to resolve the issue completely.

And yes, the car is under warranty. It was purchased brand new, and only has 14k miles on it.

Cheers,
Trevor

Did they also replace the clutch? Maybe its hanging up some? No trouble selecting first gear or reverse when the engine is hot?

Just because its a new part doesn't mean its a GOOD part. Its rebuilt, not new. So maybe you got a bad one. ???

The other thing that comes to my mind is the CDV(clutch delay valve). Its most noticeable(delay) when selecting 1st and 2nd gears. Maybe you can talk your dealer into removing it before they warranty another trans/clutch. ?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #5
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

How about a faulty clutch master cylinder? I had mine replaced under warranty due to a sticking clutch pedal. It looks like a small cylinder and sits right behind your pedal. Like DACK mentionef, you should consider installing a CDV delete valve too...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
How about a faulty clutch master cylinder? I had mine replaced under warranty due to a sticking clutch pedal. It looks like a small cylinder and sits right behind your pedal. Like DACK mentioned, you should consider installing a CDV delete valve too...
When you replace either your clutch slave or master cylinder... and only one of them was replaced... the other will soon fail. Its bc of the pressure different with the new vs old part. So when ever you need to replace one... also replace the other one - to avoid more problems down the road.

For the OP... I think your shop should first try new trans fluid. Then CDV delete. Then a new (2nd rebuilt)trans.

Keep us all posted & good luck.
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
pcgeek86
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the tips. The first thing that they did, before replacing the transmission, was to replace the transmission fluid. Sorry for not mentioning that - it was a few months ago.

I'm not entirely sure I understand what the Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) is .. are you suggesting that I should ask the dealer to remove it completely, or replace it with a new one? Is it a requirement to have one?

From the Wikipedia definition of a CDV, it actually sounds like the CDV (if present), is beneficial for the symptoms that I'm seeing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_delay_valve

I will try to make a video to reproduce the issue for you guys, and post it to YouTube. My YouTube channel is "pcgeek86" and I have posted other popular car videos in the past, in regards to my Hyundai Sonata. Once I produce the video about this transmission issue in the 135is, I will post back to this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/user/pcgeek86

Cheers,
Trevor
Appreciate 0