BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Question for L.A. Drivers re No Front Plate Fix-It Ticket Solutions

This question is mostly for people in L.A. who got fix it tickets for having no front plate as I had the pleasure of getting one today. I was just curious if people have presented the tow-hook mounted plates and if the sheriff has signed off on and approved that, or any other possible solutions short of drilling holes in my beloved bumper to install the BMW bracket.

I know sometimes people get really creative and use double-sided tape on brackets or rig things up so it looks like the bracket is actually mounted into the bumper, then remove it later after getting the fix it ticket signed off.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Either use double sided tape and put it on there to have them sign off and then remove it or get the tow hook mount. They will sign off on either one.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
Either use double sided tape and put it on there to have them sign off and then remove it or get the tow hook mount. They will sign off on either one.
Thanks, just didn't know if they'd sign off on the tow hook one. Will probably just go that route and then take it off or concoct a zip tie to cheap bracket in the lower mesh, then remove that immediately afterwards.

Appreciate the info. Darn LAPD.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
KellyK
Lady Driven
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 128i

ziptie to mesh is quick and easy way to get out of it!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
This question is mostly for people in L.A. who got fix it tickets for having no front plate as I had the pleasure of getting one today. I was just curious if people have presented the tow-hook mounted plates and if the sheriff has signed off on and approved that, or any other possible solutions short of drilling holes in my beloved bumper to install the BMW bracket.

I know sometimes people get really creative and use double-sided tape on brackets or rig things up so it looks like the bracket is actually mounted into the bumper, then remove it later after getting the fix it ticket signed off.
Did the police pull you over just for that?

If so, they must've been pretty desperate to write a ticket.
      12-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyK View Post
ziptie to mesh is quick and easy way to get out of it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
Did the police pull you over just for that?

If so, they must've been pretty desperate to write a ticket.
Thanks guys (and gal). Not sure if I'll go toe hook or ziptie to mesh approach, but have til February 18th to figure it out. I'm a real klutz so have to figure out which is more likely to happen - me damaging the car going toe hook approach and dropping the bracket and scratching the paint or cutting off the zip ties, missing and cutting the mesh.

And ya, pulled me over straight up for no plate or tint, not sure which or perhaps the combo. I was hardly even moving as I was about to make a right turn onto my own street. He listed me as going 10-15 mph...hehe.

I like that 3 people were shot in West LA about half a mile down my street last night and this is what they're worried about. Obviously, if I got a moving violation of some sort I'd be much more upset. This is just a bit of an annoyance, and somewhat comical. Only way it would have been worse is if a meter maid did it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I like that 3 people were shot in West LA about half a mile down my street last night and this is what they're worried about.
I hear ya: I got a ticket once at the Glendale Galleria for backing into a parking space rather than going head in... I attached a really caustic note along with my payment, criticizing their law enforcement priorities...
      12-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
dbchun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I use to never run front plates until moving to LA. Within a month I had 3 no front plate tickets from the stupid meter maid. I even tried just placing the license plate in the front drivers window (only when parked, very dangerous to drive like this) but STILL got a ticket.

Ended up getting a tow plate and no issues so far, been about 1 year in LA now with street parking on a regular basis.

*edit* sorry didn't fully read the original post, never showed the tow plate to fight a ticket but have avoided getting any new ones ever since installing one
      12-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbchun View Post
I use to never run front plates until moving to LA. Within a month I had 3 no front plate tickets from the stupid meter maid. I even tried just placing the license plate in the front drivers window (only when parked, very dangerous to drive like this) but STILL got a ticket.

Ended up getting a tow plate and no issues so far, been about 1 year in LA now with street parking on a regular basis.
I've played the roulette and haven't gotten a no front plate ticket since 2001 by a UCLA rent-a-cop. Had a good run!

Interesting to know a meter maid will still ticket you even with it in the window, which I considered doing if parked, but forgot to ask the officer if that would be acceptable. Guess the answer is no.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
My135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

I was told that the penalty for no front plate was $600 and this was in the news not too long ago? Is this true?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #11
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135i View Post
I was told that the penalty for no front plate was $600 and this was in the news not too long ago? Is this true?
Don't think so. Usually it's just a $20-25 inspection fee I believe at a local sheriff's office, they sign you off and you send it in and that's it. Haven't had to do it in awhile, but that's my general understanding.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I never did understand that law, and the tinted window law, its all about control, are we really free
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #13
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Don't think so. Usually it's just a $20-25 inspection fee I believe at a local sheriff's office, they sign you off and you send it in and that's it. Haven't had to do it in awhile, but that's my general understanding.
Yup.

The only time I got one (knock on wood) was from the CHP ages ago in my red E36: The cop had a Napoleon Complex and could only give me a fix-it ticket since I wasn't speeding and that pissed him off.
      12-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
bmw0bsession
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Tow hook Mount for me. Got pulled over in Glendale for it but it is Glendale and I did not have to pay for the ticket in the end.
BMW Performance Kidney Grille, CF Lip Spoiler, CF Diffusser, Blackline LCI Tailights, Magnaflow Full Exhaust, BMS Intake, Jb4 w/ E85, Meth Injection, BMS DP, VRSF 5" Intercooler, CP-E Charge Pipe, KW CS Coilover, M3 Subframe Bushings, VMR VB3 Wheels, Stage 2 Fuel Pump, M3 Control Arms, Dinan Camber Plates, Pure Stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #15
Dafttt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

Quote:
I was just curious if people have presented the tow-hook mounted plates and if the sheriff has signed off on and approved that
My friend 'has a friend who's brother is CHP,' and told me it doesn't matter if you have no plate or tow plate - needs to be in the center of the vehicle. Pure hearsay unfortunately.

I don't use a front plate. At least with no plate you have the benefit of looking like a new car from the front minus the registration on the inside of the window.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #16
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Auto View Post
My friend 'has a friend who's brother is CHP,' and told me it doesn't matter if you have no plate or tow plate - needs to be in the center of the vehicle. Pure hearsay unfortunately.

I don't use a front plate. At least with no plate you have the benefit of looking like a new car from the front minus the registration on the inside of the window.
It is the biggest bunch of BS ever. Just purely for revenue generation and also an excuse to pull you over and give you a hard time to see if they can arrest for anything.

I put this on my car and screwed the one mounting side under the bumper part where it opens to the intercooler then when I was not using the plate I would unbolt the hinged part that you mount the plate to and left it like that until I had to put it on for some reason.

Now with my ZO6 I have zero mounting for front plates and it came that way but then again my 135 came with no front plate or mounts from the dealer. Front plates are ugly and should be done away with.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #17
vickers
Registered
Rep
Drives: '08 AW 135i

I got a front plate ticket from a meter maid while street parked. I have a tow hook mount. The ticket was $25 but I just contested it online and sent in a picture of the car (with the tow hook plate) and they reduced it to $10.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #18
dbchun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

damn that sucks, i hate the meter maids here
      12-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #19
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickers View Post
I got a front plate ticket from a meter maid while street parked. I have a tow hook mount. The ticket was $25 but I just contested it online and sent in a picture of the car (with the tow hook plate) and they reduced it to $10.
I can't find anything in the CA VC that requires the plate to be in the CENTER of the vehicle, just the "front".
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 02:45 AM   #20
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
I can't find anything in the CA VC that requires the plate to be in the CENTER of the vehicle, just the "front".
there is nothing that requires it to be in the center.
      01-09-2014, 02:11 AM   #21
MDecals
The Vinyl Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw0bsession View Post
Tow hook Mount for me. Got pulled over in Glendale for it but it is Glendale and I did not have to pay for the ticket in the end.
Haha, cant expect much less out of GPD

Your Source For All Things Vinyl!

Official Decals: Bimmerpost | E90post| M3post | F30post

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #22
alec_jan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 135i

For those who purchased their cars new, what I've done is use no front plate and keep the temp sticker on the front right windshield (with plate on back). Have had no issues in a year, I suspect PD/meter maids don't read the fine print so closely on the temp reg
Appreciate 0