BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-05-2009, 12:06 AM   #1
gator70
Rep
Drives: 135 BLK, Coral, cab

Jet black and hard water spots

Can I wash with something and avoid hard water spots?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

There are water filtration units that can remove mineral deposits found in hose water that work great. Otherwise you just have to use good technique to help avoid water marks. I recommend trying to work in the shade as much as possible. If you have to wash in direct sun leave keep the vehicle under shade for as long as possible before washing (espeically if you have black paint). Additionally if you can wash in the early morning, evening hours hopefully it is not as hot out. I leave my vehicle in the garage get all products ready and then back it out. I start moving around very fast so the paint doesn't get to warm. I rinse the paint constantly during the washing process and bring the vehicle back in the shade right after finishing the washing process. If you do get water marks I recommend wiping them down the Water Spot Remover. I hope this advice will help reduce the water marks. Let me know if you need additional suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Treat your Jet Black with a sealer protectant like Zaino, and this will keep it free of damage from bird dung, tar, sap, water spots and help prevent swirls. Order the Ultimate protection kit for $120 off of their web site www.zainostore.com. The kit will last a couple of years so it is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
mchaskell
Traveler
Rep
Drives: 135i

The CR Spotless system is excellent I purchased mine from Costco online. Griots Garage now has their own spotless system, but it is a bit more expensive. If you use a prefilter on these systems you can extend the life of the resin.
      04-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
gator70
Rep
Drives: 135 BLK, Coral, cab

With the CR Spotless system they claim you can rinse and not dry the car. Does anyone know if this is true?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
mchaskell
Traveler
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator70 View Post
With the CR Spotless system they claim you can rinse and not dry the car. Does anyone know if this is true?
You can (I have done it) but if you leave any soap residue at all you will leave little spots of soap film. Not a big deal they wipe right off with a little Speed Shine.