BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
The Cthulhu
Banned
Rep
Drives: N/A

M Sport Vs. Sport

Last edited by The Cthulhu; 08-17-2009 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

I'm sorry to hear that!

I have the regular speaker system, and while it's pretty good, it's not the best. You can't really notice any bad qualities unless you really crank it. For the price though, I didn't feel like the upgraded audio system was worth it over the base. I really have no problem with the quality. I must say though, that the audio in my old Honda Element was better, but then again that car was "made" for younger, active people in a way, so they made it a point to have a good audio system.

As for M-Sport vs Sport, the body kit will be the same, you still get the oil coolers and everything else you got with the M-sport, etc. You still get the M logo on the steering wheel and shifter, but not on your rims like you do if you get the M sport rims. Other than that, I think it's the same. I do remember someone on here mentioning M door sills, but they were from Canada, so not sure if the option is different in the US.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
bmwsam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2012 135i  [0.00]
Going from M-sport to sport you'll also lose the anthricite head liner.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsam View Post
Going from M-sport to sport you'll also lose the anthricite head liner.
True, forgot about that!

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
The Cthulhu
Banned
Rep

Whew. Sounds like I'm ok. Thanks for the quick responses

I don't care about the rims, and like the stock spokes better. I think I saw door sill ///M logos for ~$70 if I don't get them (although I don't know if I care that much). As far as the headliner goes, I'm not sure if I'd like the anthracite one better, lol.

I hear that the normal hi-fi system doesn't use the optical q-logic amp or whatever it is, so I can upgrade the audio system down the road. I love playing with hi-fi setups, so I'm still happy.

Also, I'm putting a short shift kit on the car, should I go with the BMW one is there a better alternative?

Now that I think about it... I'm putting the performance wheel and short shift kit on the car, so I guess I won't keep any of my M logos, huh...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cthulhu View Post
Hi all,
How are these two packages different, aside from the wheels?
Do I still get oil cooler/s and the upgraded suspension? What badges do I lose and where?
The suspension is the same on all 135i's, even if you don' t get any sport package.

You do not get an extra oil cooler with Sport or M Sport package, at least not one different from what comes in a base 135i.

Basically, the Sport/M Sport packages for the 135i only add certain appearance trim ("M" badges on steering wheel, sport seats.)

There may be an additional water cooler available from BMW with its aftermarket performance package for the N54, if and when that becomes available in the USA.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cthulhu View Post

I hear that the normal hi-fi system doesn't use the optical q-logic amp or whatever it is, so I can upgrade the audio system down the road. I love playing with hi-fi setups, so I'm still happy.

Also, I'm putting a short shift kit on the car, should I go with the BMW one is there a better alternative?

Now that I think about it... I'm putting the performance wheel and short shift kit on the car, so I guess I won't keep any of my M logos, huh...

If you were gonna tinker with the audio anyway, I'd put in some better speakers. You'll be fine without the upgraded system.

Also, if you upgrade to a SSK, you can always keep the original knob if you like the M logo. I think a few people on here mentioned that they like the original knob better than the BMW SSK knob and upgraded while still keeping the original knob.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
EngPhys09
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 128i SRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
If you were gonna tinker with the audio anyway, I'd put in some better speakers. You'll be fine without the upgraded system.

Also, if you upgrade to a SSK, you can always keep the original knob if you like the M logo. I think a few people on here mentioned that they like the original knob better than the BMW SSK knob and upgraded while still keeping the original knob.

Don't get the BMW SSK its garbage, get a UUC Motorwerks EVO III SSK kit.
Far better. I just put one in my 128i and they are amazing! All stainless vs. BMW's plastic shift components.
The Evo III also wont void your warrenty. Worth the money also.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
The Cthulhu
Banned
Rep

I think I will keep my original shift knob when I do the SSK, I'll be buying the part from BMW and installing it myself, anyway. Thanks for the info!

Oh, I apparently have comfort access, too. Not something I'd ordered, but the door touching stuff is pretty cool, I guess.

The Black/Red combo is going to look sexy ^_^. I seem to recall that the Germans came to the same conclusion, historically...

Now WTF do I do until Wednesday!? I got a 328i as a loaner car and it's a BEAST! It's auto, but I actually like the tiptronic, except when it lags like hell on a double downshift or doesn't let me fly-wheel takedown in 1st gear when coming to a traffic light. I was thinking "maybe I shoulda gotten paddles" until I noticed things tiptronic does that drive me insane.

Also, 16.3 mpg average fuel economy on the 328i, it only has 800 miles on it right now and I haven't been taking it over 4,000 RPM, just driving tiptronic all the time. Is this typical?
Appreciate 0