BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-15-2016, 08:02 PM   #1
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Tuning in Brisbane

I'm considering getting a serious upgrade done to my E88 N54 135i - intake, exhaust, LSD and tune.

I've got a few quick questions for the community:

Does anyone have any experience with MR Tuning in Brisbane, or a recommendation for someone who's not too expensive and good at not blowing up cars?

Am I best off taking the car to a Brisbane tuner and buying all the components from them and getting them to just do it, or shop around for each individual component and get a local mechanic to do everything except the tune, then take it to a dyno tune shop in brissy to do the tune?

And one real NOOBs question:
What's the story with JB2/4 chips/maps - is this a bolt-on thing with pre-made maps that any mechanic can install, then you load up a map which matches your hardware and hope for the best, or do you still have an expert tweak stuff with a Dyno?

Thanks!

Last edited by xQx; 08-15-2016 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: s/evolve-technik/MR Tuning
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 09:12 PM   #2
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
I'm considering getting a serious upgrade done to my E88 N54 135i - intake, exhaust, LSD and tune.

I've got a few quick questions for the community:

Does anyone have any experience with MR Tuning in Brisbane, or a recommendation for someone who's not too expensive and good at not blowing up cars?

Am I best off taking the car to a Brisbane tuner and buying all the components from them and getting them to just do it, or shop around for each individual component and get a local mechanic to do everything except the tune, then take it to a dyno tune shop in brissy to do the tune?

And one real NOOBs question:
What's the story with JB2/4 chips/maps - is this a bolt-on thing with pre-made maps that any mechanic can install, then you load up a map which matches your hardware and hope for the best, or do you still have an expert tweak stuff with a Dyno?

Thanks!
You've be better off just going with MHD and running an off the shelf tune. The tunes are solid and have gone through many iterations already, with free updates on new tunes when they improve it.

MHD is a flash tune that you upload with an Android phone/tablet. Total cost is around $200aud. You can also do custom tunes but the off the shelf tunes are very good. I certainly wouldn't bother with a custom tune unless you had downpipes and intercooler at a minimum.

JB4 is literally a piggyback box that sits in between the ECU and the car. Just fools the stock ECU into running more boost. A flash solution is going to be lot better than just running a piggyback.
      08-16-2016, 03:19 AM   #3
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AT Monaco Blue

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
I second the MHD tune option. It's the cheapest option and well regarded. I would personally still get someone to confirm the logs are safe for your car/combination of mods though. That's the only downside I find to these non dyno based tunes. To acquire the necessary datalog you need to go wide open throttle to redline in 4th gear somewhere. No way I'm doing that anywhere short of a racetrack as licence = gone!

I'm custom Cobb tuned (via BPS at Cleveland) and very happy with my tune. If I were going from scratch in 2016 though I'd consider MHD.
      08-16-2016, 03:44 AM   #4
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJustin View Post
. To acquire the necessary datalog you need to go wide open throttle to redline in 4th gear somewhere. No way I'm doing that anywhere short of a racetrack as licence = gone!

I'm custom Cobb tuned (via BPS at Cleveland) and very happy with my tune. If I were going from scratch in 2016 though I'd consider MHD.
Thats easy - come to the track.

One at lakeside on the 24th of this mth
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 12:47 AM   #5
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koastal View Post
Thats easy - come to the track.

One at lakeside on the 24th of this mth
Thanks for the invite! You won't see me this time, but once I've got a few mods done I'll come for a spin.
Appreciate 0