BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Lightbulb 1MGator's 1M European Delivery adventure Part 2 - green hell!

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Continued from PART 1...

We left Switzerland and spent about 5 hours zipping up the autobahn to Koln to see a friend that wanted to go to the ring with us.

We did a little "window shopping" as we arrived downtown.

Name:  window shopping.jpg
Views: 7660
Size:  89.9 KB

The weather had been absolutely perfect up until then .... first rain and a harbinger of things to come the next day.

Name:  first rain.jpg
Views: 7563
Size:  96.2 KB

The next morning we headed to the "Green Hell" with much anticipation not knowing what to expect since it was also the weekend of the "oldtimers GP"

Are we in the right place .... anyone take a guess on what this is?

Name:  fmc.jpg
Views: 7600
Size:  116.0 KB

Name:  stablemate.jpg
Views: 7954
Size:  107.4 KB

Yup /// found the hotel and a great stablemate ... and an interesting facility down the street

Name:  found hotel.jpg
Views: 7514
Size:  118.7 KB

Name:  bmw test facility.jpg
Views: 7387
Size:  99.5 KB

Now on to the track with the sounds of engines screaming in the air .... intoxicating! Right on time for our Taxi .....

Name:  taxi 2.jpg
Views: 7366
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  what a taxi ride.jpg
Views: 7374
Size:  96.9 KB

Seriously, it was a royal pain getting up at 4AM out time to try and get tickets (took me three weeks) but the trip around the ring at speed and to do it on a rainy day before we took our car out was Priceless. I envy the members on this forum that live so close .... I would be so broke!

OK, retracing a little, these we a couple of photos I forgot from previous days. Imagine yourself coming around a bend at speed and running into this ...

Name:  ski man.jpg
Views: 7303
Size:  166.7 KB

There were several of them in a pack ... and I thought the guys on bikes were in danger ....

Name:  alpine lake.jpg
Views: 7332
Size:  133.6 KB

This area was too beautiful not to share ....

OK .... so after the taxi lap we decided to wait out the rain and let a dry line develop for us rookies. To our delight we ran into some more forum members .....

Name:  2 vo's.jpg
Views: 7371
Size:  143.1 KB

we were not alone .... one with the steering wheel on the other side

Name:  3rd vo.jpg
Views: 7142
Size:  81.9 KB

There was also some other good company.....

Name:  good company.jpg
Views: 7226
Size:  103.7 KB

Name:  good company 2.jpg
Views: 7307
Size:  84.5 KB

We watched for a while as people pulled up and through the gate to go out ... one of these is a forum member that was at the track day the next day ...

Name:  gate 1.jpg
Views: 7218
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  gate 2.jpg
Views: 7249
Size:  102.0 KB

Finally, it was time to buckle up and get out with a little break in the weather, boy was I excited. The experience was incredible and I managed the line between crazy and safe pretty well. Mid lap, after realizing that i did not like leading a group into blind corners over hills that I did not know I found an e46 M3 that seemed to know the track and stuck to his bumper .... now that was fun. 1M was super fun/fast and gave me more confidence that i should have had in those conditions. Probably exceeded some of the break in recommendations but had 1250 miles on the car at that point We pulled into staging area with the sweet smell of hot brakes and tires and switched drivers (my son). Thanks to "frozenspeed.com" (thanks Jochen) for these great shots out on the track.

Name:  frozen speed 1.jpg
Views: 7336
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  frozen speed 2.jpg
Views: 7226
Size:  129.0 KB

Name:  frozen speed 3.jpg
Views: 10215
Size:  95.4 KB

All I can say to all of you is this needs to be on your "bucket list"!

OK .... so in the beginning I told everyone that my first BMW was a 1988 e30ic .... so here is a little love to the E30M3 that I always wanted ...

Name:  e30 1.jpg
Views: 7274
Size:  133.7 KB

Name:  e30 2.jpg
Views: 7214
Size:  147.9 KB

Name:  e30 4.jpg
Views: 7152
Size:  89.4 KB

We left the track to get to a viewing area and watch some cars pass .... here are a few track shots.

Name:  ring fun 1.jpg
Views: 7217
Size:  96.7 KB

Another couple VO's on track .....

Name:  3rd vo on track.jpg
Views: 7097
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  3rd vo on track 2.jpg
Views: 7085
Size:  96.2 KB

Name:  4th vo on track.jpg
Views: 7095
Size:  84.1 KB

What a day ..... we went to the hotel and everyone had a great time, food, beer, storytelling and getting to see everyone's pictures because Jochen was stationed in the pub. Car performed flawlessly ....... took one last picture .... bedtime (yes, camera shake was beer influenced)

Name:  bed time.jpg
Views: 7094
Size:  56.2 KB

OK everyone .... I hope this isn't to anti-climatic but the only device we had to shoot video was the I-Phone and the back seat passenger got whipped around a little. I think you can get a sense of the speed and blind turns - exciting ..... it was still wet as you will see there were two mis-haps.

So if you have made it this far thanks for looking. The next two shots are at the drop off in Frankfurt ..... This was truly a fantastic adventure for us - I sincerely hope you can all experience the "JOY" of driving our BMW machines the way they were designed, now the wait, hope she has smooth sailing ......... Auf Wiedersehen!

Name:  drop off.jpg
Views: 6807
Size:  255.9 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by 1mGator; 08-23-2011 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: added video
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
spoon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 1///m

1Mgator,That first picture of your VO at speed on the track has screen saver written all over it. Great pix, Looking foreward to the next installment. Thanks for taking us along.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 03:42 AM   #3
Z4Mr
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M ETA JAN 2012

Never mind the 1M.... who is that gorgeous girl?? What a truly beautiful smile!!

Mike (-;
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 05:05 AM   #4
steve79
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: VO BMW 1M; Fiat Abarth 500

Wow, nice! Next time, i will also hit the ring with my 1M for the first time!!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 05:23 AM   #5
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon View Post
1Mgator,That first picture of your VO at speed on the track has screen saver written all over it. Great pix, Looking foreward to the next installment. Thanks for taking us along.
Thanks, really also like the long views in that area as well as the close up. I am going to do a search of other photographers that were there that day to see if we were "captured" in the carousel as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Mr View Post
Never mind the 1M.... who is that gorgeous girl?? What a truly beautiful smile!!

Yes, she is a sweetheart and makes the rest of us look shabby She is the one who was able to shoot some video (post tonight) while getting tossed around in the back seat.

Mike (-;
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve79 View Post
Wow, nice! Next time, i will also hit the ring with my 1M for the first time!!
Hi Steve ..... great seeing you there (two VO's), sorry I did not get pics of you out on track. So jealous that you are so close and can do the ring whenever you want ..... you need to post some video next time you go .. Regards!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
KillrM3
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

Amazing track right? You really don't understand the elevation changes until you drive it. Also how narrow the track is. We ate at that same hotel as well. The lunch buffet and dinner there was great. That is actually Sabine Schmitz's parents hotel. Pics look great btw.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Messerschmidt.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillrM3 View Post
Amazing track right? You really don't understand the elevation changes until you drive it. Also how narrow the track is. We ate at that same hotel as well. The lunch buffet and dinner there was great. That is actually Sabine Schmitz's parents hotel. Pics look great btw.
Absolutely a rush, especially while wet with blind off camber turns at the crests ...... yea baby! Fun, Fun and oh Cra*(^ fun! Yea, hotel was great .. all the oldtimer GP folks were eating there as well .. neat place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Messerschmidt.

Neil
Neil, you make out OK with the Quake .... felt it here in PA today. At some point need to do a NOVA meet with all 1M's
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

Great pics! Looks like you had as much fun as I did! The 'Ring really is a "bucket list" event, and I was buzzing for days afterwards. I watch the video from my car and all I can think of is when I'll have another chance to do it.

When I was there I ran into another VO 1M from the UK, who owned the car for about a month. The 1M attracted far more attention in the staging area than I would have expected, given some of the other cars on the track that day. I ran into two other guys who had orders in for cars, and I suspect once the production is finished they'll be a common sight at the 'Ring.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Awesome! This is my favorite pic!

08-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
I watch the video from my car and all I can think of is when I'll have another chance to do it.
I thought you arent allowed to video on the ring... will they let me on with a gopro?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #12
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
Great pics! Looks like you had as much fun as I did! The 'Ring really is a "bucket list" event, and I was buzzing for days afterwards. I watch the video from my car and all I can think of is when I'll have another chance to do it.

When I was there I ran into another VO 1M from the UK, who owned the car for about a month. The 1M attracted far more attention in the staging area than I would have expected, given some of the other cars on the track that day. I ran into two other guys who had orders in for cars, and I suspect once the production is finished they'll be a common sight at the 'Ring.
Thanks ... definately speechless and weak-kneed ... great rush to be on the edge in the wet (translate i am crazy) Yea.. there were some right hand drive cars there on our day too and it was definately crazy to have people walking by GT3's and Nissan Gtr to oogle the 1M .... good fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
Awesome! This is my favorite pic!

Thanks ..... they did a good job with the shot ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
I thought you arent allowed to video on the ring... will they let me on with a gopro?
Yea, I thought the same thing and that's why we used the I-phone .... while I was standing at the entrance gate I did see the track marshals ask people to remove go-pros!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #13
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mGator View Post
Neil, you make out OK with the Quake .... felt it here in PA today. At some point need to do a NOVA meet with all 1M's
Felt it strongly, but everything fine.

FWIW, I'll be at Summit Point on Sept 14th and Sept. 24 - 25. Perhaps you can drive down.

Neil

P.S. Are you going to confirm I was correct about the Messerschmidt
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #14
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

very well done
      08-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #15
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mGator View Post
Absolutely a rush, especially while wet with blind off camber turns at the crests ...... yea baby! Fun, Fun and oh Cra*(^ fun! Yea, hotel was great .. all the oldtimer GP folks were eating there as well .. neat place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillrM3 View Post

1mGator, I hope you got the steaks, etc. that come on the hot stones at Pistenklausen. It's something that I haven't seen anywhere else. Great pics, btw.

P.S. I got to ride around with some guy who had a E46 M3 CSL!! That was pretty cool. You really can't appreciate the track until you drive it. No video game/ video serves it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
You aren't supposed to but if you have a passenger just have them install it right after you start. You should be ok I'd imagine.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #16
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
E30 M3s love
nice photos.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 12:51 AM   #17
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Your car looks great, such amazing pictures! I'm so envious of basically everything you did!
      08-24-2011, 01:51 AM   #18
steve79
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: VO BMW 1M; Fiat Abarth 500

Haha, yes it's really cool, to live not far from the ring and also not far from Spa-Francorchamps!!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 03:50 AM   #19
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Nice read and great pics mate....

There is just something about the ring you can only imagine until you take to the circuit, one hell of an adrenaline rush..........

To me its the Rollercoaster ride from hell or during German public holidays, The Kamikaze Run! lol

Happy motoring........
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 05:28 AM   #20
Z4Mr
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M ETA JAN 2012

"So jealous that you are so close and can do the ring whenever you want ....."

"great rush to be on the edge in the wet"

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 05:31 AM   #21
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Felt it strongly, but everything fine.

FWIW, I'll be at Summit Point on Sept 14th and Sept. 24 - 25. Perhaps you can drive down.

Neil

P.S. Are you going to confirm I was correct about the Messerschmidt
Hey Neil, Glad everyone OK ... Thanks for the invite .. not sure when the car will be here (PA) - projected in NJ on 9/11 so perhaps the 24th/25th would work.

On the car .... allI know is it said "FMR" on the front .... is that a Messerschnidt?

Name:  fmr.jpg
Views: 4809
Size:  106.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 05:43 AM   #22
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
1mGator, I hope you got the steaks, etc. that come on the hot stones at Pistenklausen. It's something that I haven't seen anywhere else. Great pics, btw.

P.S. I got to ride around with some guy who had a E46 M3 CSL!! That was pretty cool. You really can't appreciate the track until you drive it. No video game/ video serves it well.

Those steaks were all around us and looked great. Lucky you to ride in a CSL .... CSL's and GtS were well represented that day and such a sweet exhaust note! Totally agree on the video game ..... elevation changes and narrowness of the track in certain places can't be properly represented - needs to be on every "addicts" list

You aren't supposed to but if you have a passenger just have them install it right after you start. You should be ok I'd imagine.
Yea, that makes sense ..... guess we were just too excited to be rational ... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
E30 M3s love
nice photos.
Thanks ..... my original BMW love ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schm View Post
Your car looks great, such amazing pictures! I'm so envious of basically everything you did!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve79 View Post
Haha, yes it's really cool, to live not far from the ring and also not far from Spa-Francorchamps!!
Steve .... quit your bragging and post some pics/video Bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
Nice read and great pics mate....

There is just something about the ring you can only imagine until you take to the circuit, one hell of an adrenaline rush..........

To me its the Rollercoaster ride from hell or during German public holidays, The Kamikaze Run! lol

Agreed on the rush, I would really cherish a "track day" there ..... part of the challenge was the fact that you could run up on slow traffic (van, bus, etc) in a corner/tough area.

Happy motoring........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Mr View Post
"So jealous that you are so close and can do the ring whenever you want ....."

"great rush to be on the edge in the wet"

That is Steve 79 that live near the ring - the second VO in the staging area pic - he's the fortunate one!!!
Appreciate 0