BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
3VOM
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i vert

Possible alternative fix to headlight back cover?

So I was talking to a buddy that works at a pretty top notch auto body/restoration place. I was telling him about my concerns trying to change out my halos...told him how I've had the replacement bulbs for over a week and am nervous to change the bulbs due to the passenger side cover being so hard to put back on. I explained to him the two tabs on the bottom that need to slot back in for the covers to fit and seal...yada yada. He then tossed out an idea...why not just cut the tabs off? He says as long as the cover is placed on and lined up, the "B*tch" clips should hold the cover in place and seal up just fine! This sounds actually very reasonable as the cover does seem to sit tight and snug and the clips hold tight. So what do you guys think? Possibly a good solution? Can rear covers be ordered if need be separately or does the entire headlight unit need to be ordered for back cover? Thanks

J
      08-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Riley1524
Captain
Rep
Drives: A Slow Ass BMW

[QUOTE=3VOM;12439598]So I was talking to a buddy that works at a pretty top notch auto body/restoration place. I was telling him about my concerns trying to change out my halos...told him how I've had the replacement bulbs for over a week and am nervous to change the bulbs due to the passenger side cover being so hard to put back on. I explained to him the two tabs on the bottom that need to slot back in for the covers to fit and seal...yada yada. He then tossed out an idea...why not just cut the tabs off? He says as long as the cover is placed on and lined up, the "B*tch" clips should hold the cover in place and seal up just fine! This sounds actually very reasonable as the cover does seem to sit tight and snug and the clips hold tight. So what do you guys think? Possibly a good solution? Can rear covers be ordered if need be separately or does the entire headlight unit need to be ordered for back cover? Thanks

That may be a possible solution though I would still be hesitant in altering the caps. You can order replacement caps as well so why not try it.
      08-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
EuroTunerz5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW BMW 135i M-Sport PPK

I am going to disagree with him after having removed these myself... Those clips apply the pressure needed to keep the bottom of the cover tight. They really aren't THAT bad to reinstall I have done it several times without issue you just have to be patient and focus on the bottom tabs going in before the rest of the cover. Best of luck!!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Agreed, you don't get the sealing without those.

I've farted around with mine a bunch, they're a bitch as we all know, but thankfully it's not something you have to get into very often.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
135i OREO
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I wouldnt mess with it. You run a risk of it not sealing all the way and moisture getting in there which will cause your adaptive headlights to fail which will, in turn, cause you to have to buy entirely new headlights. The risk doesnt outweigh the benefit at all. We all know its a pain in the ass but I wouldnt alter them.
      08-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
3VOM
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i vert

Well, the good news is I didn't have to even think about going that route. I was able to do the install without having to fully unseat the tabs...to be honest I'm not sure how I did it! Haha. It was all a blur...I just kind of attacked it with sweat dripping down my face...after the dust settled they were installed and turned on with no issues, no adaptive headlight warnings, nothing. Took me 20 minutes. I installed the BMS 4 LED lights and love em! My one complaint with the design of the unit is that the way the body of the bulb is designed...there are grooves that go around the body that makes twisting them on difficult, at least when the space is tight and you can't get a whole lot of pressure to get a good grip. It would have been better if the grooves went vertical so that it made getting a grip on them easier thus making them easier to twist on. I ended up using a wrench to tighten. No big deal, just a thought. I'm SO SO SOOOOO glad they are installed and it's over! Haha
      08-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
EuroTunerz5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW BMW 135i M-Sport PPK

Love my BMS AA and I did it the risky way and removed the covers lol
Appreciate 0