BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #23
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

^ Well, you'll have to take that up with my insurance company, because they were quite willing to pay out for a new tire/wheel when I ran over an immobile concrete barrier in a parking lot. :iono:

I have to agree that I'd rather take my chances with the wheels and just pay out for new non-runflats which can be had via Tire Rack for (I believe) around $650.00. Of course, I don't roll with aftermarket rims, so for those who do, this may be a boon...but I remain skeptical.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 09:58 PM   #24
Night1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135 View Post
Wow, that is curious. When I had a tire replaced, I had to pay up front and wait for a reimbursement from the company. I might have to ask about that.
When I originally bought the warranty, they said I would have to pay first and be reimbursed later. So when I went to the cashier, I got my wallet out and she says, "oh, you don't have to pay anything, just sign this so we can get reimbursed." :w00t:

How long did it take for them to reimburse you?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #25
fshowcars
Getting Pulled Over
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
^ Well, you'll have to take that up with my insurance company, because they were quite willing to pay out for a new tire/wheel when I ran over an immobile concrete barrier in a parking lot. :iono:

I have to agree that I'd rather take my chances with the wheels and just pay out for new non-runflats which can be had via Tire Rack for (I believe) around $650.00. Of course, I don't roll with aftermarket rims, so for those who do, this may be a boon...but I remain skeptical.

although I felt similar, i went with the one time payment of $700 or something around that for the tire replacement package.

I had my 1 series about a month and was quickly approaching 2000 miles... I was on a road trip to the drag strip in Jersey when I went over a bridge doing about 60mph, hit the separation in the bridge, blew two tires and bent two rims. I was able to get the car to a local dealer to replace one tire and bent rim to get me 600 miles home, just to have the car in the dealer for a week getting new wheels and tires.... total bill was over $2k... I paid nothing!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #26
Russo
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Dodge Dakota Big Horn

Peake or Brian Harris?

BLUEFAKES.COM ARE SCAMMERS, LIERS, AND CHEATERS! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #27
bluecarbon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i

wow tough break man I just bent a rim and blew out a rft about a week ago and quickly regret my decision to not get the wheel & tire warranty, thought after I got out of New Orleans myself that the roads wouldn't be as bad. Good luck with everything, make sure your dealership doesn't do a rush jub on you mine didn't even check the alignment of my mine and it was off from the pot hole.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #28
Da Boy
Rep
Drives:

The wheel and tire warranties offered will differ from dealer to dealer. Check to see what damage is covered before you buy. I bought a MINI a couple years back and did get the wheel and tire warranty since i bought the expensiver wheels... Short story long, i tried to use the warranty to repair a bent rim and they would not cover it because the wheel still held air.

the other dealer ship i was going to gave me the wheel repair at cost. thier warranty was diff and better than the one i bought bt oh-well.

I agree with the get off the RF tires point. These are good for almost nothing. Traction is par at best and its like riding on 2x4s I usually keep a spare wheel at home that i can throw in the back seat if i go on a road trip. (not yet for this car) but i'll figure something out in the not too far off future.

Plus these tires cost a darn fortune... cost more than a set Hoosiers.

"Simone" 2009 BMW 135i, Sport package, roofracks!

Formerly: A much loved and appreciated 05 MCSC - PS/Blue canvas - sold "Da Boy"
and... a POS 2008 STI that blew an engine at 3,000 miles
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #29
essexcounty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I didn't opt for the BMW-offered warranty because this is my 1st car w/RFTs. Yesterday I went over a pothole going 50 and immediately knew I'd be getting a TPMS message.

Turns out I needed a new right-front tire and could've used a right-rear rim as it's slightly bent. I got the tire and had it aligned for almost 600 bucks today. RFTs blow.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #30
wrongprotocol
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT, white

This past Sat. night, while driving on the highway with my SWEET OEM RunFlats, I saw and quickly dodged a pothole, only to slam right into another!!! ouch..

Apparently it's "pothole season" in florida, where the excessive rain washes away the sand under the asphalt, creating rather large sinkholes (sometimes 20 ft sections of the road cave in!!). This one wasn't big enough to swallow the car, no...just the wheel.

The hit blew out the driver-side front tire, and put a gash in the rear tire's sidewall which formed a fat bubble that leaked air. It looked gross, like a huge pimple tearing through the skin. Nice.

Luckily (maybe?) I was travelling fast enough [60mph?] that the entire wheel didn't have time to fall into the hole, otherwise I would have body damage too!

I was 60 miles away on an unlit road that runs through cow pastures in central florida.
I believe I said outloud "okay runflats, do your job!"

60 miles to go, travelling between 40-45 mph. At one point I started smelling burning tire. I stopped to make sure the tire wasn't peeling away from the rim. It was still on there, but WOW was it boiling hot. Nevertheless I kept travelling at the same speed because BMW-assist people said I should be able to make it....but if anything happens they will be glad to assist me! haha.

I did make it all the way home.

Anyway, during that experience I started to like my run-flats. I was impressed they got me home.

But I betrayed them anyway and bought a set of Yokohama s.drives for the whole car. I've read a lot of good things about them on 1addicts and on bimmerfest, as far as being a good tire for the price. I've also read a lot of bad things about mixing tires so I went the safer route and bought all new instead of trying to salvage the undamaged runflats.

I had the wheels checked out. No cracks, no dents, they seem okay. Lucky. Hopefully that is a sign that my alignment is still alright :-\

Anyway, just thought I would share my experience.

Oh yeah, this post is related to s.drives. Go Yoko. I hope they work out for me.

Last edited by wrongprotocol; 05-26-2009 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: made the story better.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #31
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongprotocol View Post

But I betrayed them anyway...
good call
      05-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #32
bmwzone
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black 5.0 (ordered), 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by essexcounty View Post
I didn't opt for the BMW-offered warranty because this is my 1st car w/RFTs. Yesterday I went over a pothole going 50 and immediately knew I'd be getting a TPMS message.

Turns out I needed a new right-front tire and could've used a right-rear rim as it's slightly bent. I got the tire and had it aligned for almost 600 bucks today. RFTs blow.
600 bucks? OMG - upgrade! Heck I'd practically pay someone to take my old RFTs. Talk about utter junk.
Appreciate 0