BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #23
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

I have the exact setup you guys are currently discussing - stock suspension, sticky tires (R888 r-comps), camber plates (-2.5* up front), M3 sway bars (front and rear) and currently no LSD. I do plan on a LSD but I am still weighing my options as I want to see if the 1M diff is PnP. I also have the M3 tension rods and links (front and rear) and also the M3 subframe bushings.

So for now I will be autocrossing and doing a few HPDE on this setup. This is all sort of a new setup as the camber plates were added a few months back and the sway bars and subframe bushings just went on. So I have not had a chance to see how it all works together. There is an autox on Sunday but rain is forcast so I will run on my summer tires and, of course, I will not be able to see how the car really handles at the limit. I will report back once I get the car out on a nice dry surface where I can really see what it is doing at the limit.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #24
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

This might give you a better understanding. Even though it is a double wishbone setup the principle is the same. Imagine if you moved that shock mount up 2". There are no tires or fenders in the way and just try and picture what happens to the actual wheel travel when you move that upper shock mounting tab up 2".

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #25
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Where do the Dinan camber plates fir into all of this? I realize they are fixed, and don't provide a ton of negative camber, but in terms of "stack height" they should be close to OEM, right?
Dinan plates reuse all the stock parts except the studs, and they are about 1/8" thick, so they will raise the car about 1/8"
      12-18-2010, 01:31 AM   #26
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Dinan camber plate users: Can someone show me a pic of the top of their shock tower after install? I want to see how much room is left for additional camber if I were to modify a set for someone else.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 05:34 AM   #27
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkTechnology View Post
Dinan camber plate users: Can someone show me a pic of the top of their shock tower after install? I want to see how much room is left for additional camber if I were to modify a set for someone else.
Is this helpful?: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...bilstein+dinan

(Pic shows strut assembly with camber plates fitted, but not installed in vehicle).
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #28
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkTechnology View Post
This might give you a better understanding. Even though it is a double wishbone setup the principle is the same. Imagine if you moved that shock mount up 2". There are no tires or fenders in the way and just try and picture what happens to the actual wheel travel when you move that upper shock mounting tab up 2".

Got it.

The picture helps a lot.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #29
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep

Check this picture out. This really puts it into perspective.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #30
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoFast1589 View Post
Another thing, I haven't looked at the front suspension in person but I know it's a strut design so couldn't you just throw in camber bolts to get some additional camber? - Nevermind, I don't know if the strut attaches that way.
Unfortunately it does not. Instead of the "finger" that sticks out of the hub assembly with two holes to bolt the strut to (like you are probably thinking), it is a round clamp which accepts the bottom of the strut. No adjustability in it.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #31
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Is this helpful?: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...bilstein+dinan

(Pic shows strut assembly with camber plates fitted, but not installed in vehicle).
That helps, thanks! If you happen to find an installed shot from the engine bay on a 1series or 3series please post. Just some sheer curiosity on my part.

Thanks Bob!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #32
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
I have the exact setup you guys are currently discussing - stock suspension, sticky tires (R888 r-comps), camber plates (-2.5* up front), M3 sway bars (front and rear) and currently no LSD. I do plan on a LSD but I am still weighing my options as I want to see if the 1M diff is PnP. I also have the M3 tension rods and links (front and rear) and also the M3 subframe bushings.

So for now I will be autocrossing and doing a few HPDE on this setup. This is all sort of a new setup as the camber plates were added a few months back and the sway bars and subframe bushings just went on. So I have not had a chance to see how it all works together. There is an autox on Sunday but rain is forcast so I will run on my summer tires and, of course, I will not be able to see how the car really handles at the limit. I will report back once I get the car out on a nice dry surface where I can really see what it is doing at the limit.
Very curious to hear how your setup works out. Please keep us posted!
Appreciate 0