BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
wkndracr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i

I've done some suspension research, now I REALLY don't know what to do

I've done 5 HPDEs last year on stock suspension (with 245 Kumhos on all 4 corners), and this year I want to do a little suspension work. At first, i figured I would do M3 front wishbones and alignment pin removal to get a little more camber, and possibly rear subframe bushings. Now I think I also want a stiffer spring/strut/shock setup. Coilovers seem to be the way to go, but I dont think I want to drop that much $$ into the suspension (esp when factoring in camber plates) since I think I may eventually get something a little more "disposable" like a Miata for track use.

I am gravitating toward Eibach pro kit with Koni sports, but am worried about rub in the front with the 245's. I use a 17x8 wheel all around so I can rotate the tires. Does anyone think M3 control arms and alignment pin removal will be enough to clear the tire? I would be willing to do a camber plate as well, but from what I read, the Vorshlag plates will drop the front an additional half inch, and with a fixed height spring, the front will then be disproportionately lower than the rear.

I'm not looking for ultimate race car like handling, as most events I do aren't timed, with the exception of the occasional Time Trial, but I do want to improve over the soft OE suspension.

here's a vid of my current suspension clearance taken at Lime Rock with bone stock suspension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHklDiiSIPI

2016 M4 MG 6MT, sunroof. Some audio mods, Swift springs (so far).
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

Just get:

1. koni shocks to make things stiffer
2. Camber plates
3. m3 front control arms
4. front/rear m3 roll bar
5. LSD (best track mod)
or
1. Coils (v2/v3)
2. m3 control arms
3. subframe bushings
4. camber plates
5. m3 front roll bar

Or any combo of the above but sub frame bushings are EXPENSIVE to install and dont do a rear bar with out a lsd or it will be unsafe as it is so tight.

I just did:
1. JIC coils/camber plates
2. m3 front control arms
3. m3 front bar
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
Just get:

1. koni shocks to make things stiffer
2. Camber plates
3. m3 front control arms
4. front/rear m3 roll bar
5. LSD (best track mod)
or
1. Coils (v2/v3)
2. m3 control arms
3. subframe bushings
4. camber plates
5. m3 front roll bar
I agree with above. It depends on how much upkeep you want. If you're a tuner and have the time/resources, coil overs, front roll bar, vorschlag camber plates are the way to go. If you want to set it up as an awesome car without all the adjustability (and headaches), koni fsd's, front roll bar, dinan camber plates. Then there are the fun things: LSD, Tires, Wheels, bushings, etc.

There are lots of options. I took the easy way out and went to Dinan and got their S3 suspension which I love, but now I need more rubber and an LSD. It seems like everyone is happy with their suspension as long as it's upgraded, so there is no perfect way to go.

To help out, summary table below.

What you want/what to do:
$ Better turn in: camber plates, stiffer front sway bar
$$ Quicker suspension reaction: adjustable shocks or coil overs, stiffer springs
$$ Better grip: wider wheels (Arc-8's), dunlop star specs/r-comps
$$$$ Better acceleration (kill traction nanny): Quaife LSD, subframe bushings, rear sway bar

Each $ represents about how many thousands you're looking at.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I would think that no matter what else you do suspension-wise, you would want a set of matched springs and dampers. The BMW Performance kit actually seems fairly economical for what you get, especially for an OEM part ($1150 shipped for 4 springs, 2 struts, 2 shocks, and front ARB). I like the fact that they don't use a one-size-fits-all spring rate, and I've never heard anyone complain about this set-up. Others have really liked the Performance springs with Koni FSDs.

If you want extra camber in a more streetable set-up, you might consider the Dinan camber plates. They are non-adjustable but are supposed to be very OEM-like in fit and finish, and shouldn't reduce ride height in front.

Personally, I went with Bilstein PSS9s because they were on clearance, I already had an M3 ARB on my car, and Tischer said the Performance suspension kit was too large to ship to my location overseas.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
wkndracr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I guess what I'm mainly looking for is better grip up front. A part of me also wants to lower the car for aesthetics too, which is why I'm trying to make springs part of the equation. I think now I'm set on also getting the m3 front bar. Is the larger bar from the convertible the way to go? What about slotting the holes in the strut tower? Any harm in doing this? I'm not really looking to get crazy camber, I think I'll be happy with 1.5 deg (assuming that's enough to clear my tires) for street and track driving. Seems that if that's my goal, why pay $400-$500 for fully adjustable plates. So right now I'm thinking:

Eibach pro-kit
Koni sport
M3 front arb
M3 lower links
alignment pin removal (and slot strut towers?)
M3 rear subframe bushings

seems like that would give me a nice combination of looks and improved performance, at a reasonable price (I would do all the labor myself)

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
onefastman
Major General
Rep

That would be a good combo but I wouldnt start messing with the strut tower. If you have to replace it the engine must come out and that is 10K+ at a shop.....
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
wkndracr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

yeah, I'm always hesitant about cutting into the car, even if it is minor. After seeing pictures of cars with the eibachs, I think I'll add Dinan camber plates to my list. The extra 1/4" of height doesnt look like it will matter much.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
onefastman
Major General
Rep

Good choice

Be fore warned that the subframe bushings are a HUGE job
Appreciate 0