BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
3liter1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Bilstein PSS9 vs BMW Performance on a 128i

Does anyone have any experience that would help me compare the two options ? Seems the cost for both kits is about the same. My local installer (specializes in track/racing applications) recommends the Bilsteins for the adjustability. I only do an occasional track event. Looking for flatter cornering, better road feel, and less dive and squat for spirited street driving. Absolutely do not want to end up with a jarring ride on the street.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
I have the pss9. They are great and like your mechanic said you can adjust for softer or harder settings. However pss9 are not made anymore and are replaced with pss10. I picked up one of the last ones for a sweet price
      01-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

I would say that the PSS10 (Current Bilsteins) system is comparable to a KW Coilover V3, the BMW Performance suspension is comaprable to the KW V1 with after market sway bars.

Is warrenty a factor on your car? If not, I would go with the KW V1 setup. Adjustable shocks are neat, but you most likely won't fiddle with them in your garage, because you'd need an alignment afterwards, so it is easier to let the alignment folks adjust everything.

I have the KW V1s, and they are very nice. But if I were planning on having a track car, I might have got the V2s or 3s. That way as part of the track tech inspection, the suspension could be firmed up for the track and backed off to street settings when done. (That is alot of work though)

The easy choice is BMW Performance, and that is probably the best deal as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

I have the TCKline Double Adjustables. I am loving it. Sorry I don't have any input to your discussion. I just wanted to put it out there as 128 owner
      01-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
^ not familiar with kw but my pss9 are very easy to change settings. Less than 10 min for all corners
      01-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
3liter1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Thanks for the input. I need to price out all the options. I was also wondering if an alignment was needed after any adjustment. I remember it was with the KWs. Not sure if with the simple rebound? adjustment setting on the Bilstein's that it is the same
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
you only need alignment when they are swapped in. no alignment required when you change your settings. I know a previous post mentioned that but that is pure non sense
      01-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
you only need alignment when they are swapped in. no alignment required when you change your settings. I know a previous post mentioned that but that is pure non sense
FINALLY got my front struts and camber plates put in today. For what it cost, I should have done it months ago. Not worth the headache to DIY, unless you're really well equipped IMO. Of course, I did learn a lot in the process, so I'm glad for that at least.

Anyway, still getting used to the suspension - haven't pushed it too hard yet, but overall what impresses me is the way the car somehow rides firmer than stock, yet less harshly. Excess movement is just so well controlled.

Just out of curiousoty, what do you have your dampers set at for daily driving? I'm at 4 all around, but I'm not sure it's quite right...part of it is just getting used to the way the new suspension feels vs. stock, but I wonder if I should be running slightly different settings in front and back. Any input?

Also, I'm running a little lower in front than back. Still trying to get used to the forward rake look. I may just bring the rear down a tad. Problem is, the fronts are at max height and are still noticeably lower than the rears. The rears still technically have room to go further down, but really they're at the lower limit of Bilstein's "optimal" ride height. Slight conundrum...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #9
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Man it took forever glad to hear you got them working. I have the fronts 3 clicks from the stiffest and the rear at the middle setting. I like the rears to be softer this way the back is less likely to oversteer. Btw that is my track setting for dd I am softening everything by two clicks. The car is supposed to have a 14mm rake but reducing the rake should transfer some weight backwards and give you a better front/rear balance. Keep in mind when you stiffen them up you get better body control but lose traction in return. So basically you have to tweak until you get the best compromise. Cheers man
      01-08-2011, 02:25 AM   #10
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
Man it took forever glad to hear you got them working. I have the fronts 3 clicks from the stiffest and the rear at the middle setting. I like the rears to be softer this way the back is less likely to oversteer. Btw that is my track setting for dd I am softening everything by two clicks. The car is supposed to have a 14mm rake but reducing the rake should transfer some weight backwards and give you a better front/rear balance. Keep in mind when you stiffen them up you get better body control but lose traction in return. So basically you have to tweak until you get the best compromise. Cheers man
Yeah, that did take forever. Part of the problem was waiting for Dinan to ship some backordered parts, and then when they finally got here I went on leave for a month, but still - I could've had this done a month ago without the headaches.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I will definitely have to play around with the settings a bit - unfortunately I'll need to pull the trunk liner again since I haven'e yet cut hole in it to access the shock towers (getting the liner out is actually a cinch, but getting it back in just right is annoying).

One question - can you elaborate on this statement: The car is supposed to have a 14mm rake...

Is that per Bilstein?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 06:29 AM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiS4 View Post
Does anyone have any experience that would help me compare the two options ? Seems the cost for both kits is about the same. My local installer (specializes in track/racing applications) recommends the Bilsteins for the adjustability. I only do an occasional track event. Looking for flatter cornering, better road feel, and less dive and squat for spirited street driving. Absolutely do not want to end up with a jarring ride on the street.

Seems to me that the BMMW PS is the the more well rounded way to go. You get a total package "tuned" for your car. Not just upgraded shocks that you have to mess with all the time - depending on your driving needs.

The PS kit comes with shocks, springs AND sway bars and all the little hardware you need for the install(?). I really think from what all I have read on here... that BMW(well some guys say KW tuned it for BMW!?) has done a great job with the PS kit.

I think the goal of any upgraded suspension is to be well rounded and provide better handling. And since you won't need a rock hard suspension for the track... your best bet is the PS kit.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #12
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Bob,
Our cars come with a 14mm forward rake from the factory. I had the holes made for the trunk liner. Very clean plus easy accessibility to adjust. Highly recommend doing it