E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dealer drilled my bumper, had to reorder!

07-19-2005, 09:33 AM   #1
AW330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 330i

Arrow Dealer drilled my bumper, had to reorder!

Well, had the dealership not screwed up I would have flooded the AW pics thread with pics of my new baby... But when my car came in some idiot at the dealership took out his drill and put two holes in my front bumper to mount the front liscense plate, after I had told them on several occasions that I did not want a front liscense plate and that if they put holes in the car I would not be taking delivery and they would have to order me another car that was identical.

Well big surprise they screwed up!!! So now they are scrambling around trying to fix the problem... They took the car to their body shop and had them fill the holes and repaint just the middle section of the bumper, and said that I could come inspect the work and that if i could tell that it had been painted they would order me another car. So my friend and I went back to the dealership to inspect the job, the paint was aweful you could see the dents in the bumper were the holes had been and there were spots were primer was showing through and to make matters worse the line between were the bumper was painted and where it was original paint showed the the color to be off by several shades... I was so pissed off i was having alot of trouble keeping control of my mouth, I mean I waited all of this time to get my car in and just on a whim some guy comes up and sets me back another two months. Well as I am sure you could guess I told the dealership that i would not take delivery of the car and that they would have to order me another one. So now i have another white e90 with all of the same options coming sometime in september. I am not a happy camper and all of this waiting is getting really old but for the meantime i will just sit back and wait for stuff to come out for the e90 and take some time to plan out exactly what it is that i want to do...
      07-19-2005, 09:40 AM   #2
YYdoodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 fanatic

AW330i that sux! Sorry to hear about that. I just don't understand why dealers can't get simple instructions/requests like this right. Can't they just order you an entirely new factory painted bumper? Seems like that'd be easier than ordering a whole new car and waiting 2 months.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

WTF that is horrible. Why dont you have them order you a new bumper and have them take it to a real shop. Forget that I would want it perfect too, I feel really bad for you. If they did not mess up the paint you could have just got some bumper plugs. The wait sucks and to do it all over again OMG. How are they going to sell that car now? My dealer and CA are great! You can see the sign she put on my car. She also took the frame out of the car as soon as it got off the truck and put it in her desk. Thats what I call going the extra mile. Jackie at Circle BMW, NJ is great!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

ditto have them order the bumper!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 09:54 AM   #5
roburado
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Passat, '09 Cayman S

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
I'm with AW. Wait for new car.

Family History: Two E21 320i, One E28 535is, One E34 535i, One E34 540i
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 09:56 AM   #6
YYdoodle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roburado
I'm with AW. Wait for new car.

Why wait for a whole new car for 2 months when there's a brand new one sitting there for him. If they give him a new factory painted undrilled bumper there's absolutely no difference between this car and the new one he has to wait 2 months for. If new bumper is an option I don't see the point of waiting 2 more painful months.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 09:58 AM   #7
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps
AW330i that sux! Sorry to hear about that. I just don't understand why dealers can't get simple instructions/requests like this right. Can't they just order you an entirely new factory painted bumper? Seems like that'd be easier than ordering a whole new car and waiting 2 months.
I think it's almost impossible to prevent such things from hapenning. They would have to be running their ship as a factory assembly line for such orders about individual cars to reach all the right people at the right shift that happen to handle the car when it shows up.

Is the front plate required in Texas? If it is, I'm surprised they can humor your request for a new vehicle. If it were optional, then that's a different story.

A new bumper installed at a top-notch shop could be a good middle ground solution.
      07-19-2005, 10:00 AM   #8
YYdoodle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado
A new bumper installed at a top-notch shop could be a good middle ground solution.
Or just have them install it at the dealer. Changing bumpers isn't rocket science I'm sure they'll do just fine at the dealer
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 10:01 AM   #9
roburado
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Passat, '09 Cayman S

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
Why wait for a whole new car for 2 months when there's a brand new one sitting there for him. If they give him a new factory painted undrilled bumper there's absolutely no difference between this car and the new one he has to wait 2 months for. If new bumper is an option I don't see the point of waiting 2 more painful months.
You're assuming the following:
1)the people who put the new bumper on the car will do a good job. I won't make that assumption.
2) the people who put on the new bumper won't cause some damage to the car (that they won't notice, but AW330i will), making things worse. I won't make that assumption either. I'd wait for a new car.

Family History: Two E21 320i, One E28 535is, One E34 535i, One E34 540i
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 10:10 AM   #10
YYdoodle
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roburado
You're assuming the following:
1)the people who put the new bumper on the car will do a good job. I won't make that assumption.
2) the people who put on the new bumper won't cause some damage to the car (that they won't notice, but AW330i will), making things worse. I won't make that assumption either. I'd wait for a new car.

Personally I think it's not very likely that they damage some other part of the car fitting a bumper on, it's just a bumper... its installation is no more involved than screwing some parts of it to the body and fitting the air ducts and underbody paneling properly (I've done E46 bumper in the past) and if they do some damage to the new bumper while installing well he'll see it then.

Like I said, replacing a bumper is simple so personally I'd take a new bumper over waiting 2 months, but we all have different opinions on things so it's all good and what makes forums good
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 10:16 AM   #11
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Or just have them install it at the dealer. Changing bumpers isn't rocket science I'm sure they'll do just fine at the dealer
The dealer's body work guys/contractors seemed to be jokers from in the first post, that's why I suggested using some professionals.
      07-19-2005, 10:46 AM   #12
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Replace the bumper and be done with it.

That's what we get for having no bumper strip on our cars. Atleast w/the E46 could could swap out the front strip with one that had the support for a front plate. No need to drill holes.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 10:58 AM   #13
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Very Well

Off topic AW...but why do you need heated seats in Houston?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 11:23 AM   #14
JBOO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d

BMW Individual

To ensure it doesn't happen again, remind your dealer to properly tag the front with a BMW Individual option identifier. If they are unsure, show them this picture.

BTW, more pics of this white beauty can be found in the Alpine White thread.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 12:51 PM   #15
AW330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 330i

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your support. Yesterday when i went to the dealership to speak with my sales guy he said that they had sent the car to have the front bumper painted to factory specs. and they had placed the order for another car for me... He said that when my original car comes back from paint he would call me to take a look at it and that i could make my final decission from there... But honestly i dont think i will take the car even if the paint looks flawless. I dont want a car that has been dramatically depreciated from day 1 nor do I want to settle for a car that i have worked so hard for and know every day that it is damaged. This car was supposed to be a birthday present, I have been waiting since may and I think I would rather wait two more painstaking months and have everything perfect than settle and not be as proud of my baby as I could be. In the meantime I will just sit and drool over everyone elses e90... btw i am going to print that picture of the sign over the front bumper and bring it to the dealership to show my salesguy so that he can make one for my car the second time around...
      07-19-2005, 12:54 PM   #16
NaTuReB0Y