BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2015, 04:30 PM   #1
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Car towed by rear wheels, what needs to be replaced?

I went off about a month ago during a driving event and didn't have my recovery hook. So I had to get the car pulled out with straps hooked around the rear wheels, first the right then the left. The car was pulled up a fairly steep embankment so there was a decent amount of load. No damage except from the tow recovery effort. Obviously my rear alignment was completely screwed after being pulled out, car has been realigned and is fine for daily driving but not perfect, and I can feel alignment changes when going on / off hard throttle and hitting bumps at high speed.

Here's what I'm planning to replace:

--Toe links
--All rear bushings, with m3

Anything else? Never forget your recovery hook, btw. The car would have had no damage if I had it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
I went off about a month ago during a driving event and didn't have my recovery hook. So I had to get the car pulled out with straps hooked around the rear wheels, first the right then the left. The car was pulled up a fairly steep embankment so there was a decent amount of load. No damage except from the tow recovery effort. Obviously my rear alignment was completely screwed after being pulled out, car has been realigned and is fine for daily driving but not perfect, and I can feel alignment changes when going on / off hard throttle and hitting bumps at high speed.

Here's what I'm planning to replace:

--Toe links
--All rear bushings, with m3

Anything else? Never forget your recovery hook, btw. The car would have had no damage if I had it.
Likely the rear toe links as the upper link and guide link are hard to reach from the back of the vehicle.

Do you know what alignment setting is off? That will tell you better what needs to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Likely the rear toe links as the upper link and guide link are hard to reach from the back of the vehicle.

Do you know what alignment setting is off? That will tell you better what needs to be replaced.
Toe was way off when I got it aligned, was in spec after alignment, but it feels like the rear feels is changing toe on / off throttle and on bumps.
Appreciate 0