BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

If you ran ///M division...

If you ran BMW's ///M division what would you do? What changes would you make? This is just for fun so ignore the stranglehold BMW corporate puts on M.

If I ran ///M:
  • Offer track ready/race versions of the 1M & M3 (much like Porsche does with the GT3) at a fairly reasonable price.
  • Offer a plethora of unique M-only colors.
  • Become much more tuner friendly and increase the line of BMW performance parts.
  • Get M cars and M owners more involved in competition racing and track days.
  • Offer roll cages & harnesses from the factory.
  • Offer lightweight options such as no radio, air conditioning etc. Even fully stripped cars if the customer so desires.
  • Bring back the LTW flags
  • Give customers the option of turbo or high revving naturally aspirated engines.
  • More carbon fiber.
  • Build a super car.

It would be really awesome if BMW M would implement some of these things. Lately I feel like they are not the power house they used to be, although I like what they are doing with the 1M. I don't mind bigger/more luxurious cars as long as they offer alternatives.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I like your ideas and some would be fairly easy to implement, but others would most likely be too costly.
      04-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

I like it!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Uhm, yeah... sounds all great. But obviously this is seen from the car-lover's point of view.

Not from the stakeholders point of view
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
Uhm, yeah... sounds all great. But obviously this is seen from the car-lover's point of view.

Not from the stakeholders point of view
Yeah well a similar plan has been working for Ford.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
BMW NA Communications
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Subscribed...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNA_MGuy View Post
Subscribed...
Ha!

I really don't have any suggestions for you guys. Everything seems going in the right direction, especially in regards to styling. Only two things I wish for or would change?

1) Wish I could afford more of the M models (but that's my problem, not yours).
2) You guys at BMW M NA could tell me for sure that my 1M order will be fulfilled.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

If I were boss the first thing I'd do is fire myself. Because over the years I have caved in to the marketing oportunists and compromised the brand.

Why are we seeing things like X6Ms? And anyone can buy or option M badges on even something like a 120d.

I wonder if BMW knows what it's like for an M3 owner to pull up next to some dick with M badges on his car simply because he has an M steering wheel.

This is what happens when a marketing guy steps into an engineering role.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #9
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Subscribed...
Clarifying allocations so we can plan our schedules to take European Delivery.

I have had an order in place since before 2011 and put a deposit down in early 2011 but have no word on allocation yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I'd put an S65 in everything

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 12:49 AM   #11
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Quote:
Subscribed...
Mr. R. - Here are my suggestions:

1. Don't let the allocation process mess up the otherwise excellent job you guys have done with the 1M. Let people at the top of waiting lists know which month they'll receive their allocation (reportedly regional sales reps have this info already). Many of us placed deposits a long time ago and would appreciate some advanced notice to plan our ED.

2. Release as many parts from the 1M MotoGP safety car as possible through BMW Performance. Make a formal announcement to the 1M community when the car is officially released in May.

3. All next generation M cars should weigh less than their current versions.

4. Schedule more M schools at the Ring. Picking up a new M car in Munich followed by a two day M school on the Nordschliefe would be an incredible experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 12:57 AM   #12
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
Mr. R. -

All next generation M cars should weigh less than their current versions.
Yes yes yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 02:36 AM   #13
lavaletta
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 04 3.0i Z4; 09 135i; VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post

Why are we seeing things like X6Ms? And anyone can buy or option M badges on even something like a 120d.

I wonder if BMW knows what it's like for an M3 owner to pull up next to some dick with M badges on his car simply because he has an M steering wheel.
LOL +1!!
      04-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #14
Jet Mech
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe VO

Car that weighs no more than 3000lbs and never get rid of the inline 6. Future engines should be 2.5 to 2.7 turbocharged to help save weight and should put out 300 plus HP easy. If Suby and Mitsu can get 300hp out of 4bangers then 300 plus should be a piece of cake with an inline 6.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #15
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: plenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Clarifying allocations so we can plan our schedules to take European Delivery.

I have had an order in place since before 2011 and put a deposit down in early 2011 but have no word on allocation yet.
EXACTLY; my whole vacation is at risk of being compromised because I can't order my 1M.

My wife wants a car just so she can visit relatives. So what the plan was; have my wife ED an E92 M3. And I'll have my son ED his 1M. but if the 1M falls through, then we all have to go with only the M3 and what else? Not much anything better than a 1M except an M3. But two M3's.. ehh. :P
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #16
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep

Again this is really just for fun I realize not all of this is realistic but much of it is. ///M is not an option or package, it's a completely different car. I don't want to see it follow AMG where they just slap on the badge and you are on your way. Driving it should be an experience. Ford has been making a big deal about their new Mustangs keeping up with the M3 and I don't like it. This is not to take anything away from Ford or the Mustang, they are making some truly fantastic cars. M needs to refocus on Motorsport, up their game and show the motor industry who's boss.

On the issue of weight I honestly don't expect them to have a super light weight car (as cool as it would be) but it would be nice to offer lightweight options of trims/interior materials. I don't think the 1M or M3 need to be any heavier than they are now but I would like to see them around the 3,000 lb mark.

Think about having a kick ass M car with a reduced interior, roll cage, harness, racing seats, super wide wheels, etc. and throwing the keys to Car & Driver or R&T... They'd . It would be great for BMW as a whole and would refocus their M line. Great press and the cars to back it up, you can't beat that.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #17
ddigangi
'Murica
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
im with you man, great ideas. personally i'd up the price of the 1M but thats only cause i feel like the 1M is not completely in range of the rest of the M line and their exclusiveness

I blog at http://ddigangi.com
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #18
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
/M customers eat the cost, so the cost on BMW's part, is moot.

BMW has forgotten that M cars are for the customers, & that accountants don't matter here. The original M formula still works & sophistication/technology doesn't need to be in ur face, or in the way.

The M coupe proves both these points.

The OP should run M division.

(my idea is make a M clubsport, based off the M coupe..?)
Good point, though the two I see being the least likely are being more tuner friendly and offering both turbo and high revving NA engines in a given car. Excluding Alpina, I know BMW and other manufacturers for that matter aren't big on tuners because someone may end up blowing an engine due to an after market tune, then try to have it fixed under warranty. I don't like the fact that manufacturers are making it harder to reflash/program the ECU in order to prevent tunes. If you own the car, I think you should be able to do whatever you wish to it. Instead, I think they should just be able to detect a tune and determine if it caused the problem. Of course, this ends up costing the dealers more time and money which is why they want to prevent it.

Regarding the engine choice, I just don't see a high revving, inefficient NA engine being offered due to the mileage and carbon requirements. Now, if they can figure out a way to increase the mileage and reduce the carbon in such an engine to meet restrictions, then I'm all for it.
      04-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #19
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Regarding the engine choice, I just don't see a high revving, inefficient NA engine being offered due to the mileage and carbon requirements. Now, if they can figure out a way to increase the mileage and reduce the carbon in such an engine to meet restrictions, then I'm all for it.
I want to know how Mercedes is dropping monster engines in their cars without problem...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #20
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impervious View Post
I want to know how Mercedes is dropping monster engines in their cars without problem...
Well, those monster engines in their brand new cars have been given lower displacement and forced induction, the same route that the new M5 is going.
      04-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #21
mhrir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Very fast

A true M car needs to have an engine that M actually developed and not the same as what is available in non-M cars. It doesn't matter if it is turbo or not but it needs to be special. Otherwise it is just an M package which is all the 1M really is.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #22
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrir View Post
A true M car needs to have an engine that M actually developed and not the same as what is available in non-M cars. It doesn't matter if it is turbo or not but it needs to be special. Otherwise it is just an M package which is all the 1M really is.
x 10.000
Appreciate 0