BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
Alpha Trion
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Convertible

Bmw Sylvania Service Suck Ass

I have never been treated so shit from the service manager John (actually i have by him before). My car has had issues from day one. I thought i bought a lemon. I complained to BMW head office and i was told that should anything go wrong with my gearbox (amongst other things) within a year outside of warranty i would be 'taken care of'.

Real good. I have a oil leak from the gearbox.. I was told i would have a drive car whilst they have my car.. cool and... it didnt happen. I was given a car in the end and charged $77 per day for it.. i argued and homeboy didn't give a shit.

I get a phone call from him later today saying he needs the loan car back asap. has he finished my car.. no.. then how do you expect me to get home ya donkey??

Also BMW will look after me by them paying for the parts and i pay for labour... UM YEAH RIGHT..

So off to BMW H.O i go.. waiting for a call back now.

end rant (kind of)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

I hate hearing about shit like this I hope it gets sorted.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
Alpha Trion
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I have had issues since day ONE of purchasing the car. I am in customer service myself and i wouldn't treat anyone the way i was treated.

It doesn't solve any issues at all.

He also said he wouldn't clear my service code because he has to do the service.. i never had a problem clearing the service code before EVER!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Speak to A.R. @ Sylvania BMW

PM me if you like..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 03:09 AM   #5
chrisN
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw 125i coupe

Garage List
2010 125i  [8.66]
mmm that sucks to hear. if it helps any, they couldnt help me very much and i ended up at canterbury bmw; i found them to be more accommodating
      10-15-2012, 03:11 AM   #6
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Bugger. I hope you get it sorted out mate.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 04:16 AM   #7
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

I was once given a loan car, and then told they needed it back. Fark that.. what good is a loan car if you can't use it when you need to...

Anyway hope it gets sorted, and keep us updated. I like reading about these types of dealership stories
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 04:39 AM   #8
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Be diplomatic of course, make a comment on their Facebook page. I found them to be responsive in the past, adding comment and contacting me, good customer service in fact.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 05:25 AM   #9
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Hence, I like small dealers. However, I don't know if they are too many choices down in Sydney. I have a very good relationship with the dealer I go to and they look after me very well. If they haven't got a loan car and my car needed the service, I would be given either a demo, one of their staff's or the boss' car. It is really not too hard.

With many dealership starting to charge for a loan car, and $77 is excessive, I think when we get our new cars that has to be something negotiated. I know a fact that even on those big dealerships only some people get charge.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 05:37 AM   #10
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Hence, I like small dealers. However, I don't know if they are too many choices down in Sydney. I have a very good relationship with the dealer I go to and they look after me very well. If they haven't got a loan car and my car needed the service, I would be given either a demo, one of their staff's or the boss' car. It is really not too hard.

With many dealership starting to charge for a loan car, and $77 is excessive, I think when we get our new cars that has to be something negotiated. I know a fact that even on those big dealerships only some people get charge.

Same here... have never paid for a loan/courtesy car..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #11
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Same here... have never paid for a loan/courtesy car..
Me either, EPP being the reason in our case however. I had a new demo X1the other day for my first service on the 1M, I was disappointed tbh as I have had X5/6 and 535s previously. Spoilt I think is the word.

Give Facebook a try though, still worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
UR25IO
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M-SPORT DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbokker View Post
I have never paid for a loan car.

Once my dealer (who shall remain nameless) tried to charge me for loan car when my beast was in for warranty replacement stuff.

I told them I was refusing to pay for the loan car and just stood there. Created a bit of a scene in front of other customers (you know, the 8am service rush at any BMW dealership) and they gave in.
:thu msup:

maybe we all should do that!!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

they are all the same
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #14
Alpha Trion
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Zuzu I will hit you up shortly. I talked to BMW H.O again today and no one gives a toss.

I am soo disgusted with my experience with BMW both service and the car.. I will NEVER BUY ANOTHER BMW EVER. I'm in the market to buy a family car and the mrs wants an X5... I said this to BMW and still no one cares.

So they're going to charge me for the repairs of my gearbox AND the loan car for $77 a day.

Hopefully I can get in contact with mr Rod and sort something out.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #15
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

I'm assuming the car is no longer under warrenty? That is the only reason I can assume since you mention BMW will not cover the repairs and the loan car charge. If the car was under warrenty and needed warrenty work to be carried out even if you are not under the EPP program, the dealer would (should) not charge for a loan car and fix the leak at no charge.

When you initially had issues with your transmission and BMW HO stated they would take care of you up to a year outside of warrenty, was your concern at that time over an oil leak? If not, (and assuming you are out of warrenty) I can understand why they will not cover the repair. I'm in the EPP program, I've been in the BMW "family" with cars both in and out of warrenty being serviced at dealers. I've had to pay for oil leaks and loan cars when out of warrenty - thats life.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #16
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

If I'm reading your situation correctly, the dealer has no incentive to incur any cost of a repair - other than goodwill, and it doesn't sound like that's likely to happen. If you've bought cars from them before, you may be able to negotiate something, or get them to make representation to BMWA on your behalf. It doesn't sound like the service manager has much of a clue, so you'll probably have to go over his head to get anyware. But beyond that, I don't see the dealer doing much to help you. Ultimately, either you, the dealer or BMWA has to fund the work. From the dealers standpoint, the best outcome is you fund it, because he charges you full retail. I'd be staggered if the dealer funds it. And if BMWA fund it, the dealer only gets "warranty rates" for the labour, which is about half what you'd pay. Bottom line is, if the dealer can't get you to pay, he's better off not doing the work at all.

That being the case, you'll have to approach BMWA directly. In my experience (20 years & several cars) with BMWA, it matters a lot who you speak to. Firstly, do you have any record of the conversation, and undertaking you had when you initially raised concerns - even the name of the person you spoke to is helpful. If you do, and it happened when the car was under warranty, they are obliged to resolve it - no questions.

If not, you'll have to find someone who cares enough to want a happy customer. The first thing BMWA will try to do is get you to resolve it with the dealer - the person that answers the phone will try to make this happen. At this point, you tell them it's the dealer that's the problem - you've tried, and haven't made any progress. Thus you want to speak to someone that can help resolve the matter. As the car is out of warranty, there seems little point in speaking with the warranty folks. That leaves you with customer service. I've always found them to be helpful, and I've always been able to get a satisfactory resolution - albeit needing to be politely firm on occasion.

You have nothing to loose by trying. Be polite - be fact based in the discussion - give them as many data-points as you can on how you've been loyal and fair - and position the conversation as you seeking their help in achieveing a solution that both parties are happy with.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #17
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Not sure whether the OP purchased his car new from Sylvania BMW.. If not, well then they won't do him any favours..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Not sure whether the OP purchased his car new from Sylvania BMW.. If not, well then they won't do him any favours..
Very true - sometimes you need a relationship to fall back on
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #19
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

I know i posted before they are all the same, that was partially wrong, from my experience in very similar situations don't bother complaining to an independant dealer/mechanic, they will not give a shit about you, only complain to head office, and tell them you have already gone to Fair Trading and that a lawyer will be in contact. Than wait for a deal or compromise. Its worked 2 out of 2 times for me so far but if they call your bluff you could be screwed.

also be careful with independant dealers making you pay for the repair and then double dipping and claiming the warranty with BMWA.

i bought my 135i from Sylvania but had to go to BMW Sydney to get the HPFP replaced for free under warranty as Sylvania wanted to charge me for it. I have a whistle in the turbo now and i have to again go to Sydney to get it done as Sylvania are trying to pull the same trick again. Double dipping is pretty rampant with independant dealers i have been told.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #20
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Gee, Sylvania sound like a reputable mob. I'll be rushing to talk to them next time I'm in the market --- NOT!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 05:12 AM   #21
Alpha Trion
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Well i guess the conclusion to the story goes like this..

1. Talked to Logan in customer relations at BMW H.O Got absolutely nowhere with him being an arrogant asshole saying that BMW will stand their ground.

2. Had a great conversation with Michael at Sylvania.. now this guy has dealt with me being shitty and his boss John in the past when i put a complaint about John in and praised Michaels efforts.
-He was calm and understanding,
-He took care of costs for me as best he could saving me a shitload of $$
-He dealt with the whole situation in such a way HE should be the Service Manager and that other asshole should be OUT
10/10 service from him and cant praise him enough.

Got the repairs done $350 later.

I WILL NEVER BUY A BMW AGAIN.. Looking for a family car/ suv for the kids (that are due in Feb) so instead of buying an X5 or a 5 series, after all this shit i went and bought a Holden Captiva 7 fully loaded with goodies.

FUCK BMW, the headache ive had with this car, from the fuel pump to the customer relations dept.

But i still love my 135
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #22
Rob32R
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 530i/VW R32/E70 X5

It looks like Sylvania BMW's reputation has gone down. Sorry to hear about the debacles with the aforementioned dealer. At least everything is now sorted.
Appreciate 0