BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
wangt86
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 WRX, F25 X3, Lotus Elise

Convertible Window Issue

I'm just wondering if anyone has had this problem.

Drop your top completely and rolling down both driver side windows. Now bring only your driver side window up completely. Then roll up the rear driver side window. I get this loud and violent thump noise. I tried the same procedure on the passenger side and it did not occur.

We had this problem fixed before and I believe they replaced the regulator and the glass but messed up the alignment in the interior molding. (They even had the audacity to say that was normal) So I brought it back to fix the interior molding and now this issue is occurring again. I'm bringing it back although my service advisor says they did nothing with the window alignment and started getting a bit nasty after I mentioned it.

Any help would be appreciated since this car has been in for service at least 5 times in the past year for various issue including engine knocking in addition to the valve tapping, convertible window, and the recall. We've been to 2 dealerships to service our car but after their belief that poorly aligned interior that is about half inch off is acceptable it seriously feels like lost hope.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Read the manual- it clearly states that the rear windows have to be raised BEFORE the front ones so that they properly align- that's why it's a good idea to only use the "big" button to raise all the windows. It automatically brings the rears up first.

It's not a good design but it is what it is.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
Read the manual- it clearly states that the rear windows have to be raised BEFORE the front ones so that they properly align- that's why it's a good idea to only use the "big" button to raise all the windows. It automatically brings the rears up first.

Yes, but that's to get a good seal - he shouldn't be getting a "loud and violent thump noise" just cause he closes the front first.
      11-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:

Yes, but that's to get a good seal - he shouldn't be getting a "loud and violent thump noise" just cause he closes the front first.
      11-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
It's probably the window snapping into place after being misaligned by not raising it properly.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
wangt86
Private
United_States
Rep

Like I mentioned before the difference between the passenger and driver side is tremendous. The passenger side gets a good seal noise between the rubber while the driver side gets a huge and definitely not normal thump.

I only posted to see if others were having this issue and not to be told on how to close a window. When I drive I don't think about which windows to open and close first. In the future I will take note of this and use the large button instead. Since the car is under warranty it should be addressed rather than ignored before it becomes an issue in the future.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangt86 View Post
Like I mentioned before the difference between the passenger and driver side is tremendous. The passenger side gets a good seal noise between the rubber while the driver side gets a huge and definitely not normal thump.

I only posted to see if others were having this issue and not to be told on how to close a window. When I drive I don't think about which windows to open and close first. In the future I will take note of this and use the large button instead. Since the car is under warranty it should be addressed rather than ignored before it becomes an issue in the future.
If you raise the windows using the big button, or raise the rear window first, do you get the "violent thump"? If you don't- you don't have an issue. That's just the way they work.

If you ever try to open the hood while the windshield wipers are extended off the windshield to clean it (don't), the wiper arms will break the glass. This, like the window raising order, is just an oversight with the way it was built.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
wangt86
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you raise the windows using the big button, or raise the rear window first, do you get the "violent thump"? If you don't- you don't have an issue. That's just the way they work.

If you ever try to open the hood while the windshield wipers are extended off the windshield to clean it (don't), the wiper arms will break the glass. This, like the window raising order, is just an oversight with the way it was built.
Can anyone confirm or not if both sides roll up and seal with the same sound and not with a big thump. I don't believe its an oversight it is poor quality control on BMW's side and the horrible service work by the dealerships.

Last edited by wangt86; 11-13-2010 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0