BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - GIAC:S2

Question on Akrapovic Evo system

My Akrapovic system gets here within the next two days. My engine is stock and most likely will stay that way. I opted for the Evo system but opted out of the wireless kit and downpipes with that said. Is it possible to plug the cut out valves in such a way so they remain open and it's not permanent, in case I do opt for the wireless kit down the road... Just nervous about cold starts and my neighbors... Thanks for any info on this!
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877009
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

You can replace the "Akra Flower Pot" pipe with the "Akra Wireless Kit" pipe, because these pieces are interchangeable.
See: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=12

However, the butterfly valve requires wiring to function: creating a required vacuum upon start up (even with the wireless kit, upon cold start you'll experience an inevitable 2 to 3 second noise that subsequently dies away as the system automatically goes into closed valve mode) + toggling between opening and closing the butterfly valve.

Do yourself a favor and back order the wireless kit to have peace of mind. Your neighbors might not gonna appreciate cold starts with a race sound rumble which you can't quiet down. It is loud.
      02-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
You can replace the "Akra Flower Pot" pipe with the "Akra Wireless Kit" pipe, because these pieces are interchangeable.
See: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=12

However, the butterfly valve requires wiring to function: creating a required vacuum upon start up (even with the wireless kit, upon cold start you'll experience an inevitable 2 to 3 second noise that subsequently dies away as the system automatically goes into closed valve mode) + toggling between opening and closing the butterfly valve.

Do yourself a favor and back order the wireless kit to have peace of mind. Your neighbors might not gonna appreciate cold starts with a race sound rumble which you can't quiet down. It is loud.
So it's either, go all out, and grind off the valve plates for good? Or get the wireless kit so I have the option and do not have to grind off anything... Also I wanted to add that there are louder cars around me... Mustangs with straight pipes, there's is an R8 two doors down etc. a lot worse than myself... I just am a proactive kind of person rather than a reactive one. My neighbor had an e60 ///M5 with full magna-flows and he never had an issue. He told me to relax on this issue, I will be fine lol. I sure hope so, technically it's legal but again people suck. It's not like I let it idle and warm up... I usually start it, slowly cruise out of the gate in first then shift early since everything is still cold. It would be a loud 60 sec max before I am on my way. I'm also 23 years old...
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw13 View Post
So it's either, go all out, and grind off the valve plates for good? Or get the wireless kit so I have the option and do not have to grind off anything...
OK, I'll explain - catch my drift.

For a better understanding first check the picture below, as well as the first two pictures of my earlier post: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=12.

Name:  Akrapovic_WirelessKit.jpg
Views: 6698
Size:  56.0 KB

When speaking about the "valve plates" I guess you refer to the welded blocking plate at one side of the small connecting pipe. I call that piece "The Akra Flower Pot" because that's what it looks like: a titanium vase. It's only one piece.

The Akra "Wireless Kit" connecting pipe (same size) has no such blocking plate at one of its sides. However, it features a butterfly valve internally: a circular movable blocking plate in the middle of the pipe (connected from the 9 o'clock position to the 3 o'clock position with an axis). In 'closed valve' mode (quiet mode - code white) the butterfly valve is in vertical position, functioning as a blocking plate, impeding the exhaust fumes from accessing the circular outer pipes. All fumes pass through the exhaust muffler (the big box) and exit the exhaust via the inner exhaust tips. When operating 'opened valve' mode (loud mode - code red - "Thunder Mode") the butterfly valve flips/revolves/rotates over its axis to horizontal position, perfectly in the middle of the connecting pipe (so it does not disappear, but simply no longer impedes the exhaust fumes from exiting through the outer pipes and outer exhaust tips, bypassing the exhaust muffler).

That's why, without the wireless kit, the outer pipes are not used (and outer tips will remain clean) and the exhaust sound seems to be even a little quieter than the OEM 1M exhaust sound whenever the engine is under load.

Those who don't opt for the wireless kit, in order to get the sporty sound on a permanent basis, grind off and remove the welded blocking plate from the connecting pipe (otherwise stated, the "Akra Flower Pot" loses its base and so the exhaust is permanently loud, without the possibility to toggle to quiet mode).

If you get the wireless kit the "Akra Flower Pot" becomes a redundant piece. You don't need to grind off it's blocking plate, simply because you don't install that piece. Store it somewhere, intact. It's interchangeable with the wireless kit connecting pipe, so might be useful in the future if you would ever be required by technical car control authorities or the Police to replace the wireless kit connecting pipe. Just a swap.

Getting the Akra wireless kit is a no-brainer if you regularly park your car at night in an area where you're not the only one around. Moreover, it's more than just a fringe benefit gimmick - it's fairly practical to be able to toggle between loud mode and quiet mode as much as you want and whenever you want, for all the right reasons for others ...and yourself.

Akra butterfly valve closed (code white):
Name:  Akra_ValveClosed.jpg
Views: 3089
Size:  82.3 KB
Akra butterfly valve open (code red):
Name:  Akra_ValveOpen.jpg
Views: 3832
Size:  84.4 KB
Akra butterfly valve open (comparison with the inner exhaust tail pipe):
Name:  Akra_ValveOpen2.jpg
Views: 3911
Size:  102.4 KB

Last edited by Artemis; 03-03-2013 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: Added pictures
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Whether you choose to grind off the block-off plate or not has no effect on whether you can add the wireless later or not. It's a separate section of pipe all-together, as Artemis shows in the picture above.
      02-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider
Whether you choose to grind off the block-off plate or not has no effect on whether you can add the wireless later or not. It's a separate section of pipe all-together, as Artemis shows in the picture above.
I realized that shortly after examining the photos a little more. Is there any specific way to grind off the blocking plate or recommended way? I just want to make sure it done properly. Tomorrow is the big day!
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I realized that shortly after examining the photos a little more. Is there any specific way to grind off the blocking plate or recommended way? I just want to make sure it done properly. Tomorrow is the big day!
There's no right or wrong way to do it. It's pretty hard to screw up.

Let us know how you like it!
      02-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Is there any specific way to grind off the blocking plate or recommended way? I just want to make sure it done properly.
Check 00:47-00:48 of the video below (removal of the welded blocking plate of/off the connecting pipe):

As flzrider said, let us know your experiences.
      02-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #9
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Already done! It is perfect and the cold start is not THAT bad... I am in love with this exhaust note! It is just so right!!!!
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Already done! It is perfect and the cold start is not THAT bad... I am in love with this exhaust note! It is just so right!!!!

Glad you like it, IMHO it is good sh1t!

By the way that was my wife's car in the akra vid posted by Artemis above. We have sold that car and moved the system to our BSM Vader car.

Ps, I still want your headlights hahahahaha
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine*
Quote:

Glad you like it, IMHO it is good sh1t!

By the way that was my wife's car in the akra vid posted by Artemis above. We have sold that car and moved the system to our BSM Vader car.

Ps, I still want your headlights hahahahaha
Haha thanks!
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #12
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
It is just so right!!!!
After lusting for it, enjoy it ...and try to get rid of the permagrin.

Name:  ReallyReallyWant.jpg
Views: 2818
Size:  137.9 KB
      02-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
After lusting for it, enjoy it ...and try to get rid of the permagrin.

Attachment 817851
That's too funny, I was driving around just yesterday and actually had to roll up my window because I could not stop smiling from this exhaust! I am definitely enjoying it, and this grin just may become a problem!
I gave a lot of rides over the weekend and to whole bunch of car enthusiasts. Two of the enthusiasts are 1M owners and are familiar with Akrapovic. Both genuinely loved the system and were truly impressed despite maybe having negative feelings about it prior. If you have the opportunity to hear it person, take advantage and give it a good listen! The milliseconds of joy have doubled, maybe even tripled(yeah, it's that amazing)! It is like getting the car all over again but it is just so perfect/ right this time around! It growls but, roars when you want it to! I will stop now because, man I could go all day...
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740

Last edited by bmw13; 02-11-2013 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #14
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Anyone else's tips still get dirty despite cutting out blocking plate? I remember reading somewhere that the tips wont get dirty, but mine certainly are! With that said, I do get my car hand washed/ detailed weekly; are their any cleaning solutions or chemicals that should be avoided when cleaning the exhaust? I would hate to see the Akrapovic come off the tips or start to fade etc. I'm proactive, so if there is something I need to tell my detailer, I would like to sooner than later! Thanks for any advice/ help on this!
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Anyone else's tips still get dirty despite cutting out blocking plate? I remember reading somewhere that the tips wont get dirty, but mine certainly are! With that said, I do get my car hand washed/ detailed weekly; are their any cleaning solutions or chemicals that should be avoided when cleaning the exhaust? I would hate to see the Akrapovic come off the tips or start to fade etc. I'm proactive, so if there is something I need to tell my detailer, I would like to sooner than later! Thanks for any advice/ help on this!
Cutting out the block-off plate ensures that exhuast gasses exit all 4 pipes, so all 4 should definitely be getting dirty. If you were to leave the block-off plate OR leave the valve closed with the wireless kit, you would only have the inner 2 pipes emit gas and only those would get dirty.

As for cleaning the exhaust, i'm not sure, actually. Are there any generally accepted cleaning procedures for titanium?
      02-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #16
Artemis
Rep

I chose the lazy option: got the CF tips instead of the titanium tips, so it's all blended black, and I don't mind it that way.
      02-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #17
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
Cutting out the block-off plate ensures that exhuast gasses exit all 4 pipes, so all 4 should definitely be getting dirty. If you were to leave the block-off plate OR leave the valve closed with the wireless kit, you would only have the inner 2 pipes emit gas and only those would get dirty.

As for cleaning the exhaust, i'm not sure, actually. Are there any generally accepted cleaning procedures for titanium?
Ah I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me, I was quite confused!

I am very curious though as to the proper cleaning procedures to the titanium. I will ask around and report back!
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Found this:

"It is very important to clean the exhaust system thoroughly after installation, as any dirt or debris will later be burned into the exhaust system. A contact cleaner can be used to clean the pipes, while for the titanium muffler outer sleeve we recommend using a multi-purpose spray lubricant (WD-40 or equivalent). The carbon-fiber outer sleeve should be wiped with a soft dry cloth.

WARNING! Do not use automotive wheel cleaners or any cleaning products which contain acidic additives to clean the front rosettes of Akrapovič Bolt-On exhaust systems.

If such cleaning products are used damage occurs in the form of corrosion of the ALU front rosette, which leads to the breakage of the inner flange which the muffler outer sleeve is attached to.

In order to get rid of dirt and buildup more easily, such cleaners contain acids which react with, i.e. eat into, the surface. The reaction gradually increases over time, which has a major effect on aluminum, which is very susceptible to the effects of acids. The compound of aluminum, acid and water leads to the creation of the galvanic effect, which results in even greater damage. This problem is especially acute because the flange in question cannot be thoroughly sprayed with water and dried. At first the damage is undetectable, but the chemical reaction continues unseen."
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Anyone else's tips still get dirty despite cutting out blocking plate? I remember reading somewhere that the tips wont get dirty, but mine certainly are!
Actually, I explained this already to you in post #4 above in this thread (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...21&postcount=4), as well as in a detailed post in a thread that you had created (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=12).

Feel free to re-read both posts and examine the pictures and you will perfectly understand how the exhaust fumes routing works on your Akra and why all four tips of your Akra exhaust get dirty.
      02-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #20
frank35
Private
Rep
Drives: 335I JB3 DCI

hi guys,
I have a problem with the wireless kit. While driving wearing the button with the valve closed or open, from time to time the start button light switched on and off rapidly, which has been according to the instruction manual, a loss of communication and the entire system is installed correctly. someone happened something similar?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #21
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank35 View Post
hi guys,
I have a problem with the wireless kit. While driving wearing the button with the valve closed or open, from time to time the start button light switched on and off rapidly, which has been according to the instruction manual, a loss of communication and the entire system is installed correctly. someone happened something similar?
Mine has been fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #22
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank35 View Post
hi guys,
Yup. I've noticed this the last few times before I put the car away for the winter.

I wonder if something (cell phone?) is causing the wireless signal to be lost?

Where did you install your transmitter? Mine is in front of the shifter.
Appreciate 0