BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #23
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uratomb View Post
Driver's side:

Passenger's side:

Also my plate didn't seem to fit on my car, I have to cut one of the bolt shorter each side in order to fit it.

Is it just me; or does this not look right? Those numbers should be going towards the inside (towards motor) on both sides in decreasing order -1.0, -1.5 and so on. That install looks weird, but I'm going by my own Vorshlag install, not GC so I could be wrong.
      04-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #24
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandyr View Post
Toe is what really kills tires; what do you run for toe in the front?
Are you sure about that?
It seems hard to believe that negative camber wouldn't be at least involved in killing the inside shoulder of a tire, given that that's what you're driving on when going in a straight line then. Tire rack also has an article about this:

"Less negative camber (until the tire is perpendicular to the road at zero camber) typically will reduce the cornering ability, but results in more even wear."
Source: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...&affiliate=HJ3
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #25
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

i think the orientation looks right to me (i'll verify when i get home), but the forward-most hat stud was lining up with the 2.5 marker at maximum setting for me. i ultimately backed it off quite a lot to get to a more realistic amount of camber, leaving it roughly where the above pictures show (a little past the 1 marker), so in my case, i was able to get significantly greater range.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #26
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by int2str View Post
Are you sure about that?
It seems hard to believe that negative camber wouldn't be at least involved in killing the inside shoulder of a tire, given that that's what you're driving on when going in a straight line then. Tire rack also has an article about this:

"Less negative camber (until the tire is perpendicular to the road at zero camber) typically will reduce the cornering ability, but results in more even wear."
Source: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...&affiliate=HJ3
both camber and toe have significant impacts on tire wear patterns, and should be set according to driving style. speaking broadly, some toe-out (or decreased toe-in) should be paired with increasing amounts of negative camber to neutralize things (but this is not always the case).
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #27
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandyr View Post
Is it just me; or does this not look right? Those numbers should be going towards the inside (towards motor) on both sides in decreasing order -1.0, -1.5 and so on. That install looks weird, but I'm going by my own Vorshlag install, not GC so I could be wrong.
yeah I noticed that too. should be going in the other direction. when I first had my plates installed they were installed backwards. needless to say never went back to them
      04-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #28
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
yeah I noticed that too. should be going in the other direction. when I first had my plates installed they were installed backwards. needless to say never went back to them
the plate marked with the indicator numbers moves inboard to increase (absolute value) negative camber. looks right to me. just not sure why his stops there and mine continues much further inboard.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #29
uratomb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 135i

Quote:
Let me double check it with my other shop to clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post
the plate marked with the indicator numbers moves inboard to increase (absolute value) negative camber. looks right to me. just not sure why his stops there and mine continues much further inboard.
The shop who did the installation and alignment told me that's the max it can go. I will double check with my other shop later as well.

Will let you guys know soon
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #30
uratomb
Lieutenant
Rep

Confirmed.
It is installed to the wrong side. No wonder I needed to cut the bolt

The shop has good reputation so I think they didn't mean to make that mistake.

Now I should decide whether I should upgrade my suspension......... Since the whole thing needs to be out again Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #31
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
I don't think it's a matter of wrong side. the plate is facing the wrong direction. take a look at this picture
Attached Images

04-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #32
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
yea, all you have to do is loosen them up and spin it around till it faces the correct way
      04-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #33
rvsixdriver
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

I think it is correct

Quote:
I don't think it's a matter of wrong side. the plate is facing the wrong direction. take a look at this picture
I must be missing something. In your reference picture as well as urotombs pics above, the CL and lower numbers are toward the motor and away from the windshield, higher negative values are toward the fender, so all are alike. In all pics, increasing negative camber would move the CL toward the motor and slide the numers to a higher negative value relative to a fixed position on the frame.

Uratomb, are you sure the installation is incorrect, because if so, mine is incorrect as well. Mine is just like your installed by a highly experienced shop. Note, we also had to cut one stud under the brace same as you. Note that I also e-mailed pics to GC to verify installation and they found no issue.

I will say that we got -2.1 no problem, but that is all we were shooting for.

Can incorrect installation account for increased noise and clunking on GC street plates?

Last edited by rvsixdriver; 04-12-2012 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #34
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

here are mine. they're indicating about one more degree than i see above, and they have a lot more room to move inboard. looks to me like uratomb's plates are oriented correctly. it's pretty tough to get wrong... they're very clearly labeled. first pic is of passenger side, second is driver's side. they're set at 2.5 degrees right now, a long way short of the maximum i was able to get.

also, the studs are of equal length and symmetrical (about the axis) position, so the orientation of the plate should have no bearing on whether or not a stud would need to be cut under the strut brace.
Attached Images

Last edited by fourtailpipes; 04-12-2012 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #35
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
here are mine. they're indicating about one more degree than i see above, and they have a lot more room to move inboard. looks to me like uratombomb's plates are oriented correctly. it's pretty tough to get wrong... they're very clearly labeled. first pic is of passenger side, second is driver's side. they're set at 2.5 degrees right now, a long way short of the maximum i was able to get.

also, the studs are of equal length and symmetrical (about the axis) position, so the orientation of the plate should have no bearing on whether or not a stud would need to be cut under the strut brace.
yours also needs to be flipped. your showing -2.5 in the wrong direction. on the other hand his is not only pointing in the wrong direction but also backwards. can't see the difference?!
      04-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #36
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

Quote:
yours also needs to be flipped. your showing -2.5 in the wrong direction. on the other hand his is not only pointing in the wrong direction but also backwards. can't see the difference?!
i do not see a difference in orientation between his installation and mine. mine are installed correctly, and the indicator markings are correct. higher (absolute value) numbers should be toward the fenders.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #37
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
shouldn't the negative values be towards the engine? also between your two pictures, I see the markers going in different directions. am I not seeing it right?
      04-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #38
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

the higher numbers should be toward the fender because the markings are on the piece of the plate that carries the strut bearing. as the bearing moves inward (increasing negative camber), the higher numbers are displayed in the center of the plate. if you look at the picture you posted in post 31 above, you can see the fixed piece in silver which has an arrow indicating where among the numbers on the floating (labeled) plate you've landed. i imagine on the e9X this arrow can be seen, but in the e8X, this arrow is obscured.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #39
rvsixdriver
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

Quote:
the higher numbers should be toward the fender because the markings are on the piece of the plate that carries the strut bearing. as the bearing moves inward (increasing negative camber), the higher numbers are displayed in the center of the plate. if you look at the picture you posted in post 31 above, you can see the fixed piece in silver which has an arrow indicating where among the numbers on the floating (labeled) plate you've landed. i imagine on the e9X this arrow can be seen, but in the e8X, this arrow is obscured.

I agree. Your installation is exactly like mine and the orientation is consistent with picture posted by pixelblue above.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #40
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsixdriver View Post
I agree. Your installation is exactly like mine and the orientation is consistent with picture posted by pixelblue above.

...which brings me back to my original question: why am i seemingly able to get far more adjustment range out of my plates than has been reported elsewhere? there remains some inconsistent information, and i'd like to get to the bottom of this.

uratomb's plates do not appear to be anywhere near their maximum setting, yet he reports he's not getting any more adjustment out of them. is the stock spring running into the unibody preventing further movement? my KW V1 uses a spring with the same upper seat dimension as a stock spring, but perhaps the spring diameter in the middle is greater with a stock spring than the KW causing clearance issues? i can't really think of any other reason why the plate would stop there.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #41
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsixdriver View Post
I concur as mine are the same..

I didnt have to cut the bolt under the brace, but i did have to put a washer onder the brace to hold it up just a bit..

I will cut all of them as they are way way too long..

also to add to my review.. the plates have quieted down some, i guess the found there happy spot and the springs settled etc etc.. much more easy on the ears when daily driving .. ( they were a bit "thunky" when first installed )
      04-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #42
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
I concur as mine are the same..

I didnt have to cut the bolt under the brace, but i did have to put a washer onder the brace to hold it up just a bit..

I will cut all of them as they are way way too long..

also to add to my review.. the plates have quieted down some, i guess the found there happy spot and the springs settled etc etc.. much more easy on the ears when daily driving .. ( they were a bit "thunky" when first installed )
on my first 2-3 drives after installing, mine were also extremely noisy. after things settled and i retorqued everything, i havent heard a peep from them aside from the slight overall increase in road noise transmitted to the chassis from the firmer strut bearing.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #43
uratomb
Lieutenant
Rep

Just emailed Ground Control about it.

Will see what they say
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #44
fourtailpipes
Major