BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-25-2016, 02:41 PM   #1
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep
Drives: slut whisperer

Road Tripping Across the US!

Hi all,

So...just to clear the elephant in the room, I apologize for my recent antics around OT.

I'm taking a solo road trip from Washington, DC to San Diego, CA. The trip will be for 12-14 days. Planning on driving about 4-5 hours/day. I'm trying to figure out the best way to plan for it so I can see as much as possible on a budget. So this is the route I plan on taking for now:

The only must-see for me is the Grand Canyon. I heard the drive through Kentucky is nice, so I would like to pass through.

I'm into a bit of hiking, scenic views of nature [rather than museums or cities, etc.], and just getting to experience the outdoors as much as possible. Photography-worthy places. I've never left the East Coast in my life, so this is a huge opportunity to see a lot of amazing places. That being said...

1. What are absolute must-see places in this route, or a similar route? National parks or other scenic places would be nice.
2. What is the best way to plan for the road trip so that I know I can hit as many places as possible?
3. Right now, my budget is about $1,000-1,200. Again, I'm not into big cities or eating at expensive restaurants [plus, I'm taking this trip solo]. Fast food or small, cheap burger places will suffice. So, I should only be paying for a hotel room each night for 12-14 days, 2 meals a day [assuming breakfast provided with hotel], gas, and maybe snacks or smaller items I need to pick up along the way. Does this seem like a reasonable budget?
4. Is there anything I should broaden my horizons for during this once-in-a-lifetime trip? Something you think I will regret 10, 20 years from now, if I don't do it?
5. I'm taking a 2014 Mustang 5.0 with 19K miles on it. Not a single issue with the vehicle yet [knock on wood]. Good idea or bad?

Any advice, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated!!
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #2
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoosh
Hi all,

So...just to clear the elephant in the room, I apologize for my recent antics around OT.

I'm taking a solo road trip from Washington, DC to San Diego, CA. The trip will be for 12-14 days. Planning on driving about 4-5 hours/day. I'm trying to figure out the best way to plan for it so I can see as much as possible on a budget. So this is the route I plan on taking for now:

[IMG]http://s31.postimg.org/42iocw2t7/Untitled.png[/IMG]

The only must-see for me is the Grand Canyon. I heard the drive through Kentucky is nice, so I would like to pass through.

I'm into a bit of hiking, scenic views of nature [rather than museums or cities, etc.], and just getting to experience the outdoors as much as possible. Photography-worthy places. I've never left the East Coast in my life, so this is a huge opportunity to see a lot of amazing places. That being said...

1. What are absolute must-see places in this route, or a similar route? National parks or other scenic places would be nice.
2. What is the best way to plan for the road trip so that I know I can hit as many places as possible?
3. Right now, my budget is about $1,000-1,200. Again, I'm not into big cities or eating at expensive restaurants [plus, I'm taking this trip solo]. Fast food or small, cheap burger places will suffice. So, I should only be paying for a hotel room each night for 12-14 days, 2 meals a day [assuming breakfast provided with hotel], gas, and maybe snacks or smaller items I need to pick up along the way. Does this seem like a reasonable budget?
4. Is there anything I should broaden my horizons for during this once-in-a-lifetime trip? Something you think I will regret 10, 20 years from now, if I don't do it?
5. I'm taking a 2014 Mustang 5.0 with 19K miles on it. Not a single issue with the vehicle yet [knock on wood]. Good idea or bad?

Any advice, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated!!
I will let others comment on places to see, as I have never driven this southern route. I will say that your budget seems low. If you plan the maximum budget and the minimum stay overs, you need to be under $100 a night. Without anal rape or giving handy' son the side for money, I'm not thinking that is going to cut it. I assume gas is not part of that budget belts say you eat utter crap and average $20 a day in food. That is $240 (minimum). That leaves you at like $80 for hotel per night. I would look at some planned hotel stops. This may need adjustment. Again, I used best case numbers.

Edit: sounds like fun though! Enjoy. Lots of cool stuff: plains, mountains, desert...
      04-25-2016, 03:25 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Never done it, however, looking at your post I would say your maybe over planning, don't be too inclined to have too many points of interest. And, I think you should increase your projected expenses.
Google Fodor's Travel Guide and ' driving across U.S.'
But I don't really know.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 03:42 PM   #4
Ragged Edge
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16F80,TR6,Defender,PA23-250T

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Take a tent and camp every other night or two. You can always find a cheap place to eat nearby and the next night you can do a hotel to clean up. That'll cut the hotel bill significantly. Plus you get to stay in some gorgeous locations, where the cheap hotels won't be.
Appreciate 3
      04-25-2016, 03:44 PM   #5
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

that's a really light budget imo. I just did a 1700 mile trip from Houston to NY when I picked up my e92 and minus gas I spent about $2k(for 2).
3 day trip and hotels were 150 avg.
Food was the most expensive. Can't live off junk when you pass by foodie places by state.
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2016, 03:58 PM   #6
3s4u2
Beamer Mantic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Prem

I agree, take a tint, I'm sure there are many cool places to stay on the road. Besides, once you pick-up your cargo, you might want to say near the car!
2014 X5 50i M-Pkg
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #7
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep

Great idea, thanks guys! About to pick up some camping gear. I think every other night at a hotel would be perfect, and save a lot of money. Unfortunately, as a currently broke grad school student, I have to maintain a budget (going out to San Deigo for a dream job). Max I can afford is $1500, but I can afford to lessen the days, increase time on the road per day.

So just a few questions on that, how frequently would I pass camping sites? Just generally. Would I have to scope them out ahead of time, or should I just be able to wing it?

Also, I'm thinking just a tent, blanket, pillow, and some lights? Of course I'll have my essentials like toothbrushes, water, etc. Will also bring a couple of books and a guitar, if it will fit in my tiny little car

I've only camped for one day before, but it was a good time. Looking forward to it!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 04:31 PM   #8
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xdrive Gran Coupe

Only about 2 hours' drive off your route, but I'd seriously take a detour through the Sedona, AZ area, south of the Grand Canyon. Incredible scenery that would rival what you see in the Grand Canyon.

If you're looking for a slightly different route back, Yellowstone National Park is an absolute must visit for a drive across the country! Plenty of camping there!!

Thinking of doing this route myself with the family this summer in my BMW!
      04-25-2016, 04:33 PM   #9
TopQuark
Private
Rep
Drives: 528i

Your route looks like it will miss 4 corners, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, and Zion National Park. Those are very nice places. Once you hit Nevada, drop by Las Vegas to recuperate before heading down to San Diego.
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #10
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurrs View Post
Only about 2 hours' drive off your route, but I'd seriously take a detour through the Sedona, AZ area, south of the Grand Canyon. Incredible scenery that would rival what you see in the Grand Canyon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopQuark View Post
Your route looks like it will miss 4 corners, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, and Zion National Park. Those are very nice places.
As they said and I was going to add, you seem to be missing some amazing drives and epic scenery that will be right by you with Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, and especially Sedona.

I know when I went to the grand canyon a few years ago, I went there and then threw in Sedona as a throw away since I'd already be out there and honestly, the grand canyon I didn't think was all that great. Definitely worth seeing, but after 10 minutes of staring at it, it didn't do much for me. The drive and scenery in Sedona though, is amazing and was 100x better. The drive down the 89A from flagstaff through oak creek canyon into sedona is beautiful and epic. I'd recommend that and then heading back up to the Grand Canyon.

If you decide to head through Vegas perhaps after the Grand Canyon, Valley of Fire National Park is 30-45 minutes outside of there and another great drive.

Looks like you're taking the 40 as well through new mexico and arizona. I just did these drives last week, the new mexico portions are just okay, but honestly, driving around sedona was much more scenic if you have to choose. Petrified Forest National Park is right off the 40 as well, and just spending 15-20 minutes checking out the views of the northern portion of that park from the 40 and north a few minutes is worth stopping and checking out. The park south of the 40 wasn't all that great.

Not sure what you have planned for CA drives either as it's hard to tell on the map. Tons of amazing scenic drives there.
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #11
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

See if you can stretch your budget a bit more. Maybe to $1,400-$1,500 Fast food and all is cool, but there are some really good local eats along that route. Hotels, depending on the factors, will probably range from $60-$80. 4-5 hours a day driving seems a little short, imo, but if you got the time why not.

Route 66 through Arizona is beautiful (but flat). Easy to get your speed get the best of you and the LEOs there can get decent range from their radar runs. I'd probably borrow a nice radar detector.

Though gas is cheap, the 5.0 Mustang will eat away at your budget, especially in Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 08:41 PM   #12
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

You can take rte 66 from Tulsa to OKC which is a nice little drive. Also Downtown Tulsa has one of the highest concentrations of Art Deco Architecture in the country (if you are interested in architecture at all). I could name a couple of cool little food joints in Tulsa if interested.
      04-25-2016, 08:51 PM   #13
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

From my Vegas / Grand Canyon tour last November.

Angel's Landing (epic) hike in Zion.

Bryce Canyon. Can hike down into and through this canyon in 3-4 hours taking your time. Super cool.

South Rim of Grand Canyon. Worth the visit, but traversing from the eastern most side of the South Rim to the western most point (a whole day) the view hardly changes. Hang for a few hours to soak it in, walk a little bit of the rim, move on.

I believe you can camp at all of these places.
      04-25-2016, 09:04 PM   #14
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

I would do as much of rte 66 as possible. For sure Zion and Bryce. Look up KOA for their campsites. For a true adventure stay off the interstate. Rte 40 parallels a lot of interstate as does 66. You will be stuck doing 40-45mph, but you will see america. If you choose the rte method be VERY aware of speed limit. A lot of small towns have LEO just waiting for a payday. I've done cross country 2x and it really opens your eyes to how diversified this country is. I would add an air mattress to your camping gear.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 10:04 PM   #15
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep

Great advice in here guys, thanks! Please keep it coming, can't have too much info on a trip like this.

Will continue revising my route and plan. Definitely will up my budget to $1,500, hit the spots you all suggested [Utah and Sedona], and pick up an air mattress as well. No speeding, got it

I originally planned to travel a bit more south, through Tennessee. Here are the POI I had in that route, not in any order:

• The Parthenon – Nashville, TN
• Blue Hole of Santa Rosa – Santa Rosa, NM
• Foamhenge – Natural Bridge, VA
• Grand Canyon National Park – AZ
• Meteor Crater – Winslow, AZ
• Petrified Forest National Park – AZ
• Slide Rock State Park – Sedona, AZ
• Great Smoky Mountains – Gatlinburg, TN
• Lost Sea Adventure – Sweetwater, TN
• Palo Duro Canyon – Canyon, TX
• Petit Jean Park – Morrilton, AK
• Petroglyph Monument – Albuquerque, NM
• Mojave National Preserve – Barstow, CA
• Forbidden Caverns – Sevierville, TN
• Burgess Falls State Park – Baxter, TN
• Luray Caverns – Luray, VA
• Natural Bridge Park – Natural Bridge, VA
• Shenandoah Caverns – Mount Jackson, VA
• Grand Caverns – Grottoes, VA
• Shelby Farms Park – Memphis, TN
• Appalachian Caverns – Blountville, TN
• Red Rock Canyon State Park – Hinton, OK
• Groom Cross – Groom, TX

Edit: Well, I guess as stated above, Rte 40 and 66 are recommended. TN would be a different route.

Last edited by smoosh; 04-25-2016 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 10:29 PM   #16
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoosh
Great advice in here guys, thanks! Please keep it coming, can't have too much info on a trip like this.

Will continue revising my route and plan. Definitely will up my budget to $1,500, hit the spots you all suggested [Utah and Sedona], and pick up an air mattress as well. No speeding, got it

I originally planned to travel a bit more south, through Tennessee. Here are the POI I had in that route, not in any order:

• The Parthenon – Nashville, TN
• Blue Hole of Santa Rosa – Santa Rosa, NM
• Foamhenge – Natural Bridge, VA
• Grand Canyon National Park – AZ
• Meteor Crater – Winslow, AZ
• Petrified Forest National Park – AZ
• Slide Rock State Park – Sedona, AZ
• Great Smoky Mountains – Gatlinburg, TN
• Lost Sea Adventure – Sweetwater, TN
• Palo Duro Canyon – Canyon, TX
• Petit Jean Park – Morrilton, AK
• Petroglyph Monument – Albuquerque, NM
• Mojave National Preserve – Barstow, CA
• Forbidden Caverns – Sevierville, TN
• Burgess Falls State Park – Baxter, TN
• Luray Caverns – Luray, VA
• Natural Bridge Park – Natural Bridge, VA
• Shenandoah Caverns – Mount Jackson, VA
• Grand Caverns – Grottoes, VA
• Shelby Farms Park – Memphis, TN
• Appalachian Caverns – Blountville, TN
• Red Rock Canyon State Park – Hinton, OK
• Groom Cross – Groom, TX

Edit: Well, I guess as stated above, Rte 40 and 66 are recommended. TN would be a different route.
      04-25-2016, 10:37 PM   #17
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

To give you a perspective, I drove the exact same route you took and it costed me $900 one way in a span of 3 days. My trip was from Fredericksburg to 29 Palms (about 2 hours before San Diego). The way back was maybe $1100 as that took me 4 days since I took I-10 to see friends and family.

Hotels on average were about $90-150/night, and gas costed a good portion. I averaged 32mpg the whole way and still was roughly $600 total (both ways). Surprisingly there's no tolls other than Oklahoma, and I don't believe they were too bad.

If you plan on driving back I really would suggest $2k+ of a budget just to be on the safe side.
      04-25-2016, 10:44 PM   #18
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

On I40 just west of Texas is a town called Tucumcari. In that area, old RT 66 parallels I40 for 30 - 50 miles or so and you can hop off and on I40 to travel on parts of Old 66. That's a great way to get a taste of Old 66 and how it was just up and abandoned while not sacrificing interstate traveling speed.
      04-25-2016, 10:45 PM   #19
dougt.ah3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AH3 Msport; F150 XLT

If you do change your route to the North, to me the most beautiful drive is taking 70 west from Denver, picking up 15 south in Utah, cutting across the northern tip of Arizona then heading into Las Vegas. Instead of continuing on to LA, drive through Death Valley and either take 190 to Lone Pine and then take 395 south or pick up 178*at Panamint Springs and take it to the 395.
2022 K1600B
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 11:30 PM   #20
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

When you arrive in Flagstaff, Arizona you need to take a detour down 89a to Sedona Arizona. It's 30 miles drive. It's gorgeous and the road is amazing. You can thank me later
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 02:41 AM   #21
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Wyoming. Take a day and go nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
How would you know this? Did mommy catch you jerking off to some Big Foot porn ?
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 03:54 AM   #22
Lucky John
Out to Lunch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1965 Land Rover Series 2A

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoosh View Post
Great idea, thanks guys! About to pick up some camping gear. I think every other night at a hotel would be perfect, and save a lot of money. Unfortunately, as a currently broke grad school student, I have to maintain a budget (going out to San Deigo for a dream job). Max I can afford is $1500, but I can afford to lessen the days, increase time on the road per day.
Smoosh, if I am understanding you...This is a one way drive out after you graduate and you will then be living in San Diego? So you have landed the job in SD and have two weeks between the end of grad school and your first day? What part of the year are you doing this during? June? Weather could affect things.

If that is the case I would focus on seeing more of the Northern side of the US, like Chicago, The Dakotas, Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington, and then down the West Coast, Seattle, Mount Rainier, Portland, Crater Lake, San Fran, old 99 down the California Coast. Once you are living in SD you can spend a long weekend and head out to the Grand Canyon and AZ. You will be a reasonable drive from Vegas and a lot of the spots you are lining up. Just my two cents.
Appreciate 1