BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
PC Valkyrie
Very slow driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 & 135i & C55 AMG & 911 GT3

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
2005 C55 AMG  [0.00]
Advice for a part time track car

I would appreciate some advice from those who track their cars about my choice of rims/tires for next season.

Some brief background about my interest in tracking. In 2006, I started to participate in driving education lapping days in my C55 AMG. Since then, I've attended 4-5 track events each summer and I absolutely love it. I think I'm getting better too, as my laptimes are decreasing with more experience. In the spring of 2008, I acquired a 135i as a fun street and part time track car. It has performed above expectations with no hint of any overheating or significant brake fade. However, after just 3 track days, the stock front tires are toast (the left front is showing cords).

For next season, I'm looking to buy some light weight rims and stickier street tires for my part time tracking habit and for street use. I have no intention of making the 135i into a dedicated track car, as I use it as a daily driver now in the winter. I don't want to perform any fender rolling or modifications. However, I do want to be able to rotate my tires front to rear and vice versa to even out the tire wear so I'm looking for a "square" setup with the same rim/tire sizes front and rear. I want to avoid R-compounds for as long as possible, as I think I still have more learning I can do with street tires.

After reading many threads here, here is what I'm thinking of getting next season for all 4 corners:

17 x 8 OZ Ultraleggera (17.6lbs) or the newer even lighter Alleggerita HLT (both are 40mm offset)

235/40 R17 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R or Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

I'm choosing 235 tires because I understand that is the widest tire that will fit in the front without fender modifications. With this tire setup and the more aggressive offset (compared to stock), I anticipate better front end grip relative to the rear and possibly less understeer. And I'm choosing 17" rims because there seems to be far more 235/40 R17 tires than 235/35 R18 tires that fit on an 18" rim.

With the OZ rims, they require different lugbolts and a centering ring (which tirerack provides). Would the need for a centering ring be a negative thing for rims being used for heavy duty tracking? I avoid wheel spacers for this reason.

Am I missing anything in my logic and decisions here? Any other suggestions for light rims? With a 17" rim, there may be problems with a big brake kit in the future, but I don't think the brakes are the next I would change next anyways. If anything, I'm thinking camber plates and/or performance suspension as the next thing I would do after the tires/rims.

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any comments/advice about this.
      12-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
Alow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F36 430i GC

My part time track car is not the 1, but I think I can share some of my experience nevertheless. I track an MKiV R32. I attend about 10-12 events a year. Make of it what you will. :smile:

Quote:
For next season, I'm looking to buy some light weight rims and stickier street tires for my part time tracking habit and for street use. I have no intention of making the 135i into a dedicated track car, as I use it as a daily driver now in the winter. I don't want to perform any fender rolling or modifications. However, I do want to be able to rotate my tires front to rear and vice versa to even out the tire wear so I'm looking for a "square" setup with the same rim/tire sizes front and rear. I want to avoid R-compounds for as long as possible, as I think I still have more learning I can do with street tires.
I am exactly where you are. I have a set of lighter rims (SSR Type C RS) with "competition street tires". No fender rolling or anything like that. Square set, staying away from R-compounds as well. That all sounds like really sound logic to me!

Quote:
After reading many threads here, here is what I'm thinking of getting next season for all 4 corners:

17 x 8 OZ Ultraleggera (17.6lbs) or the newer even lighter Alleggerita HLT (both are 40mm offset)

235/40 R17 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R or Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
No experience with those rims so I won't comment. The weight sounds great tho! as far as tires, Also consider the Falken Azenis Rt-615. They are available in 235/40/17 and they are _outstanding_. Link: http://www.falkentire.com/xhtml/tire...egory=2&tire=2 They are "street competition tires", tread wear of 200. Non directional, so you can rotate them between sides as well as axles. They are affordable, great traction on the street dry/wet and very nice on the track. They have good traction and they are still communicative when they are about to let go at the track. I really really like them.

Quote:
And I'm choosing 17" rims because there seems to be far more 235/40 R17 tires than 235/35 R18 tires that fit on an 18" rim.
Agreed!

Quote:
With the OZ rims, they require different lugbolts and a centering ring (which tirerack provides). Would the need for a centering ring be a negative thing for rims being used for heavy duty tracking? I avoid wheel spacers for this reason.
My track wheels also use the centering rings. I also got them from tirerack. They recommneded I use metal centering rings instead of the plastic ones so they sent me those. No issues after 2 years of track use.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I have had a few track cars over the last 15 years (2 dedicated track cars and 1 that was still street legal) and I'll give you my 2cents...
Get some R compounds tires! They are made for the track and they are worth the money. Ideally go as hardcore as you can and put them on a set a rims and just use them at the track. I last had a set of Michelin Pilot DOT Race tires for my last track car). A track tire will make a big difference. I have driven on Cayuga and Mospor tracks. Cayuga is tough on tires...lots of tire wear. Mospor has some high speed corners. You will take some corner flat out in 3rd and 4th gear on Mospor. Trust me you want the best track tire on that car that you can get!
As far as car set up...can't help you there! My 1 series hasn't seen a track and I haven't tweaked it at all. There seems to be lots of good info on suspension set up on this sight so hopefully someone will point you in the right direction. Money spent on suspension goes a long ways on the track!
I say GO R COMPOUND BABY!:headbang:
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
ThunderRobo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Hey bud!

Have you considered Yokohama-Advin Nevos? I believe that was the tires Peter was rocking at the tracks, and they were insanely grippy.

Also...
I have some take-off R888s and RA1s (in the size you need) i bought from BimmerWorld if your interested in a set of Rs.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

D-Force makes some lightweight wheels for BMWs.

http://www.dforcewheels.com/

I have the 17x8.5" LTW5 wheels (16lbs) and run 235/40/17 Nitto NT-01 tires. No rubbing problems with the stock suspension. If you want an intermediate step between the RE-01 and Hoosier R6 then look at cross-tread r-comps like the Nitto NT-01 or Yoko R888.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRobo View Post
Hey bud!

Have you considered Yokohama-Advin Nevos? I believe that was the tires Peter was rocking at the tracks, and they were insanely grippy.

Also...
I have some take-off R888s and RA1s (in the size you need) i bought from BimmerWorld if your interested in a set of Rs.
It's Advan Neova. I ran them on my Evo, 255/40/18. There is a new version due out soon.

Read the link, track tested.
http://forums.evolutionm.net/service...ck-tested.html
Appreciate 0