BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
n54pete
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e82

Corbeau seats?

Anyone have any experience with corbeau seats in their 1er?
My leather is starting to wear like crap and I could use some better support at autox. not trying to drop a ton on recaros

thinking either the RRBs or RRXs
they have a bracket for e92 which I'm thinking will work for the e82 as well, I also want the heated option, just wondering if it was possible to wire the corbeau heater to the factory heater controls?

Also what do you guys do about the airbag sensor or whatnot, I know theres some module you can get for 300 or just live with it, any other options?

http://www.corbeau.com/products/recl...sportline_rrb/
http://www.corbeau.com/products/recl...sportline_rrx/
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Look good
Never had those but had corbeau before on my miata and quality very good. Seem a little big though and a lot of american car use those
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by n54pete View Post
Anyone have any experience with corbeau seats in their 1er?
My leather is starting to wear like crap and I could use some better support at autox. not trying to drop a ton on recaros

thinking either the RRBs or RRXs
they have a bracket for e92 which I'm thinking will work for the e82 as well, I also want the heated option, just wondering if it was possible to wire the corbeau heater to the factory heater controls?

Also what do you guys do about the airbag sensor or whatnot, I know theres some module you can get for 300 or just live with it, any other options?

http://www.corbeau.com/products/recl...sportline_rrb/
http://www.corbeau.com/products/recl...sportline_rrx/
No experience with Cobeau but I'm pretty sure you can buy an emulator off eBay for less than $50. But a more important question than airbags is how do you plan to run seat belts? Are you going to use the factory 3 point belts? If so what will you do abou the lap belt -- running it over the side bolsters will not hold you in place during a frontal impact.
      01-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
awt
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Red e61 & red F26

A cheap emulator won't work in the 1-series like in older cars, but you can add a line in the cars VO which disables them.

• A small roadtrip through Scandinavia: movie - pictures
• A small roadtrip in the norwegian fjords: movie
• A small trip to Nürburgring: movie - pictures
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
n54pete
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post
No experience with Cobeau but I'm pretty sure you can buy an emulator off eBay for less than $50. But a more important question than airbags is how do you plan to run seat belts? Are you going to use the factory 3 point belts? If so what will you do abou the lap belt -- running it over the side bolsters will not hold you in place during a frontal impact.
Factory 3 point for daily, on the outside you can unbolt the anchor, slip the belt loop off, run it thru the belt feed on the seat and re attach to anchor, not sure about the inside bit, ideas? I plan on running a 5 point camlock for autox

Might have to go with rrx, they won't have that problem
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by n54pete View Post
Factory 3 point for daily, on the outside you can unbolt the anchor, slip the belt loop off, run it thru the belt feed on the seat and re attach to anchor, not sure about the inside bit, ideas? I plan on running a 5 point camlock for autox

Might have to go with rrx, they won't have that problem
I don't think you can slip the belt the way you're thinking. The factory receptacle is 1) very rigid, doesn't flex much and 2) will sit very tall relative to your seat. When I used a 3 pt for everything, I used a seat belt extender to snake the receptacle through the side hole. I drove like this on street/track. See this post:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...3&postcount=33

Now that I've upgraded to a 6 point, I can't use a belt extender any longer since the side hole is occupied by the lap belts from the harness. So now I have no choice but to clip in the 3 point over the side bolster - it's not ideal but luckily I don't daily the car.

Regarding your first post about keeping the heating element I'd skip it. It's the price you pay to move to a fixed back seat but weight savings is just as important as lateral support. If you don't want to give up creature comforts, I would just keep the stock seats and use CG-lock.
      01-16-2014, 06:11 PM   #7
n54pete
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post
I don't think you can slip the belt the way you're thinking. The factory receptacle is 1) very rigid, doesn't flex much and 2) will sit very tall relative to your seat. When I used a 3 pt for everything, I used a seat belt extender to snake the receptacle through the side hole. I drove like this on street/track. See this post:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...3&postcount=33

Now that I've upgraded to a 6 point, I can't use a belt extender any longer since the side hole is occupied by the lap belts from the harness. So now I have no choice but to clip in the 3 point over the side bolster - it's not ideal but luckily I don't daily the car.

Regarding your first post about keeping the heating element I'd skip it. It's the price you pay to move to a fixed back seat but weight savings is just as important as lateral support. If you don't want to give up creature comforts, I would just keep the stock seats and use CG-lock.
You misunderstand, I was saying slip it for the door side not the receptacle side, I have no idea how to tackle the receptacle side.
Primary goal isn't for track purposes, these would just be replacement seats and not fixed back either, they're reclining buckets, like a cheaper alternative to the recaro sportster cs, the RRXs wouldn't even have any issues with the belt side bolster, they look similar to the sportster cs, the only reason I'm even consider these is because my leather is starting to show its age. I do autox so I'd like a bucket but as its a daily I'm not even considering a fixed back seat, the heating element is a big + for me as I daily this in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 04:09 AM   #8
mechavore884
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the fat mobile

I used to run these in my S14 they're not half bad really (especially for the price)...my only thing is mounting them to our cars :/
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #9
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechavore884 View Post
I used to run these in my S14 they're not half bad really (especially for the price)...my only thing is mounting them to our cars :/
The one thing I noticed is installing aftermarket seats in BMW's is WAY more expensive than other makes. The hardware alone can be half the cost of the seat whereas other car makes have cheaper and less # of hardware pieces that goes into.
      01-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #10
n54pete
Private First Class
Rep

corbeau offers a bracket with sliders for the e92 for $105 and claim nothing else is needed for install. I assume it should also fit our cars as all the brackets out there today fit the e82/90/92 are interchangeable, their reclining buckets are bottom mounts so that would be all thats needed, the factory 3 point is receptacle is supposed to bolt to the bracket, least thats what they said when I asked, highly considering these right now.
Appreciate 0