BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #1
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3

HMS + N55's + catless DP's

Hey all,

Looking to get a few things popped into the 1M next week, and was hoping for some feedback.

I'm swapping my Remus axle back out for a HMS, and then teaming it up with my existing N55 mids. I'm also having a Wagner Evo 2 IC and VTT inlets installed, teamed up with an MHD flash.

I was thinking of having VRSF catless DP's put in while the engine is dropped, but have heard varying levels of satisfaction with running catless DP's over the high flow 1M DP's. Is anyone running this exact setup and can provide feedback, or even a sound clip for me?

What I'm really wanting to do is open the power band up a little at the top end. It currently feels very flat above 6000rpm, and I'm not sure if it's the inlets, DP's or a combination of the two that will provide some more zing in this range without sacrificing mid range.

Thanks,

Dane
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
HMS?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 09:52 PM   #3
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
HMS?
https://www.hms-tuning.de/en/product...2-1er-m-coupe/

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 08:30 AM   #4
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

Nice collection of parts going in Dane!
You've heard my set-up of HMS rear and HMS mids with stock DPs. It's plenty loud for me with the valves open. Exhaust wise, I would leave it as stock DPs with the n55 mids or better yet, catless DPs with stock n54 mids. I think it would be too much noise and no tone going full catless with the HMS. But hey, the mids are an easy swap so try them both out.
Can't comment on the inlets, but the tune should definitely open the mid and top end. Have to say that I hardly use the top end, that beastly midrange is so effective

Have fun with the new sound.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 08:45 AM   #5
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
If you do not mind the smell go catless to maximize power, or cattted AR/Cobb/CPE DPs. The OEM e82M DPs are not really that "high flow" over the non n54M DPs...personally would step up to a quality brand of DPs, but that's just me. (welds, fitment exc)

I am running AR Cattless now, swapping to Akra DPs shortly. N55 mids and Akra exhaust. Sounds and flows well, the smell can be obnoxious at times...not a DD. Might add some 200 cell cats to the mids at some point.

Congrats on the HMS, that's a winner. Looking fwd to hearing clips
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 08:01 PM   #6
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piets94 View Post
Nice collection of parts going in Dane!
You've heard my set-up of HMS rear and HMS mids with stock DPs. It's plenty loud for me with the valves open. Exhaust wise, I would leave it as stock DPs with the n55 mids or better yet, catless DPs with stock n54 mids. I think it would be too much noise and no tone going full catless with the HMS. But hey, the mids are an easy swap so try them both out.
Can't comment on the inlets, but the tune should definitely open the mid and top end. Have to say that I hardly use the top end, that beastly midrange is so effective

Have fun with the new sound.
Thanks Pete, should make it even more of a weapon than it is now!

I've really been researching and tossing up what to do...sometimes my head says don't go catless DP's due to the drawbacks of smell and excess noise, but the value side of my noggin says put them in while the labour is essentially free given the VTT inlets are already going in! I do like value...

I think you may be right. I might go the catless dp's, then if it's a little obnoxious even with the flaps closed I might pop my stock mids back in and sell the N55's. Seems like the best way to go from a labour point of view, and I could potentially be very happy with the full catless system.

You inspired me to get the HMS mate, your car sounds bloody brilliant! I should blame you for this bill...you owe me a beer haha :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done View Post
If you do not mind the smell go catless to maximize power, or cattted AR/Cobb/CPE DPs. The OEM e82M DPs are not really that "high flow" over the non n54M DPs...personally would step up to a quality brand of DPs, but that's just me. (welds, fitment exc)

I am running AR Cattless now, swapping to Akra DPs shortly. N55 mids and Akra exhaust. Sounds and flows well, the smell can be obnoxious at times...not a DD. Might add some 200 cell cats to the mids at some point.

Congrats on the HMS, that's a winner. Looking fwd to hearing clips
Thanks mate, appreciate the response.

The issue we face here from what I'm told is that a number of the aftermarket DP's won;t fir properly in our RHD cars. The workshop I use utilise VRSF, so I'd rather they take responsibility for fitment instead of me buying something that causes them problems. I was looking at Wagner, but if they're happy with VRSF then I think I might let them go for it, though I'll inspect them prior to installation as I did for my VRSF charge pipe.

Why the change from AR to Akra? The Akra's are some of the nicest DP's I've ever seen for any car, absolutely amazing quality but seriously pricey. Are you unhappy with the AR, or just looking to maximise power to the nth degree?

Thanks for the congrats, pretty happy with my purchase! Love the noise the HMS makes. I'll be sure to post up some clips!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #7
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Not sure about the fitment on RHD, assuming it is an even tighter fit then LHD. In that case I would take the ARs of the list. Stick w/ what you and your shop are comfortable with.

I have had this set of Akra DPs forever, just never put them on, the only advantage I see is the fitment, and the fact they are ceramic coated... Akra mirrors the stock DPs w/ the proper brackets. Fitment is supposed to be a 10; I've had 3 sets of ARs on different cars and I'd give them about a 9 on fitment, granted they are 3" vs the OEM and Akra 2.5". The catted ARs were the Most challenging to install. Performance wise the ARs might be slightly better, blame my OCD for the change :
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 09:37 PM   #8
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done View Post
Not sure about the fitment on RHD, assuming it is an even tighter fit then LHD. In that case I would take the ARs of the list. Stick w/ what you and your shop are comfortable with.

I have had this set of Akra DPs forever, just never put them on, the only advantage I see is the fitment, and the fact they are ceramic coated... Akra mirrors the stock DPs w/ the proper brackets. Fitment is supposed to be a 10; I've had 3 sets of ARs on different cars and I'd give them about a 9 on fitment, granted they are 3" vs the OEM and Akra 2.5". The catted ARs were the Most challenging to install. Performance wise the ARs might be slightly better, blame my OCD for the change :
I'm sure the Akra fit will be absolutely spot on. You get what you pay for!

If you've got them there then you may as well give them a go. Be sure to pop up your results if you do
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 10:52 PM   #9
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So there was a bit f confusion, and the workshop had run out of DP's. Being impatient and in two minds about the DP's anyway, I decided to get the VTT inlets put on along with the HMS axle-back and Wagner IC.

Well, the result is that I'm SUPER happy with the combo! It's just the right level of noise, has a beautiful note, and the tone it takes on as you give it the beans is just mega. So glad I went this way.

Also had a custom Wedge tune uploaded last night, car absolutely rips now. Wheelspin on demand
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 06:00 AM   #10
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

We need video Dane, otherwise it didn't happen
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #11
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep