BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

CP-E catback exhaust fitment issues?

Any of you all who have installed the CP-E exhaust themselves experienced fitment issues, specifically the rear underbracing?

I was putting mine on (non resonated version) over the weekend and had a BITCH of a time getting it to clear. I haven't had time to call CP-E directly, but man I have tried just about everything (loosening/tightening bolts from front to rear, rear to front, !!middle!!, etc). Only way I could get everything to clear ok was to tighten from rear to front. But then the mid pipes wouldn't bolt up to the downpipes (positioning would cause the flanges to not meet up flat no matter how much I torqued the bolts).

Eventually only way I could fix the issue was by putting washers underneath the brace to space it out further...and even then I hear an occasional thump (when the exhaust is cold) over large bumps. When the exhaust is fully warmed up, it clears enough to where I don't hear it anymore (from thermal expansion I suppose).

To be honest it's all been giving me a big headache. Tips? Suggestions? I'll try to call CP-E tomorrow as well.

Last edited by denial; 05-03-2009 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Let us know if you find out anything
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
Let us know if you find out anything
I PM'd some others on the board and this is what I've gotten:

One person did have the same trouble as I did with regard to the lower underbracing. The solution was to loosen the downpipes and rotate them every so slightly --> this in return will raise the mid pipes allowing it to clear the underbracing without difficulty.

I'm not sure if this applies to ALL installs of the CP-E exhaust, but I'm assuming it doesn't as the issue hasn't come up on the boards otherwise (to my knowledge). Perhaps it's an issue of QC as rotating the downpipes is definately not listed as a "tip" in provided instructions. I haven't gotten around to given CP-E an call either.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I think you should call CP-E and let them know the issue and hear what they are going to say.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 04:40 PM   #5
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
I think you should call CP-E and let them know the issue and hear what they are going to say.
+1

If you've had the time to start this thread and PM others on the board you really should take the time to give CP-E a call. They are the best equipt to support you, so I really don't understand why you wouldn't check with them first instead of asking people on this forum to guess at a solution.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerlucas View Post
+1

If you've had the time to start this thread and PM others on the board you really should take the time to give CP-E a call. They are the best equipt to support you, so I really don't understand why you wouldn't check with them first instead of asking people on this forum to guess at a solution.
Dlucas, I work 80+ hours a week. This was over the weekend. I get off well after they close (usually). I'll call them eventually, but then again I've found the solution already as well thanks to others on this board

Also, judging by how the pipes line up, rotating the downpipes is not a guess. In my case, it's the only solution.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
2fast4utoo!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

I have the same issue, now I have to wait until Monday for the Fix . I agreed with you completely...I have too much stuff going on with daily routine to call the company for something that should be portrait on the install instructions.

So this sucks!!! BIG TIME!!!!

Also I put the active intercooler WAIT FOR MY REVIEW....

Quote:
Originally Posted by denial View Post
Any of you all who have installed the CP-E exhaust themselves experienced fitment issues, specifically the rear underbracing?

I was putting mine on (non resonated version) over the weekend and had a BITCH of a time getting it to clear. I haven't had time to call CP-E directly, but man I have tried just about everything (loosening/tightening bolts from front to rear, rear to front, !!middle!!, etc). Only way I could get everything to clear ok was to tighten from rear to front. But then the mid pipes wouldn't bolt up to the downpipes (positioning would cause the flanges to not meet up flat no matter how much I torqued the bolts).

Eventually only way I could fix the issue was by putting washers underneath the brace to space it out further...and even then I hear an occasional thump (when the exhaust is cold) over large bumps. When the exhaust is fully warmed up, it clears enough to where I don't hear it anymore (from thermal expansion I suppose).

To be honest it's all been giving me a big headache. Tips? Suggestions? I'll try to call CP-E tomorrow as well.

And for what it's worth, I do have a manual, and this exhaust DRONES very loudly between 2-2.5k (which is highway cruising in 6th). I highly recommend resonators to offset this effect.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Guys, don't worry, rotating the downpipes ever-so-slightly WILL fix this. Make sure to check which one is rattling before you loosen though - you don't want to create more work for yourself than what's necessary.

If you jack up the car and look from the back to the front, you'll be able to easily determine which pipe is rubbing AND see where it's slightly not level. Both midpipes should be nearly level towards the front of the car and generally the one that's cocked a bit will cause the issue.

Good luck on getting this corrected quickly. It's well-worth the fix, I assure you!
Appreciate 0