BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #3345
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worra View Post
http://s341.photobucket.com/user/jbb...8af_h.jpg.html

Ok those....are officially my next wheels. I decided I wasn't interested in just some cheap aftermarket wheels that "fit".

Let me get through my wedding and maybe those will be my gift to myself.
Can't you register for those? Anyone ever registered at tirerack or ECS?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #3346
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8
Quote:

Ok those....are officially my next wheels. I decided I wasn't interested in just some cheap aftermarket wheels that "fit".

Can't you register for those? Anyone ever registered at tirerack or ECS?
Hahaha!

I don't think the CCW site has it's own registry. Everything is custom order.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #3347
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:

I love CCW's, if I could afford them they'd be on my car as well
      06-23-2014, 10:10 PM   #3348
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

BMW Performance Suspension Ordered!

Finally went ahead and just placed my order for the BMW Performance Suspension. =) Hope to get it installed at HP Autowerks in the next couple of weeks as it takes a few days to arrive in stock, plus I have to get an actual working wheel lock key in the interim so my wheels can be taken off. Then it's drive the car for a week or so to let the performance (yellow!) springs fully settle and then I shall get an alignment at the dealer I think along with my oil change ~ 6500 miles. Did the post break in oil change around 1475 miles so I figure 5000 is a perfect interval since I get 1 per year on their dime.

I'll try to take pictures and detail certain things if anyone has any requests for ride height measurements, etc. though I have 215/245 stock size PSS. I'll be curious to see how much lower it sits and also if I see the springs settling and it getting a lil lower with each passing day. Never messed with a suspension in all my life, so this will be a first and an interesting experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #3349
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Finally went ahead and just placed my order for the BMW Performance Suspension. =)
Woo hoo! Can't wait to hear all about it. Congrats.

2013 Jet Black 135is | 6MT | Coupe | #381/586

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:37 PM   #3350
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen2001 View Post
Woo hoo! Can't wait to hear all about it. Congrats.

Can't let you be the only IS owner with yellow performance parts on your car!

Oh, and I am NOT doing the m3 subframe bushings. I discussed it with Harold at HP Autowerks and he recommended against it in my situation, especially as just a daily driver that doesn't get pushed too hard, and going with the BMW Performance suspension. So, might use that money towards oh I dunno, dinan stage 2? I'm likely going to have the alignment and oil change done at the local Dinan-authorized BMW dealer to discuss it with them in more detail.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #3351
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:

Oh, and I am NOT doing the m3 subframe bushings. I discussed it with Harold at HP Autowerks and he recommended against it in my situation, especially as just a daily driver that doesn't get pushed too hard, and going with the BMW Performance suspension. So, might use that money towards oh I dunno, dinan stage 2? I'm likely going to have the alignment and oil change done at the local Dinan-authorized BMW dealer to discuss it with them in more detail.
Pull out the pins and dial in some negative camber!

Quote:

Consider doing subframe inserts, 70% benefit of m3 bushings at fraction of cost. And if you get the black ones like me, everything looks factory stock!
      06-23-2014, 11:10 PM   #3352
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Consider doing subframe inserts, 70% benefit of m3 bushings at fraction of cost. And if you get the black ones like me, everything looks factory stock!
I am most likely going to go the inserts route after the feedback from you and RickMSport. I am going to drive it with the performance suspension for a bit first, see what I think and truly learn how that feels and behaves though first before doing it. The one good thing about piecemealing it this way is that if I had done the PS and the m3 subframe bushings simultaneously, it might be hard to tell with certain aspects which one was really contributing to the benefit I was feeling, or perhaps which was to blame for any negative things. So, I imagine in a month or two of driving with the PS, I'll have a local shop do the black (colored) whiteline inserts like you guys or perhaps a friend of mine who has the tools and know how, as sadly I'm personally too crippled to do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #3353
motorchimp
I have Brimbo's
Rep
Drives: 135is, X3

Quote:
I am most likely going to go the inserts route after the feedback from you and RickMSport. I am going to drive it with the performance suspension for a bit first, see what I think and truly learn how that feels and behaves though first before doing it. The one good thing about piecemealing it this way is that if I had done the PS and the m3 subframe bushings simultaneously, it might be hard to tell with certain aspects which one was really contributing to the benefit I was feeling, or perhaps which was to blame for any negative things. So, I imagine in a month or two of driving with the PS, I'll have a local shop do the black (colored) whiteline inserts like you guys or perhaps a friend of mine who has the tools and know how, as sadly I'm personally too crippled to do it myself.
Glad to see you finally pulled the trigger!!!! Can't wait to see pics

Just say it, it was that hooligan white 1M smoking the M4 video that pushed you!
      06-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #3354
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorchimp View Post
Glad to see you finally pulled the trigger!!!! Can't wait to see pics

Just say it, it was that hooligan white 1M smoking the M4 video that pushed you!
Was not! More like driving a minivan and ford focus for 11 days, plus a test drive of that M235i. =P

I've also gotten sparkling reviews from about 5 different people who got the performance suspension and they rave about it.

I also found the perfect stretch of road on my way to work to test out the suspension once I get it, too. Driving to work this morning, in this one stretch of surface streets, going about 40-45, it was so bouncy, I felt like I was about to get air or go through the roof. Should be interesting to see how that same lane and speed there feels with the performance suspension on. Total damage of suspension so far - $1237.90 in parts. Looks like it'll be installed first week in July. Exciting!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #3355
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Finally went ahead and just placed my order for the BMW Performance Suspension. =) Hope to get it installed at HP Autowerks in the next couple of weeks as it takes a few days to arrive in stock, plus I have to get an actual working wheel lock key in the interim so my wheels can be taken off. Then it's drive the car for a week or so to let the performance (yellow!) springs fully settle and then I shall get an alignment at the dealer I think along with my oil change ~ 6500 miles. Did the post break in oil change around 1475 miles so I figure 5000 is a perfect interval since I get 1 per year on their dime.

I'll try to take pictures and detail certain things if anyone has any requests for ride height measurements, etc. though I have 215/245 stock size PSS. I'll be curious to see how much lower it sits and also if I see the springs settling and it getting a lil lower with each passing day. Never messed with a suspension in all my life, so this will be a first and an interesting experience.
Now you've gone and done it... I'm predicting you will be a very happy customer in both the performance and appearance departments! So with your stock M sport suspension, you should be netting about a 10cm drop? Can't wait for you to get this installed so we can hear your driving impressions! I may need to elevate this upgrade to a higher priority on my wish list...

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #3356
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMsport View Post
Now you've gone and done it... I'm predicting you will be a very happy customer in both the performance and appearance departments! So with your stock M sport suspension, you should be netting about a 10cm drop? Can't wait for you to get this installed so we can hear your driving impressions! I may need to elevate this upgrade to a higher priority on my wish list...
Yep, and off to the dealer in about 10 minutes to see if they can finally get me a WORKING wheel lock key since it's unsafe to drive around like this and I need to get that done before the suspension work.

It's a 10mm drop, so about 0.4 inches. I'll try to take pics before and after with a tape measure, etc. to show the wheel gap, distance from the ground, things of that nature so everyone knows.

Here's what one member wrote when I asked him about his performance suspension setup with the PSS tires:

"I am not easy to please when it comes to ride/handling/steering, but I have zero regrets about my chosen setup. It's simply amazing how well my car handles considering how well it rides over most pavement. The performance/livability balance is basically perfect at this point. I credit the progressive nature of the suspension mixed with the additional compliance of the non-runflat tires. My car is able to soak up small to medium pavement bumps with ease, and when I really lean into it, everything tightens up extremely quickly with no delay or slop like I had in my 335i. My wife's "luxury" 328i rides far more poorly than mine and it still wallows in body roll and other poor body control characteristics. There's not a single aspect of her car's ride or handling which beats mine -- it's not even close."
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #3357
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

The Only 2 Series IEDEI Likes

Well, I finally was able to find a 2 series car that IEDEI likes:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #3358
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
that's not even crashed....looks stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #3359
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
that's not even crashed....looks stock.
The wheels are certainly an improvement.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #3360
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A little Einzett Cockpit Premium and she'll be as good as new.

Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #3361
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMsport View Post
A little Einzett Cockpit Premium and she'll be as good as new.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #3362
motorchimp
I have Brimbo's
Rep
Drives: 135is, X3

Quote:
The wheels are certainly an improvement.
I like the new yellow and black BMW-style \\\M badging.
      06-26-2014, 02:12 PM   #3363
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post

LOL! Am I the only one who likes this stuff?! I think it smells fine. You guys must have all received a bad batch.
2013 Jet Black 135is | 6MT | Coupe | #381/586

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #3364
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
LOL! Am I the only one who likes this stuff?! I think it smells fine. You guys must have all received a bad batch.
I like the chemical and it does a great job, the smell just kinda bothered me. I love the smell of the Auto Finesse Spritz, but I don't think it does quite as good of a job though as the cockpit premium. Einszett also makes a slightly stronger version that cleans a little more and may have some additional uses, which is what was originally recommended to me by detailersdomain to use on the leatherette. Not sure what that smells like, but looks like you can use it on the tires, too and it recommends it for under the hood. Hmm.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/1Z-ei...ner_p_106.html

As part of my auto finesse package though I got their equivalent slightly stronger cleaner too, which I highly recommend and works well on the floormats too, both for any lil spots of dirt, and just a few sprays and wipes of a microfiber towel, and suddenly they went from dull and dingy to looking brand spanking new.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #3365
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
puke lovers!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 08:46 PM   #3366
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, I swear by this stuff. I'm just giving IEDEI a good-natured ribbing!

Doesn't smell bad at all... smells to me just like lemon Pledge, and it leaves no lingering odor in the cabin. It isn't a super strong chemical-based cleaner... probably mostly good for keeping a new car looking new.

Appreciate 0