BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
Blue1ers
Rep
Drives: 2009 Montego Blue 128i 6MT

Auto or Manual for 128i? Express your opinion

I am considering getting a 128i. And I am debating between Auto and Manual. I drove manual for like 12 years, I was like maybe is time to let my left leg a rest for once.

However, when I read the spec, 0-100km (6.4 Manual) / (7.0 Auto).
That is a 10% drop in performance, does it really make that much of a difference?
For the 1ers here, what do you prefer/recommend? From your experience, what is the Pro/Con between Auto and Manual?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 02:24 AM   #2
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I've never driven a 128i but I'm aware that the auto is considerably slower. If you're used to driving a manual I would stick with it you'll love the extra performance and you'll save some cash too.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

I think manual is amazing on 128i, I am enjoying every shift. You run thru gears pretty quickly
      07-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
Ashtangi
Private
Rep
Drives: 13 X3 35i

Agree with what's already been said.

I can't really imagine the 128i with an automatic. Most of the fun of this car is working through the gears - as many of the professional reviews have mentioned, the E82 gearbox is considered one of the best ever produced by BMW.
      07-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue1ers View Post
I am considering getting a 128i. And I am debating between Auto and Manual. I drove manual for like 12 years, I was like maybe is time to let my left leg a rest for once.

However, when I read the spec, 0-100km (6.4 Manual) / (7.0 Auto).
That is a 10% drop in performance, does it really make that much of a difference?
For the 1ers here, what do you prefer/recommend? From your experience, what is the Pro/Con between Auto and Manual?
Hi, I would ask yourself how much performance you need and will it be worth it for you to go back behind the stick. Will this be your only car/daily driver? When you got your first automatic after 12 years were you glad to give your foot a break? How long will you keep the car? Sometimes if you tried getting out of something and never looked back it'd be like going back to an old girlfriend. I say test drive both auto and stick and find out!

But BMW's specs are a bit on the conservative side. 0-100km is slightly faster than 7.0sec in the coupe. I drove one of the first E90 325i's in an automatic in 2006 rated at 215 HP, 184 TQ I believe which makes the car heavier and less powerful than the 128i at 230HP and 200TQ. Let me tell you around the city I thought that the E90 car was more than fast enough. Merging in traffic on the highway no problem. Passing on the highway takes a little more patience but is still no slouch.

I would based my decision on what experience I wanted out of driving the car every day, not how much closer I'd be to 100km in .6 of a second or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

Ha that is easy! Manual all the way. You are much more "part" of the car than just sitting letting a machine shift for you. That is why I think BMW is much better than say Mercedes as none of their cars have manuals, except for their lowly lowest c class. Read a car any enthutiast mag like Car and Driver and they will tell you hands down manual is the way to go. Much more fun and engaging than a boring auto.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
1HungryMan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtangi View Post
Agree with what's already been said.

I can't really imagine the 128i with an automatic. Most of the fun of this car is working through the gears - as many of the professional reviews have mentioned, the E82 gearbox is considered one of the best ever produced by BMW.
Trust me, the auto is still lots of fun to drive
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

1HungryMan is right, I too have a 128i and it's a auto, I also got the tiptronic as well, flappy paddles are fun to use once in a while. I find that with the auto, the car becomes a more "obdient". What I mean is that whenever I'm drive, I'm always shifrting with the stick, granted I don't use my left leg but I still shift on my own and whenever I want. When I'm parking or in very heavy traffic, I go with auto. The paddles is just for fun and it really is from time to time, shifts faster :P

Thats my take on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
Ashtangi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HungryMan View Post
Trust me, the auto is still lots of fun to drive
Definitely, I'm sure it is.

At the end of the day it's a personal decision. I'd suggest that the poster just test drive both the auto and the manual. I did. And I felt far more connected to the manual - the auto just sort of bored me, and like someone else said, to me personally it sort of defeated the purpose of a BMW - "the ultimate driving machine". If the computer is shifting for you, a large part of the "driving" is out of your control.

But everyone is different and everyone has different priorities. To me, this was my "fun" car - not entirely practical, but something to just really enjoy for a few years before I'm forced to drive something much larger.
      07-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #10
Blue1ers
Rep

Thanks everyone for the valuable feedback. Both parties brought up very good points...

I have test drove the Auto last week, and is true, I don't feel the car is in any lack of power. I will be using this as my primary daily car, and my only concerns was those time when you stuck in traffics... But given all the good things you all mentioned, I will definitely ask to test a manual before making my decision.

I will keep you all posted Hopfully they will have the car I want in the end.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 10:56 PM   #11
e82vette
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

I would get 135 tho...
boost HP/TQ, different front bumper, diffuser at rear, standard xenon angel eye.....
worth the price...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 12:33 AM   #12
KVMan50
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jet Black BMW 128i

The Steptronic tranny is excellent...

I have the Steptronic auto in my 128i and I love it. The last 10 years were all manual tranmission cars, Jetta, Mazda Protege 5, Mazda 3 and I use the Steptronic all the time. No clutch, but I am doing the shifting. My wife drives in D most of the time, I never do, It is always in DS and I always shift it manually. The car goes plenty fast enough for the street. The paddle shifters work very well as does the shift lever. I have driven a manual 128i and it was excellent, but the auto is damn good also. When we bought the car, there were only 2 in stock and both auto, so I chose the black one with the paddles. We don't regret it at all. My 2 cents worth...
Dave
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e82vette View Post
I would get 135 tho...
boost HP/TQ, different front bumper, diffuser at rear, standard xenon angel eye.....
worth the price...
Yes, but he's asking about the 128. Not to be a jerk but it can get a bit exhausting when people are discussing the 128 and then someone jumps in and says "GO GET THE 135 FOR A BIT MORE MONEY." If he's asking about the 128, it's because he wants a 128.

Nothing personal, let's just stay on topic here
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #14
Blue1ers
Rep

Thanks again for everyone inputs. I test drive both manual and auto, in terms of performance, I can’t really tell there is any difference to be honest.

My 2 cents from my experience…
Manual seem to give me more control and adds more feel to the car on acceleration in each gears. (maybe is just because I am so use to driving manual)

Auto gives me a comfort ride and you don’t have to worry about changing gear when you got stuck in traffics (isn’t it always the case in GTA). The steptronic is pretty responsive for upshifting but the downshifting I found is kind of hard to control.

There is no doubt both are very fun to drive, and the only deciding factor for me is between control vs comfort. At the end, I have decided to go with manual simply because I am too cheap to spend $1600+tax to let my left leg slack off.

I have placed my order for my 128i yesterday (Montego Blue + Premium Package), but it has to be order so I won’t get it until end of Sept. I am excited. Really looking forward for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #15
Blue1ers
Rep

Thanks again for everyone inputs. I test drive both manual and auto, in terms of performance, I can’t really tell there is any difference to be honest.

My 2 cents from my experience…
Manual seem to give me more control and adds more feel to the car on acceleration in each gears. (maybe is just because I am so use to driving manual)

Auto gives me a comfort ride and you don’t have to worry about changing gear when you got stuck in traffics (isn’t it always the case in GTA). The steptronic is pretty responsive for upshifting but the downshifting I found is kind of hard to control.

There is no doubt both are very fun to drive, and the only deciding factor for me is between control vs comfort. At the end, I have decided to go with manual simply because I am too cheap to spend $1600+tax to let my left leg slack off.

I have placed my order for my 128i yesterday (Montego Blue + Premium Package), but it has to be order so I won’t get it until end of Sept. I am excited. Really looking forward for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #16
dragon1761
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14

i would have gone auto like you said it feels the same if u were to resell peep prefer auto if they want manual they would go 135 the 128 i feel is a fun daily car that saves some gas driving to work like dodging work time traffic vs 135which is a wkend car to really enjoy
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #17
Ashtangi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue1ers View Post
Congrats man, you're really going to enjoy it. And don't worry about driving in traffic - I drive everyday from downtown Toronto to Mississauga on the Gardiner and 427, and it's no problem.

On my old Eagle Talon circa 1992, driving in traffic was a pain - but the clutch on the 1-series makes driving in traffic almost effortless. On my previous car, you couldn't really drive for extended periods in first gear, as it'd lurch forward and just generally be unhappy - but the 128i is more than willing to just chug along in first gear if you're going really slow.
      07-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #18
e82vette
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraking View Post
Yes, but he's asking about the 128. Not to be a jerk but it can get a bit exhausting when people are discussing the 128 and then someone jumps in and says "GO GET THE 135 FOR A BIT MORE MONEY." If he's asking about the 128, it's because he wants a 128.

Nothing personal, let's just stay on topic here
I know what you mean.. I totally agree w/ you..
since I had got a 128i manual myself, I gave him a suggestion...
I really didnt care extra 70HP, so I made myself commit to buy a 128i....
but now... I wish I had got extra power and diffusal on the bumper as well....

its just a recommendation..... manual 128i is still a 128i....
and congrat on your purchase of 128i!! sport package is worth it !!! did you get it?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #19
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Blue1, did you by chance pick up the sports package as well??? The sports seats with lumbar support and sexy new rims are worth every penny!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 12:42 AM   #20
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
I love the sport package on my 128. If you didn't get it, get it. There's no lumbar support, it's lateral support, but the seats are pretty comfy anyway. I've been on 2+ hour drives already and didn't have any aches getting out. And my girlfriend enjoys adjusting her seat 10 different ways too

e82vette, it's all good. I actually agree with you, I wish I had picked up a 135, but I'm still REALLY happy with my choice, the 128 is no slacker when it comes to a daily drive. I figure when my lease is up in 3 years I can start looking at something a bit more powerful
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 01:00 AM   #21
e82vette
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraking View Post
I love the sport package on my 128. If you didn't get it, get it. There's no lumbar support, it's lateral support, but the seats are pretty comfy anyway. I've been on 2+ hour drives already and didn't have any aches getting out. And my girlfriend enjoys adjusting her seat 10 different ways too

e82vette, it's all good. I actually agree with you, I wish I had picked up a 135, but I'm still REALLY happy with my choice, the 128 is no slacker when it comes to a daily drive. I figure when my lease is up in 3 years I can start looking at something a bit more powerful
at first when I test drove my 128i...it was real blast..... I am not gonna lie..
but now it feels slow..... I am just getting used to it maybe....
still its a nice car after all tho
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 01:44 AM   #22
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Isn't "lumbar" the technical term for it. The seats are adjustable to the sides of your torso/lower back. Well to me at lease it supports both. All depends on the person's height i suppose.
Appreciate 0