BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #23
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Got across these pictures again kin,dly posted by forum fellow @Strongbark.

Say no more.

07-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #24
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Say no more.

ha that's great!! pretty much sums up how i feel about the 1M
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 08:26 PM   #25
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
ha that's great!! pretty much sums up how i feel about the 1M
Only you're tall enough to see over the wheel and old enough to drive it! =P

I've heard of having mirrors installed above beds, but now you'll have to have one installed on your garage floor.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #26
JeffyD
Destroy All Monsters
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 EB M Coupe, '11 M Coupe

I was just in that child's position while I got up close and personal with my first M1 encounter. Awed, which is a radical feeling that left me envious of children... Until I realized that they don't get to drive them, or anything, until they lose their charm after morphing into jaded teens. But, it's good to see a new batch of car nuts gestating so that the next generation of silent sports cars can be explained to us.

As far as exhaust sound goes, I really do enjoy the 'is on startup and under load - an N55 with a BMWP poopchute is a great instrument. But I don't like having to deal with it daily. After 7k miles in... 3ish? months, I cringed whenever I started it up in the morning, or decided not to head up a gear while sprinting through an intersection. Not that it sounded badly by any stretch of the imagination. It just was too loud to be practical for my needs. Turning it on and off would be a double edge... It'd solve the issue of not being an annoyance when unwanted, but if it can be toggled, I wouldn't see the point in switching. That's just my neurotic issues, though.

The 1M's, on the other hand, sounds great to my ears. It has depth, range, and drama to enjoy, but without feeling like it might have TOO much enthusiasm for the given occasion.
Plus, in the cabin, I believe the 1M lost some sound deadening along the way, because the exhaust has a lot more impact, to me, than the 'is did. The 'is did have more volume. To each his own, but I kind of prefer the 1M's approach somewhat more. I will say, to be completely transparent, that I will miss getting to make people think "oh no, da loudness." But I am a poser, so that's not worth much. Wait, where is my badge counter?! I need to count the M-ocity.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #27
damian1M
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 Protonic Red Edition

I've had my 1M over a month now and get some interesting glances and comments from other people. These range from a driver in a F-Type S who after I came by him in traffic and his jaw dropped decided to press his exhaust button and popped and crackled whilst driving erratically whilst trying to show me the performance envelope of his F-Type (I went past him at 150 a little later ) to neighbours asking about what 'it' is, they know it's a 1-series but it's nothing like the normal 1-series!

I've had M3s in the past that attracted attention but only in their first few months of release but I'm finding the 1M gets a similar reaction that my old GT3 had which isn't a bad thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 08:53 AM   #28
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis

Say no more.

Ah that brings back memories and now I officially miss my 1M. Thanks!
Appreciate 0