BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #23
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
Poor pad selection? They take any hawk/ferodo etc. that's the only thing that appeals to me

Pulsating brakes? That's something that didn't come up on google
You talking about Rotora? I ran them, I know what the selection is like and no they will not take any hawk or ferodo (FC-6), unless they've changed design in the last couple of years. Same is true for the rotor rings. I also know that they vibrate. Before I bought them a i was warned by a local tuner (Mach 5) that they are known to vibrate/pulsate. Sure enough 10K miles in and it happened to me.

Also, their poor (none existent) customer service is legendary.

You can do whatever you want, go cheap on BBK, it's your dime. But don't say you weren't warned.
No, the taiwanese ones

So rotora is oe pads only?
Blech
They also seem to only do 355mm rear as well, which is also strange

So rotora's a no go for having terrible rotors and a limited selection of pads?
Sad, the price was right..

So far out of the expensive kits, it'd be either stoptech or AP winning, and nashin leading the bottom end

Brembos are just way too expensive, paying too much for the name

I don't want to go cheap on brakes, they ARE the second most important part of your car (after tyres ) for safety.. but $4k landed for fronts, and not much less for the rear... yeah i'm going to try to minimize the damage here, i really REALLY don't want to pay that much for something GOOD. i don't need a kit that will win races... just occasional track day abuse and daily (often aggressive) driving
... as well as being reliable enough to save my life, other peoples lives and my car.. and not fail and cost more money down the track.

another one i've discovered: forge makes BBK's (same as forge DV's), rave reviews from the VW golf community, going to research more later as i believe they're VERY affordable 6pot 356mm's with every pad aailable.... further googling and forge BBK are more than likely a china/taiwan product, but still apparently decent. hmh.. not sure what other products share the calipers, not ksport/nashin.. though they Look VERY similar to ksport, but not 100% from pics i've found

D2 racing/ksport are the closest in visual design, but the standing-out logo part on the forge kit is different, and the bolts are beefier.. Looks nothing like rotora or xyz..

Ed: i sent an email to forge asking about their bbk

I got

Quote:
Hi Brendan
Thanks for the e mail
I can confirm that the Forge brake kit is designed and manufactured in the UK on our CNC machines
We have had this product for around 3 years

Unfortunately there are a number of Chinese companies who are copying our diverter valves , blow off valves , silicon hoses kits intercoolers and now brake kits

There is not much we can do other then try to change designs and innovate different features
Rest assure you will be getting a Forge product with a Forge warranty

Best Regards
Peter Miles
Forge Motorsport
Managing Director

Last edited by flinchy; 10-21-2012 at 11:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #24
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
So far out of the expensive kits, it'd be either stoptech or AP winning, and nashin leading the bottom end

I've run a AP Racing BBK and a Brembo BBK on seperate cars, and I'd choose AP over Brembo everytime.

Only 'named' brand I'd consider other than AP Racing would be Alcon.
      10-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #25
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam
Quote:

I've run a AP Racing BBK and a Brembo BBK on seperate cars, and I'd choose AP over Brembo everytime.

The funny thing is that ap racing is owne by brembo, most results i can google say the same though

I dont think alcon has a kit available
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #26
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam
Quote:

The funny thing is that ap racing is owne by brembo, most results i can google say the same though

I dont think alcon has a kit available
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #27
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
budget BBK's:
RB 135i caliper rebuild & braket for larger rotor
RB 335i Caliper upgrade & larger rotor
BMW F20/F30 M sport or BMWP brake system for the front only

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #28
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta
budget BBK's:
RB 135i caliper rebuild & braket for larger rotor
RB 335i Caliper upgrade & larger rotor
BMW F20/F30 M sport or BMWP brake system for the front only
Rb's rotor only on the bmwp stuff isn't cheap,

Bmwp front and rear $2500, rb rebuild $200, rb rotors $1200

Yeah that's proper bbk price..

Rb caliper/bbk setup looks like it could be had for $2500ish-2700, but there'd be no matching rear kit

Even bmwp front only + rb rotors + rebuild kit comes in dangerously close to proper (stoptech etc) bbk price.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #29
TonyL128
BMW Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i coupe

Racing Brake BBK

Racing Brake has a group buy list for their BBK conversion using the standard 135i calipers. With their piston upgrade kit, Hawk track pads, you will get 95% or better performance of other BBK upgrade kits, at 1/3 the price! The shipping will also be cheaper to Australia. Here is the link:

http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?p=4244#post4244
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #30
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL128
Racing Brake has a group buy list for their BBK conversion using the standard 135i calipers. With their piston upgrade kit, Hawk track pads, you will get 95% or better performance of other BBK upgrade kits, at 1/3 the price! The shipping will also be cheaper to Australia. Here is the link:

http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?p=4244#post4244
I drive a 130i not a 135i

I would need 135i calipers too which is a solid $1100, then rotors even for a full gb is $900+ shipping + taxes so $1500ish

Piston upgrade kit $200+ shipping so say $230

And we're at almost $3k just for that pretty quickly.. And we're still not as good as the 'proper' bbk's by any stretch

Yeah no, i could get a proper 100% of a bbk performance for that money.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #31
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
I drive a 130i not a 135i

I would need 135i calipers too which is a solid $1100, then rotors even for a full gb is $900+ shipping + taxes so $1500ish
Woa, I thought 130i had the brembo 135i calipers. Whats is the part number of the stock caliper?

Have you looked into XYZ bbk. They seem more reputable then k2 that even Corvettes are installing them for track duty. Allow for after market pads
Not sure what application any new kit needs in order to be considered credible.

They would probably cost 3k USD for front and back.

What about project Mu or other japan brands?

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #32
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
Woa, I thought 130i had the brembo 135i calipers. Whats is the part number of the stock caliper?

Have you looked into XYZ bbk. They seem more reputable then k2 that even Corvettes are installing them for track duty. Allow for after market pads
Not sure what application any new kit needs in order to be considered credible.

They would probably cost 3k USD for front and back.

What about project Mu or other japan brands?
Nah same as 128i as far as i know. Single pistons 330mm front

Yeah the ONLY info i can find is for corvettes... The name is dodgy, price pretty low, only really a single forum thread with 3 or so users of them.

Not used by enough people for my liking.

What's k2 though?

Can't really find anything from those brands
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #33
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
What's k2 though?

Can't really find anything from those brands
I meant kSport

There are a fee UK brands that offer Tuv certified BBK kits too. Prob at BBK prices.

What about WP Pro Brakes bbk( its reputable in Canada, used in racing http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...=117895&page=2
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=653790
)

XYZ has been fitted to some Accord, but no metions of track stats

Last edited by andrey_gta; 10-24-2012 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #34
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL128 View Post

http://forums.racingbrake.com/showth...=4244#post4244
A proper BBK will run cooler and cool off faster then an upgraded 135i caliper. That said, the upgraded 135 set up is more then enough for most people.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 03:09 AM   #35
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I meant kSport

There are a fee UK brands that offer Tuv certified BBK kits too. Prob at BBK prices.

What about WP Pro Brakes bbk( its reputable in Canada, used in racing http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...=117895&page=2
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=653790
)

XYZ has been fitted to some Accord, but no metions of track stats
yeah, i can't really find anything wrong with k sport other than 'they're ok...'

i can't find any info on teh WP pro for purcahse other than i'm guessing they're VERY pricey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
A proper BBK will run cooler and cool off faster then an upgraded 135i caliper. That said, the upgraded 135 set up is more then enough for most people.
yeah if i already had 135i calipers, i'd almost certainly be fine... but if for the same money i can get better......

ED:
http://wpprobrakes.com/main/brake/select

yeah, just had a look there... $3300 front, nah i'll just get brembos..

ED: oh wait... $2500 for 360mm
but nothing listed for the rear

might send them an email, that's not a bad price.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 03:18 AM   #36
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

The problem I'm finding with BBK is nobody has them in stock and they won't ever keep them in stock. They are built to order. Everyone says 4-6 weeks but I think it's one of those situations where they say 4-6 weeks but in reality it's closer to 3-4 months, who knows, possibly a lot longer. That's the impression I'm getting anyway. It's frustrating. I wouldn't mind putting down a deposit but forking out 3k upfront stinks.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #37
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
The problem I'm finding with BBK is nobody has them in stock and they won't ever keep them in stock. They are built to order. Everyone says 4-6 weeks but I think it's one of those situations where they say 4-6 weeks but in reality it's closer to 3-4 months, who knows, possibly a lot longer. That's the impression I'm getting anyway. It's frustrating. I wouldn't mind putting down a deposit but forking out 3k upfront stinks.
wow, at least you're getting that

so far i've had two companies just stop replying to emails

the most success i've had is from pm's on this forum about stoptechs (as far as i can gather they can get them rapidly), which is nice.. and some OE replacement gear

months doesn't sound right, it's a standard caliper with a specific rotor and mounting bracket yeah?

i mean, i could understand shitty companies taking months... but still...'

at this rate i'll be getting some better pads/rotors/lines and upgrading when i've got the new motor in or something...

ED: oh! 130i's have bigger rotors than 128i's it seems!

330mm vs 128i's 300mm

well then. kinda sucks hah

Last edited by flinchy; 10-25-2012 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #38
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
ED:
http://wpprobrakes.com/main/brake/select

yeah, just had a look there... $3300 front, nah i'll just get brembos..

ED: oh wait... $2500 for 360mm
but nothing listed for the rear

might send them an email, that's not a bad price.
Yep their rear system has 2 choices:
Use OEM caliper 900 or their caliper 2500

Definitely email them

EDIT:
Wilwood is an option too
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31651

Powerbrake from South Africa is also good on paper. (cater to ferrari & other race teams including BMW team in Europe, USA, South Africa)
-To USA they offer free shipping, maybe Australia too
-There are 2 versions of 4 pot Race calipers available
-Their 4 pot PB44L comes in a Cup version that is for the street/light track
- Lots of pad choice, including Hawk ( see BMW team http://www.powerbrake.co.za/news/rc0812.htm)
-Pricing from what I found is under $3k for 350mm and prob cheaper for 330mm ( 17" inch wheels work)
http://www.powerbrake.co.za/
http://www.nissanownersclub.co.za/fo...c.php?p=224380

(I am actually excited about this Powerbrake's option)

Last edited by andrey_gta; 10-25-2012 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #39
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Birds Tuning here in the UK sells a custom AP Racing BBK for the 1 Series.

UK retail price is £2125 which probably includes our VAT at 20%, so you can likely take 20% of that price before adding shipping out to Aus + your import taxes etc.,etc.

See here http://www.birdsauto.com/sites/www.b...8734870500.pdf
That price is without VAT......so don't bank on getting 20% off
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #40
BMWbab1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Performance friction are by far the best bbk available for the 135i. Most of the top race teams in grand-am and lemans run performance friction. However effective braking on the track is almost 100% due to cooling
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #41
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yep their rear system has 2 choices:
Use OEM caliper 900 or their caliper 2500

Definitely email them

EDIT:
Wilwood is an option too
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31651

Powerbrake from South Africa is also good on paper. (cater to ferrari & other race teams including BMW team in Europe, USA, South Africa)
-To USA they offer free shipping, maybe Australia too
-There are 2 versions of 4 pot Race calipers available
-Their 4 pot PB44L comes in a Cup version that is for the street/light track
- Lots of pad choice, including Hawk ( see BMW team http://www.powerbrake.co.za/news/rc0812.htm)
-Pricing from what I found is under $3k for 350mm and prob cheaper for 330mm ( 17" inch wheels work)
http://www.powerbrake.co.za/
http://www.nissanownersclub.co.za/fo...c.php?p=224380

(I am actually excited about this Powerbrake's option)
Where can you get power brake/ what sorta price? 350mm vs 355mm though, so slightly smaller!

Thoae willwoods are a great price! I can't see them for sale any more at uuc tho :/

Ed: vat is 20%, import duties are 20%.. Works out about the same lol

Performance frictions look great in every way.. But pad per piston sounds restrictive in choice and pricey to replace.. Plus initial price is very high... I'm not too sure they'd be awesome on a daily? (How fast they could wear?)

And formula 1 (and other series') teams run AP, willwood and brembo parts.. Other teams may run ksport if they want, it really (mostly) doesn't mean crap who races it.. often custom engineering for race teams..you never hear about replacing parts or long term (or even short term) wear especially on race cars for the most part..

And if you can guarantee the part will be the same as the race car (as in the performance fiction), on top of not really knowing how it will be long term on the street, the price strts VERY high.

Last edited by flinchy; 10-25-2012 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #42
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Quote:
Where can you get power brake/ what sorta price? 350mm vs 355mm though, so slightly smaller!

Thoae willwoods are a great price! I can't see them for sale any more at uuc tho :/

Ed: vat is 20%, import duties are 20%.. Works out about the same lol

Performance frictions look great in every way.. But pad per piston sounds restrictive in choice and pricey to replace.. Plus initial price is very high... I'm not too sure they'd be awesome on a daily? (How fast they could wear?)

And formula 1 (and other series') teams run AP, willwood and brembo parts.. Other teams may run ksport if they want, it really (mostly) doesn't mean crap who races it.. often custom engineering for race teams..you never hear about replacing parts or long term (or even short term) wear especially on race cars for the most part..

And if you can guarantee the part will be the same as the race car (as in the performance fiction), on top of not really knowing how it will be long term on the street, the price strts VERY high.
Something to consider which most people don't think about it. How often do you plan on changing pads? Perf friction calipers are of a monoblock design which means you have to remove the caliper to change the pads, vs say like stop tech or brembo's which you can just pull some pins and then slide pads out. If you spend a lot of time swapping pads (like me for track events) the design of the brembos and stoptechs to swap pads w/o removing the calipers is a huge selling point for me, and several race teams.

Another thing to consider is longevity. As in how long are you going to be able to replacement pads/rotors? The bigger the company the more assured you are you'll be able to get parts for the car.
      10-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #43
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Something to consider which most people don't think about it. How often do you plan on changing pads?

design of the brembos and stoptechs to swap pads w/o removing the calipers is a huge selling point for me, and several race teams.

The bigger the company the more assured you are you'll be able to get parts for the car.
Excellent point, I noticed that Powerbrake's solution has this pad swapping design too. They even have a caliper with individual pads per piston.

Quote:

Powerbrake's cost under 3k is a price I found on some other South African Ford vendor's page and converted from South African currency to Dollars

Regarding size, I'm actually interested in their 330mm kit so that I can run my winter 17" wheels or track 17's (if I ever can track the car). The BMW race teams they mention seem to run this 330 kit as well. The only reason I see for my 128i to do 350mm is bling, and rightfully so if you are spending 2k+.
I do not recall seeing any rear application on their page

I found Wilwood for e90 on ebay in black caliper. Visually their calipers look dated, but that's just visually.

In any case I think Powerbrake and WPro should be contacted as they look to be decent alternatives that are not kSport/rotora and XYZ.

Appreciate 1
      10-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #44
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Something to consider which most people don't think about it. How often do you plan on changing pads? Perf friction calipers are of a monoblock design which means you have to remove the caliper to change the pads, vs say like stop tech or brembo's which you can just pull some pins and then slide pads out. If you spend a lot of time swapping pads (like me for track events) the design of the brembos and stoptechs to swap pads w/o removing the calipers is a huge selling point for me, and several race teams.
I'm pretty sure Brembo GT is monoblock too.
Appreciate 0