BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Sixle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: CR 135i N54 6MT

Soon to be attending my first track day in my 135i...help!

Hi All,

I will soon be doing a BMW CCA HPDE track day at Road Atlanta on September 7th, but with me having zero track day experience I'm wondering what few modifications for the car would be best?

Right now I have recently ordered Apex EC-7 Wheels which will allow me to run Bridgestone Potenza S-04's in 235/40/18 front and 265/35/18 rear during the event.

I next plan on grabbing a set of blank rotors and Hawk HP Plus pads since I'll be driving there and back and will need a pad that can still work well on the street to get there, I don't plan on using these pads all the time, just for the track itself. Also plan on bleeding the brakes to Motul RBF600

Is there any other necessary upgrade for a novice driver which will make the day easier? I'm really not trying to break the bank prepping and since I'm definitely not going to be thrashing the car at 100% I think I should be safe with what I'm getting. Any other thoughts, recommendations or ideas? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixle View Post
Hi All,

I will soon be doing a BMW CCA HPDE track day at Road Atlanta on September 7th, but with me having zero track day experience I'm wondering what few modifications for the car would be best?
Zero modifications. Learn to drive your car in the form you actually drive your car. Your car's abilities are well above and beyond your own; don't get caught up in the internet hype of those with experience who change tires, brake pads, etc...

As you progress through HPDE, you will get better and then commensurately improve your car to match your ability and need.

Now, most people don't do it that way, but that is my advice as someone who has gone up through the ranks of HPDE and made some car-modding mistakes.

Quote:
Right now I have recently ordered Apex EC-7 Wheels which will allow me to run Bridgestone Potenza S-04's in 235/40/18 front and 265/35/18 rear during the event.
Why did you buy those, not knowing how the car performs on the stock setup near the limit?

Quote:
I next plan on grabbing a set of blank rotors and Hawk HP Plus pads since I'll be driving there and back and will need a pad that can still work well on the street to get there, I don't plan on using these pads all the time, just for the track itself. Also plan on bleeding the brakes to Motul RBF600
Again, overkill for your first day out.

Quote:
Is there any other necessary upgrade for a novice driver which will make the day easier? I'm really not trying to break the bank prepping and since I'm definitely not going to be thrashing the car at 100% I think I should be safe with what I'm getting. Any other thoughts, recommendations or ideas? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Yes, there is a necessary upgrade, which you're covering by attending the HPDE: the nut behind the wheel!!!!!

Seriously, I don't mean to run down your ideas, and it's your car, so you'll do what you are comfortable with. But it's not a competition, and your car is SUPREMELY able to handle whatever you may throw at it on your first day out.

Go out there, stay calm, listen to your instructor, keep your eyes up, and be smooth. And don't get your ego hurt when less powerful cars pass you.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
Zero modifications.
+1
The RBF600 may not be a bad idea but at this stage I wouldn't recommend anything including the brake pads. Learn the car as first priority.

Your stock pads will hold up fine. I just got back from Road America which in my view is tougher on brakes than Road Atlanta and have had no issues. I spent 3 hours (2 days) on the track at Grattan followed by 4.5 hours (2 days) at Road America and still have half of my stock pads left (I was amazed actually).

The tire size combo you have chosen should work out well as far as bringing additional balance to the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
tapout2taxes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
I was looking into taking my car out to the track and this is what BMWCCA, Los Angeles' packet says:

"Vehicle Modifications: Our schools are intended to make you a better driver in your own car in regular traffic. Novice students are strongly encouraged to avoid the use of R compound tires or suspension and engine modifications. Learn to drive with your car as close to stock as possible then start adding modifications."

The only mods I have made are mods I would make no matter what and it sounds like the guys above are basically saying the same thing. Sounds like good advice that I will be taking, I might even put my JB4 in map 4 so I can log but not have the added tune, we'll see but I'd listen to them and enjoy!

Last edited by tapout2taxes; 07-20-2013 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
agent00M
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport DCT Nav

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
Zero modifications. Learn to drive your car in the form you actually drive your car. Your car's abilities are well above and beyond your own
+1. I just did my first HPDE ever this month in my bone stock 135i M-sport.
2 hours on track in 95+ air temp at Summit Point main. Drove there in the morning, drove back home same evening, 50+ miles each way.
First things first, learn the track (which I was slow in doing) and then the speed will come. Car is more capable than it lets on.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
Sixle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: CR 135i N54 6MT

Awesome guys. I bought the tires and wheels because i would have anyway just for a different look and because my stock tires were running out of life.

Brakes were actual suggested by an HPDE instructor to me which is why I figured they may be a good idea for a crossover type pad instead of a full race pad.

This particular day im doing is six, 30 minute sessions on the track.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Last edited by Sixle; 07-20-2013 at 07:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Shiny side up!!!! Be prepared to get hooked!

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

stock pads make me concerned. I like that you're getting HP+ pads.

the pad is a very linear pad, no aggressive bite and decent torque.

over cooking OEM pads is common. youd hate to see a day end because you destroyed OEM pads or went off from pad overheating and boiling fluid
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
jafo1701
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 2016 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
stock pads make me concerned. I like that you're getting HP+ pads.

the pad is a very linear pad, no aggressive bite and decent torque.

over cooking OEM pads is common. youd hate to see a day end because you destroyed OEM pads or went off from pad overheating and boiling fluid
My first track day I cooked through my stock pads on my E36 M3. I had to run to autozone and pick up some no name pads so I could run the 2nd day. Luckily some other BMW guys had the tools so I could swap out the pads. Now I bring an extra set of pads and rotors with me and all the tools necessary just in case. So upgrading pads isn't a bad idea. You don't need full blown track pads though. HP+ should work for you find.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #10
02rsxpilot
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2013 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
Have to agree. The advice from everyone is coming from the right place, but there is a difference between performance mods (completely unnecessary for a novice) and safety mods.

OEM brake pads are designed for street use. Driving on a track is magnitudes more demanding on brakes, even starting out, so at the very minimum it was a great idea to grab some Hawk HP+s. Brake fluid is a good idea too. The stock fluid would probably be fine, but there's no harm in adding a little extra peace of mind with higher temp fluid. With those one or two upgrades you will be all set for at least your first season of tracking.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rsxpilot View Post
Have to agree. The advice from everyone is coming from the right place, but there is a difference between performance mods (completely unnecessary for a novice) and safety mods.

OEM brake pads are designed for street use. Driving on a track is magnitudes more demanding on brakes, even starting out, so at the very minimum it was a great idea to grab some Hawk HP+s. Brake fluid is a good idea too. The stock fluid would probably be fine, but there's no harm in adding a little extra peace of mind with higher temp fluid. With those one or two upgrades you will be all set for at least your first season of tracking.
TBH, you've got it backwards...fluid > pads. If you pads get cooked, you might lose a bit of braking performance; and feel, but if you boil your brake fluid to the point of nothingness, your brakes will fail. The brake system is hydraulic, it needs fluid to operate. Just make sure that you have a sufficient amount of brake pad left so you're not metal on metal. For a first-timer, unless they're at a really fast track, they will not run into too much trouble with the factory pads.
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
02rsxpilot
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
TBH, you've got it backwards...fluid > pads. If you pads get cooked, you might lose a bit of braking performance; and feel, but if you boil your brake fluid to the point of nothingness, your brakes will fail. The brake system is hydraulic, it needs fluid to operate. Just make sure that you have a sufficient amount of brake pad left so you're not metal on metal. For a first-timer, unless they're at a really fast track, they will not run into too much trouble with the factory pads.
True enough. I'd do both, no question.

Last edited by 02rsxpilot; 07-22-2013 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #13
JRT128i
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i M-Sport

Personal experience...stock pads & motul 600 and you'll be perfectly fine. And why pay for brake pads when you're still under warranty? See you out there in September.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 01:59 AM   #14
avholloway
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i; 6 speed;

I have done three days at Brainerd International Raceway now, and all three days were on stock components and settings. The car still out drives me. It's awesome and I love it.
      07-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
IS+1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 (AW 6MT)

Stock brake pads and Motul RBF 600 have worked fine for me for lapping days so far. I'd also try to dial in as much negative front camber as possible... not so much for the handling benefits but more to preserve the outer shoulders of your front tires.

All other performance-oriented mods, as others have said, are not necessary at this point. For your first few outings, although no one wants to admit it, the limiting factor will be the driver, not the car.

Despite all the complaints you hear about the 1er's shortcomings as a track car, it is still an immensely capable car.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #16
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

First track day ever?

Most important thing to bring? Humbleness and humility.

Enjoy and have fun!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #17
bmw4life27
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

I just picked up my brand new 2013 135i from the dealer with the m sport package as the only option.

I have only put 30 miles on the car and already can tell its too soft for track work. Definitely needs a stiffer suspension. I am guessing the run flats are the reason for the soft suspension.

Otherwise it seems like a hell of a car.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #18
02rsxpilot
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw4life27 View Post
I just picked up my brand new 2013 135i from the dealer with the m sport package as the only option.

I have only put 30 miles on the car and already can tell its too soft for track work. Definitely needs a stiffer suspension. I am guessing the run flats are the reason for the soft suspension.

Otherwise it seems like a hell of a car.
Suspension feel is extremely subjective. Especially when the car is new, your previous car's characteristics will play a major role in how you perceive the new one. IE: Coming from a 2,700 lbs. car, the 135i feels like a boat to me, but if I were coming from an SUV or 4,000 lbs. luxury car, it'd feel like a race car.

Good to hear the stock brake pads are holding up for several people. I'm sure this is highly dependent on the track in question but it is true that while they are under the maintenance warranty, who cares if you cook them?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #19
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
First track day ever?

Most important thing to bring? Humbleness and humility.

Enjoy and have fun!

AND try to listen to what your instructors are telling you to do. SOmething that is very hard for a man to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #20
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Good to hear the stock brake pads are holding up for several people. I'm sure this is highly dependent on the DRIVER in question but it is true that while they are under the maintenance warranty, who cares if you cook them?
Fixed that for you.

The faster the driver, the less brakes they use. Stop slowing down for the corners.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #21
02rsxpilot
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Fixed that for you.

The faster the driver, the less brakes they use. Stop slowing down for the corners.
Haha, touché MightyMouse. Very true. My point was, whether you're Bob the fry guy or Lewis Hamilton, one track (let's say Laguna Seca) can be much more demanding on brakes than another (Thunderhill), so if people would be so kind as to share which tracks they were at when their stock brakes held up great, that would be super for those of us evaluating what we do or don't need to do to prepare for our next track days.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 12:48 AM   #22
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Haha, touché MightyMouse. Very true. My point was, whether you're Bob the fry guy or Lewis Hamilton, one track (let's say Laguna Seca) can be much more demanding on brakes than another (Thunderhill), so if people would be so kind as to share which tracks they were at when their stock brakes held up great, that would be super for those of us evaluating what we do or don't need to do to prepare for our next track days.
Well you mentioned MRLS. Coming into turn 2 trying to slow down from 130 going downhill is murder on brakes.

Quite the opposite at Sonoma/Sears Point/Infineon for me that track is fast, but it really only has one or two threshold braking points and one of them has a huge run off so if you over cook the turn you just ruin the exit but no harm done.
Appreciate 0