BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-27-2008, 03:08 PM   #23
imported_Maurice
Not too sexy for his car.
Rep
Drives:

I knew BMW's performance figures tended to be consevative, but I am really excited to see that kind of 0-60 time with an automatic! It's nice to have a new lower, performance number I can quote to my friends!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 04:29 PM   #24
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by asv View Post
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._bmw_135i_test

My favorite Quote.

"I'm blown away by this little stealth fighter. I can't recall another car that's been more surprising to drive; I expected the 135i to offer solid performance, but it's breathtakingly quick. Refined, too-it's a bona-fide BMW. Direct and communicative steering feel, bags of grip. An absolute blast to drive."

Looks like the R&T number is right on:

While BMW claims the 135i sprints to 60 mph in 5.1 seconds, our test machine consistently ripped off 4.7-second runs, easily besting the factory estimate, and buzzed through the quarter mile in 13.3 seconds at 105.6 mph. Under braking, the 135i's six-piston front brakes, and wide, sticky tires haul it to rest from 60 mph in an impressive 102 feet, and the 1's average lateral acceleration checked in at 0.94 g.
Nice but I really want to see some performace numbers with the dinan software upgrade installed. I'm not sure I'll even drive it off the lot before the software flash is performed. I *need* 400+ft-lb.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #25
imported_saturn
Private
Rep
Drives:

I don't think I would have believed 4.7s on an automatic with runflats, but C&D got the same result (not sure if it was an auto or not, though).
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #26
investor27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn View Post
I don't think I would have believed 4.7s on an automatic with runflats, but C&D got the same result (not sure if it was an auto or not, though).
There is no way in hell that the 4.7 sec. 0-60mph is from an automatic. That's more like wishful thinking to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #27
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by investor27 View Post
There is no way in hell that the 4.7 sec. 0-60mph is from an automatic. That's more like wishful thinking to me.
i agree that it is surprising; however, the test specifications clearly state it's an automatic...

does motor trend have a history of miss-stating its testing vehicle specifications?
      03-27-2008, 07:33 PM   #28
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

For comparison, from recent Motor Trend tests.

Laptimes

135i - 2.74-mi Reno Fernley Raceway - 163.93 sec

M3 sedan - 2.74-mi Reno Fernley Raceway - 154.2 sec

Is there a list of times from Motor Trend for this test track? I would like to see how it compares to cars in its class.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #29
Smallbodybimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
These autos in the 135's and 335's are damn fast shifters. They arent the slush boxes they used to put in the older cars. Just have a look on E90post, they are actally having big debates over which is the faster setup. Alot of guys with the pretty fast cars are auto. The kicker is that the autos come stock with higher gears to even up acceleration nubers between auto and stick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 07:58 PM   #30
UK135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Amazing Review - the 135i really is fast!!:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #31
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:

You're kidding right? An auto shifts a hell of a lot faster than a human will ever be able to work a clutch. The power to the wheels is basically un-interupted becuase they're shifting under power. The only reason autos were slower in the past was that they had fewer gear ratios, resulting in more space between each gear. That's not the case now. There's a reason nearly every serious drag car runs an automatic transmission.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #32
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickone View Post
For comparison, from recent Motor Trend tests.

Laptimes

135i - 2.74-mi Reno Fernley Raceway - 163.93 sec

M3 sedan - 2.74-mi Reno Fernley Raceway - 154.2 sec

Is there a list of times from Motor Trend for this test track? I would like to see how it compares to cars in its class.
Only good for approximate comparisons unless it's same day same driver. I don't think they've been using that track for very long either.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #33
imported_saturn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
The article for MT specifies AT and shows interior pictures that clearly show it was an AT. The C&D article doesn't say or imply one or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
You're kidding right? An auto shifts a hell of a lot faster than a human will ever be able to work a clutch. The power to the wheels is basically un-interupted becuase they're shifting under power. The only reason autos were slower in the past was that they had fewer gear ratios, resulting in more space between each gear. That's not the case now. There's a reason nearly every serious drag car runs an automatic transmission.
Exactly. There have been a huge number of improvements in AT's over the past several decades they've been in service. Not only are they offered with more gears for improved acceleration and gas mileage they're more reliable than before. I would love to have a dual-clutch automatic, but a good normal AT with paddles isn't some piece of crap people make it out to be. You can still downshift before a turn, hold your gear through the turn, and bounce off the rev-limiter all day (in most tiptronic setups at least). And with a car that has so much torque even from the lowest rpms, dropping the clutch at 5000 rpms isn't going to give you a huge improvement in time like an RX-8 or something would.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #34
Hypnoz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Launching at the higher rpm's helps get you to peak HP faster. The manual transmission in general should be more efficient as well so typically the manual cars will have more hp to the wheels. There are other benefits to like increased control over your gear selection.

But all this aside, the 135i I drove had the 6 spd auto and i thought it worked great. I just want a manual car.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #35
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post

The other part is that it takes a little of the driver out of the equation and you can replicate times a little easier ..

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 11:45 AM   #36
soolman32
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: F30 335i Soon: AMG

With numbers like that, it makes you wonder why one would spend the extra cash and by an M3 :iono:
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 03:00 PM   #37
Robinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Just got the May 08, C&D, the 135i tested is a 6 speed manual. On P.48 of the notes section it states, "Tricky to launch. The sweet spot is about 4300 rpm with some clutch slip to control the wheelspin. Below that, the engine bogs. Above that, the tires get roasted".
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #38
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

I am soooooooooooooooooooooo happy I got an auto. Manuals are overated on upperclass cars that use quality autos, and the zf is one of the best. I would not have any more fun in a manual than I do this auto. But it is personal preferance, I am happy you old school manual guys finally accepted computers as opposed to manual type writers so that you could post on these forums.
      03-28-2008, 04:07 PM   #39
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
I am soooooooooooooooooooooo happy I got an auto. Manuals are overated on upperclass cars that use quality autos, and the zf is one of the best. I would not have any more fun in a manual than I do this auto. But it is personal preferance, I am happy you old school manual guys finally accepted computers as opposed to manual type writers so that you could post on these forums.
The new auto is great and getting better than a manual in some respects such as faster shifting. But the feel and ultimate control is still better in a Manual, thats not debatable.

Sorry, but comparing this to typewriter vs. a PC is not apples to apples at all.

The manual transmission will probably never go away due to the feel and control factor.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #40
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

The typewriter thing was just a joke, and each tranny has its own advantages. Feel is mental and therefore only oppinion meaning it can't be argued either way really just an I like you like thing. Ultimate control is really a wash though or the auto coming in an inperceivable bit behind because I can choose my gear and stay there just like you can, I am just unable to go from 6th to third directly though I bet I could down click three times in about the same time it would take 95% of the people with manuals to shift.

Ultimately I am happy with my decision even though it cost more and you are happy with yours and that is the important thing. I just think it is ridiculous and ignorant when manual drivers look down on auto drivers as less of a driver.

An argument can be made that shifting manually takes more brain and dextarity ability away from other essential driving actions like finding the apex, scanning for hazards, etc. Therefore, a quality auto with paddles or good programming could provide a more aware driving experience. However, that is not an argument I wish to make just a thought for those die-hard manual people that don't feel there is anything else in the world.
      03-28-2008, 10:27 PM   #41
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
The typewriter thing was just a joke, and each tranny has its own advantages. Feel is mental and therefore only oppinion meaning it can't be argued either way really just an I like you like thing. Ultimate control is really a wash though or the auto coming in an inperceivable bit behind because I can choose my gear and stay there just like you can, I am just unable to go from 6th to third directly though I bet I could down click three times in about the same time it would take 95% of the people with manuals to shift.

I just don't agree with that. No matter how good a traditional auto is (and this one is good) you've still got a fluid coupling between the engine and drive wheels. Engine braking just isn't the same, and at the limits of traction there's more control with the direct connection of a clutch. RPM is no longer just a funtion of speed, but also throttle, or lack thereof.

Now, if a DSG type setup was being offered, I'd have to seroiusly consider it. I'm not against letting the car control the shifting, just the loss of connection that come with the torque converter.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #42
Mystiqueskillz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000

Damn I can't wait to get my 135i.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 08:25 PM   #43
Hypnoz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Sorry guys, the auto in this car is good but it's nowhere near as good as a DSG/Twin clutch auto-manual. And if you select a gear with the paddle shifters and then give it too much gas it WILL downshift. That's not control.

Manual cars are also more efficient and can be launched better. And then as stated above, you can't downshift from 6th to 3rd. or anything like that.

The auto will be great for a lot of people, but people like myself want a badass luxury sports coupe with a manual. I have a feeling a lot of BMW dealerships are underrating demand for the manual as mine have already stated they aren't ordering any.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 09:52 PM   #44
imported_saturn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnoz View Post
Sorry guys, the auto in this car is good but it's nowhere near as good as a DSG/Twin clutch auto-manual. And if you select a gear with the paddle shifters and then give it too much gas it WILL downshift. That's not control.

Manual cars are also more efficient and can be launched better. And then as stated above, you can't downshift from 6th to 3rd. or anything like that.

The auto will be great for a lot of people, but people like myself want a badass luxury sports coupe with a manual. I have a feeling a lot of BMW dealerships are underrating demand for the manual as mine have already stated they aren't ordering any.
Why is that when tiptronics were first coming out you picked a gear and it stayed there. The only things you couldn't do were down shift past redline and upshift to where you'd bog the engine. You could bounce off the rev-limiter until the car exploded. Now all these fancy DSG style trans have taken away the control and shift when they want, no matter what setting you put it in.
Appreciate 0