BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-14-2008, 03:56 AM   #1
gTa
Sporthatch Lover
Rep
Drives:

My E81 120d Limited Sport Edition

Hi BMW '1 fans!

This is my first post on this forum, and i'd like to present my daily drive. I ordered it in March 2007 to a German BMW-employee, who recieved the car in May 2007 and drove it for 6 months (that's the "Halbjahreswagen"-system). In December 2007 it came to me with 5.997 km on it, and I drive it daily since then ... at present it's got nearly 24.000 km.

It's got 177 DIN-horsepower and 350 Nm of torque (manufacturer's data), and in fact it must have at least that, given the performance. I'm pleased with it, even after my previous car (chipped 320d with 190 DIN-hp).

It replaced my E46 320d touring Sport Edition (mystic blue / black alcantara), that was chipped to some 190 DIN-hp and 405 Nm. It's a smaller car, that's for sure, and it's more nimble, sportier, it's more of a thing that you throw around in slow/medium speed corners, whereas the E46 3-series touring was more of a highway runner, it was more stable at very high speeds (200 km/h and more), but less nimble at lower speeds (under 120 km/h).
I haven't driven my nem 120d on a track, so i cannot really compare the two what handling on/over the edge is concerned, but the first trackday for the new one is coming soon.

Anyway, here are some specs :
E81 120d "Limited Sport Edition"

carbon black metallic ***
leather Boston lemon

Advantage Package (contains *)
M Sports Package (contains **)
Limited Sport Edition (contains ***)

options :
interior applications in grey poplar wood
multifunctional steering wheel
sports seats **
anti-theft alarm
M sports suspension **
M sports steering wheel & shiftknob **
M sports footrest **
M sports aerodynamic package ** (front bumper, side sills, rear bumper)
M sports doorsills with M logo **
glass moonroof
black interior rooflining **
smoker's package
armrest in front *
heated front seats
storage package *
Park Distance Control (front & rear)
rain sensor & automatic lights
Xenon headlights & washers
automatic climate control
removable carpets *
cruise control
light package (door handles, interior)
foldable rear headrests
cellphone package Bluetooth
radio Professional MP3
HiFi-System Professional
USB-jack
matte chrome exhaust tip **
matte chrome side window surrounds ***
high gloss black side mirror stems ***
starting knob surround with "limited edition" inscription ***
M alloy wheels styling 216M 18inch with Goodyear NCT5 Runflat tires 205/40R18 frond and 225/35R18 rear ***

Afterwards, the following items were added :
chrome kidney-grille
Eibach Pro Kit lowered springs
Eibach Pro Spacer spacers front & rear (24mm per axle)
short roof antenna

Planned/desired mods :
other tires (Goodyear Eagle NCT5 Runflat 205/225R18 are rubbish)
M roof spoiler (uncertain)
M rear diffusor (uncertain : colour coded, or carbon fibre?)
engine chip (215 DIN-hp and 450 Nm of torque)
Goodridge brake hoses & some decent brake fluid & EBC RedStuff/GreenStuff brake pads

Some pictures, maybe. :biggrin:

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 04:01 AM   #2
gTa
Sporthatch Lover
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTa View Post
It's got 177 DIN-horsepower and 350 Nm of torque (manufacturer's data), and in fact it must have at least that, given the performance.
Some impressions of the performance. Don't forget, this is a 4-cylinder diesel car. :biggrin::thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 04:05 AM   #3
gTa
Sporthatch Lover
Rep
Drives:

Some pictures with the trackday wheels mounted (still got rubbish tyres on them) :

I never drive these wheels on the street, since 1) they're a bit too flashy/racy for my taste for daily use, and 2) i like the LSE-wheels better for daily use.

But nevertheless i'm fond of BBS cross spoke wheels, and i think even this modern Bimmer looks cool on these classic racy rims, and it'll look awesome on the track i think.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 06:40 AM   #4
Bmsingh
Private
Rep
Drives:

very nice.... looks like the 130i Limited Editions, never knew they came in 120d and love the Carbon Black

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
gTa
Sporthatch Lover
Rep
Drives:

The "Limited Sport Edition" was in fact a package that could be ordered with any motorisation, starting from the 118d up to the 130i (source: official BMW price list, click). But the LSE is ... limited (albeit 2000 pcs), so it wouldn't surprise me that this version wasn't available on every market.

In fact, it's not much more than the M Sports Package with the 216M 18 inch alloys, the "exclusive" paint (carbon black metallic was the only paint choice for the LSE), the matte chrome window surroundings (a regular option on the normal 1-series with M sports package) and the start button bezel with "limited edition" engraved. It could only be ordered with the front+rear PDC. The rest is M Sports Package, even the upholstery (but leather upholstery could be taken as an option, except the beige interior/leather that could not be ordered for the LSE).
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
///M ichael
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: HiAce

Nice car Me like Black...
But you know the 123d Coupe is faster (204 bhp/400NM) 0-100 km 7.0 sec. and 19.8km per liter :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 04:43 AM   #7
gTa
Sporthatch Lover
Rep
Drives:

I know it is faster, but I couldn't order the 123d at the time I ordered mine. Or, it should be faster, but the difference is smaller than you'd expect. The top speed is a problem with the 123d, they seem to be limited to some 234 (real) km/h (almost all 123d have the same problem), so that's only some km/h faster than a 120d. And since the 123d's fantastic engine is (for a diesel) so linear, it doesn't feel faster in acceleration. It's got a fantastic linear feel (i've driven it on several occasions), and as you know, the less linear the power curve, the more powerful it feels (nice example: Volkswagen Golf IV 1.9 TDI 150hp).

I'm glad with mine, and from the moment the BMW/Bosch EDC17 checksum- and writingproblem is solved (chiptuners are having a ball on this one, it's very heavily protected), I'm going to have it chipped. 215hp and 450Nm
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 01:24 AM   #8
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
gTa,

Awesome scrap-metal photo setting. Beautiful.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
Chipmunkcom
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Hello gTa!

What a nice car! I'm looking to buy one that looks like yours.

Is it possible to send me the pictures in high-res?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
Teshune
Registered
Rep
Drives:

FYI, there's exactly the same on BMW premium's website #0091221E

If that's what you want, don't waste your time or it 'll be gone in a week tops.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #11
gTa
Sporthatch Lover
Rep
Drives:

Although the LeMans winning cars from the last few years are a bit of a giveaway ... it still might come as a shock to our friends in America that small turbodiesel engines can be very performant.

Diesel cars (with small engines, 4 or even 3 cylinders, and mostly not more than 2 or 2,2 litres) are very common here in Europe (Germany, France, Belgium, ...), and even if they're mainly built for fuel economy, they can become nasty fast cars when used properly.
Sure, the driving fun is less than in a good petrol car: first of all the noise is close to horrible, and moreover the response to the gas pedal isn't that much yeehaa. For drifting, for instance, they're close to no good, exactly because of the lag on the throttle input.

But!

Treat'em right and you get back a lot. Which I experienced yesterday on the Zolder Racetrack (Belgium). I fitted semislicks to my 2-piece forged BBS/BMW rims, fueled her up, fired up the cameras and on we went, messing with loads of other (faster) equipment.

:headbang:

This is the result :

(or download it in higher quality at http://rapidshare.com/files/126778271/fastlaps_0001.wmv )

It was fun!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 10:47 PM   #12
martintejeda
Registered
Rep
Drives: E81 116i Sport Edition

Hey, i have just bought an e81 116i just like yours, and loved the short roof antenna you have. Can you tell me where to buy it?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #13
dj john
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: 118d performance

you can buy it on your lockal bmw dealer
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #14
SSunklug
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW e81 N52N

What sizes and et are the bbs wheels???
In my opinion they are more beautiful than 216.
Have you installed them with 24mm front and rear spacers?
Appreciate 0