BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-23-2018, 07:06 PM   #1
Mr. Wilson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM, X5M

Should I detune my 1M

I have been running a cobb tune for sometime now. I don't get overzealous with the tune and the supporting modes but it does make the car drive differently. Fun but overbearing. In fact with non R compound tires I just find myself always fighting traction issues on the street. As cars get faster and more capable the speed bug quickly looses its appeal. My F80 ZCP is dinan stage 3 and has way too much power although the car is far more capable to handle the power. Yet my 96 NSX is stock and although slow by todays standards still feels damn fast and agile. Hell even my wifes sedan is a rocket although its numb as hell. I guess what I am getting at is, when is enough enough and when should a car be experienced in stock form especially since there is "always something better" and certainty way faster?

Your thoughts.......
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2018, 08:20 PM   #2
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

I never felt that my 1M needed any more power than it came with, stock.
nachob2307.00
      03-23-2018, 08:52 PM   #3
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Second that...
Appreciate 1
nachob2307.00
      03-23-2018, 09:09 PM   #4
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
I agree stock more than adequate for me. Stock I still occasionally chirp the tires on shifts even running warmed up Advan Neova AD08R (sticky) tires. Plenty of very useable power for the street.

That said, it all comes down to personal taste. The fact you're thinking about it and have a sound basis for comparison makes me think you would want to do it.
      03-24-2018, 09:13 AM   #5
stormchaser7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

I would take the Cobb off for a while. Run stock and switch back if your missing the power. I went back to a stock MHD map after some clutch slipping. Car now feels ok but doesn't have the same throw back in your seat punch that the tune gave. I will ratchet it back up once I break in the new clutch.
      03-24-2018, 02:35 PM   #6
8081M
Private
Rep
Drives: 1M, E91 msport, E61 msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Word ^^^
Appreciate 2
nachob2307.00
      03-24-2018, 04:18 PM   #7
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8081M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Word ^^^
Have you guys ever driven a tuned 1M with decent tires? It can be extremely entertaining.

Regarding tunes, you don't have to go crazy to make the car much more enjoyable on the street. Yes, it's certainly possible to overdo it (do you *really* want to break the tires loose in 3rd every time you get on it it?), but it's also possible to enhance conservatively.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2018, 09:01 PM   #8
MMM PWR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M and E46 ZCP

just go lighter on the pedal. I have a Dinan tune and know what you're talking bout.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2018, 07:16 AM   #9
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Whichever setup is more enjoyable for you

No need to overthink it more than that.

Try both and pick the one you like best
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #10
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Are you running Cobb OTS maps? If so I would recommend a moderate pro tune, You can have it fine tuned to your style -was never a big fan of the Cobb maps, felt too abrupt. I second e30 racer, try to some RE71s
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2018, 05:09 PM   #11
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Very happy with my 500+ whp 1M. Of course, I've been driving (and instructing) on road race courses for a long time and have a well-calibrated right foot!

However, I seriously suggest that you do some HPDE's to learn how to put the power down in a safe environment.

Neil
Appreciate 2
      03-26-2018, 07:08 PM   #12
Mr. Wilson
Private First Class
Rep

I do appreciate everyone's comments. The cobb tune seems to me like a very good tune in that I have never had a single problem and car drives smooth, functions well but... there is an appreciable lag and when it comes on it comes on heavy. Fun but not easily controllable. I do appreciate your comments Mdorphn. MMM PWR / stormchaser 7, I figure the dinan tune is probably smoother. My F80 dinan is as, if not more smooth then my stock tune. That being said I am going to detune it and see how it feels as Black Gold said. I am not going to remove the supporting mods at least not for now. I can appreciate how good a driver one must be to control a tuned 1M. Frankly in stock form the car feels like a beast compared to a M2 or even my tuned M3. Fun but a beast. Different feel. My next project will be an akra exhaust. Looking forward to it. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 10:19 AM   #13
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
I do appreciate everyone's comments. The cobb tune seems to me like a very good tune in that I have never had a single problem and car drives smooth, functions well but... there is an appreciable lag and when it comes on it comes on heavy. Fun but not easily controllable. I do appreciate your comments Mdorphn. MMM PWR / stormchaser 7, I figure the dinan tune is probably smoother. My F80 dinan is as, if not more smooth then my stock tune. That being said I am going to detune it and see how it feels as Black Gold said. I am not going to remove the supporting mods at least not for now. I can appreciate how good a driver one must be to control a tuned 1M. Frankly in stock form the car feels like a beast compared to a M2 or even my tuned M3. Fun but a beast. Different feel. My next project will be an akra exhaust. Looking forward to it. Thanks again.
Just a thought, which OTS maps are you running? I remember not liking that the Stock Throttle maps (when the 'M' button still works) would feel that the boost was too abrupt as you describe. I've since switched to the Linear Throttle maps and prefer those.
      03-27-2018, 10:12 PM   #14
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Gobs and gobs of torque is fun. Torque sometimes literally drips off the rear tires. It's like hot fudge. Who doesn't like hot fudge?
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 03:51 PM   #15
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
I have been running a cobb tune for sometime now. I don't get overzealous with the tune and the supporting modes but it does make the car drive differently. Fun but overbearing. In fact with non R compound tires I just find myself always fighting traction issues on the street. As cars get faster and more capable the speed bug quickly looses its appeal. My F80 ZCP is dinan stage 3 and has way too much power although the car is far more capable to handle the power. Yet my 96 NSX is stock and although slow by todays standards still feels damn fast and agile. Hell even my wifes sedan is a rocket although its numb as hell. I guess what I am getting at is, when is enough enough and when should a car be experienced in stock form especially since there is "always something better" and certainty way faster?

Your thoughts.......
replace your OEM tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 07:34 AM   #16
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW MY12 1M

For me the power delivery and throttle mapping are what I have the most issue with. The tiny turbos come on so fast (due to being undersized for the 3L engine) making peak torque at around 2900rpm in 3rd, earlier in 4th - this super low torque peak and the speed with which it comes on makes the car lack finesse and be hard to control. I spent a lot of time custom tuning mine and now the power delivery is very smooth, even running a little more boost than stock. However the turbos are being overspun at anything over about 11psi at redline, which almost every tune exceeds, so long term reliability isn't there when pushing them that hard ( I mapped out my boost on the compressor maps if anyone wants to see).

Also IAT's are very high as the compressors are way out of their ideal efficiency range. I have larger turbos ready to install, I plan to run these on close to stock boost - around 14.5psi flat to redline, which will create a more gradual torque curve with peak boost around 3400 in 3rd - still early but more reasonable, and will allow the engine to pull all the way to redline instead of dropping off so fast as the tiny turbines/hotsides choke the exhaust gasses and the compressors run off their compressor maps. I should make a decent amount more power than stock in a more controllable way but with lower EGT's, less backpressure, lower IAT's and safe shaft speeds. Win Win IMO.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 08:06 PM   #17
Mr. Wilson
Private First Class
Rep

Good point GimmeanM. I will possibly do change my throttle response to linear first.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #18
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Very happy with my 500+ whp 1M. Of course, I've been driving (and instructing) on road race courses for a long time and have a well-calibrated right foot!

However, I seriously suggest that you do some HPDE's to learn how to put the power down in a safe environment.

Neil
Hey Neil!

7 years doing the same but still stock!
Appreciate 0