BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #45
csow
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichd
Quote:
Originally Posted by csow View Post
The downside is all the sauce covered lettuce falling out of my BigMac when I have to hold it with my teeth because I'm shifting and trying to make a turn at the same time.
You steer with your knee. Your left hand is for your drink
I like to reserve my left hand for wafting out the window with my middle finger wagging away at the old lady I just flew past.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #46
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
I like to reserve my left hand for wafting out the window with my middle finger wagging away at the old lady I just flew past.
In Florida, that type of behavior would lead to carpal tunnel syndrome.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 07:50 AM   #47
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

Owning a stick....well.....shucks...it's a badge of courage.
And it kind of ensures that no one else can or will drive your car.
thieves will look at your car, realize they spent their lives driving Play Station Cars and move past.
And it's fun, just pull up next to a slush o matic...Put your foot on the clutch, roll down the window and rev the engine. Those silly PS racers in their slush boxes can't do that.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #48
P7X
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269 View Post
thieves will look at your car, realize they spent their lives driving Play Station Cars and move past.
The funny thing is that this is true, I love seeing those articles about ppl trying to steal cars and they cant because its a manual. The sadder part is they don't even try. They just sit in the car debating what to do or see it and run away
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 11:57 AM   #49
csow
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269 View Post
Owning a stick....well.....shucks...it's a badge of courage.
And it kind of ensures that no one else can or will drive your car.
And it's fun, just pull up next to a slush o matic...Put your foot on the clutch, roll down the window and rev the engine. Those silly PS racers in their slush boxes can't do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P7X View Post
The funny thing is that this is true, I love seeing those articles about ppl trying to steal cars and they cant because its a manual. The sadder part is they don't even try. They just sit in the car debating what to do or see it and run away
These things do only apply in North America of course. Learning to drive back home in the UK you kind of have to drive a manual and do your test in one otherwise you get a restricted licence.

I've also found that here in Canada there seems to be more manual drivers than across the border in the US. Not sure if thats the European influence or the weather.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #50
P7X
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Quote:
These things do only apply in North America of course. Learning to drive back home in the UK you kind of have to drive a manual and do your test in one otherwise you get a restricted licence.

I've also found that here in Canada there seems to be more manual drivers than across the border in the US. Not sure if thats the European influence or the weather.
True. I find its a french thing. Francos (QC) drive stick more often than not.

There's is some hope guys. Yesterday I saw a 70+ year old lady driving a manual and just this past fall I taught my girlfriend how to drive stick (not in my 1er)
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #51
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBoston View Post
you don't need x-drive. I've been driving my 128i here in New England all winter with Blizzaks and it's running well.
I have Michelin X-Ice tires on my 128i, also in New England. It works fine in the snow, but I would still like to have X-Drive.
      02-26-2014, 11:24 AM   #52
LuisBoston
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i, '23 iX M60

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [8.83]
2023 BMW iX M60  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [8.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
I have Michelin X-Ice tires on my 128i, also in New England. It works fine in the snow, but I would still like to have X-Drive.
Why? You need 200 additional pounds to carry around?

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #53
i_love_cars
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6mt

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
Do you think someone who drives an automatic necessarily doesn't like being connected to his car? Another viewpoint (which I know isn't yours) is that it lets you be more connected to the good stuff by offloading the drudgery of shifting a manual. That's certainly why all race car designers and drivers prefer them.
depends on what you define as "the good stuff". I find a hydraulic steering column and a good manual transmission to be "the good stuff", personally.

If pure performance is what you're going for, then yeah the new DCTs of today are faster. So if you're a race car designer or professional racer, then sure.

But for 99.8% of the rest of the enthusiasts out there who track their cars or just plain love driving - it's hard to beat a pure manual. Those people tend to favor having full control over what's going on with the drive.

That said I definitely *hate* being in rush hour traffic with a manual and can relate to those of you out there who don't want to deal with it.......but both of my cars are still manual transmissions and I just tend to go to work earlier, and thus leave earlier, which avoids most of that.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 12:10 AM   #54
csow
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
Do you think someone who drives an automatic necessarily doesn't like being connected to his car? Another viewpoint (which I know isn't yours) is that it lets you be more connected to the good stuff by offloading the drudgery of shifting a manual. That's certainly why all race car designers and drivers prefer them.
depends on what you define as "the good stuff". I find a hydraulic steering column and a good manual transmission to be "the good stuff", personally.

If pure performance is what you're going for, then yeah the new DCTs of today are faster. So if you're a race car designer or professional racer, then sure.

But for 99.8% of the rest of the enthusiasts out there who track their cars or just plain love driving - it's hard to beat a pure manual. Those people tend to favor having full control over what's going on with the drive.

That said I definitely *hate* being in rush hour traffic with a manual and can relate to those of you out there who don't want to deal with it.......but both of my cars are still manual transmissions and I just tend to go to work earlier, and thus leave earlier, which avoids most of that.
It's funny though. Rush hour traffic is very different when everyone else is in a manual too. In Europe heavy traffic flows different than it does here. I find that when everyone is in an automatic they gun it and then slam on the brakes and traffic has this accordion effect. Back home it just rolls at a steady slow pace unless there's some kind of blockage.

I say we mandate that everyone drive manual transmissions. Maybe when I'm ruler of the universe...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 07:41 AM   #55
i_love_cars
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6mt

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
It's funny though. Rush hour traffic is very different when everyone else is in a manual too. In Europe heavy traffic flows different than it does here. I find that when everyone is in an automatic they gun it and then slam on the brakes and traffic has this accordion effect. Back home it just rolls at a steady slow pace unless there's some kind of blockage.

I say we mandate that everyone drive manual transmissions. Maybe when I'm ruler of the universe...
There's probably a good amount of truth in that. It's impossible to engine brake safely here because people do tend to just run up, slam on the brakes, stop, and begin again. As a result I'm also terrified of the people behind me.

I will vote for you for ruler of the universe if it means everyone drives manual
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #56
KNTDRV
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i SGM 6MT(gone now)

Quote:

You could almost guess who's driving a stick during these situations...especially here in Toronto!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #57
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

LOL, so true. And the big one is when you see people who do or don't creep. They stop 10 feet back from the car in front, creep up a foot, stop, creep up a foot, stop, creep up a foot, stop. I sit there with my manual and wait till the light turns green and traffic REALLY starts rolling. Sometimes there will be 50 feet between me and the car in front by the time we get rolling again. I am not wearing out my clutch just because the idiots in front of me can't judge stopping distances.

God damn automatic drivers.....
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #58
csow
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNTDRV
You could almost guess who's driving a stick during these situations...especially here in Toronto!
Oh the 401 is the worst! I try to coast along making sure that I've got plenty if space in front so I don't have to stop but then some idiot decides he wants to be in my lane and squeezes into my nice buffer.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #59
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

I'm a huge MT guy. To each his own of course, but I just don't understand driving a "driver's car" like BMW any other way. The DCT is a step in the right direction, but not for me. Not interested! I currently drive an auto, just because of the amazing deal I got. BUT, my next car will be MT, I go through "withdrawl" everyday!
As I said in another thread I started, I miss the days where "M" cars were MT only. That's pure.
You can find a pre-owned manual easier than what others have said. They are out there, just have to be prepared to jump quickly. 135s and Z4s are out there....3 series are harder to find......but they are there! :=)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #60
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

I drive a manual and as such I have been told I’m am not only more talented but also smarter and better looking…also my farts smell of roses.
And thus I am superior to all those guys who drive manual transmissions!
No if I could only go out and let others drive my car! So…this means I have to be more responsible as well!
Sigh! The burden of awesomeness is great for us!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #61
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

Oh and the cars are less expensive to buy when you drive a stick!
http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/a...t-list-large_0
Appreciate 0