BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

04-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #199
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

Everything that has needed to be addressed has been done. We will work with Keith via PM or email however he prefers. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #200
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riss Racing View Post
So now the downpipes caused the 02 Sensor to fail

Keith a more logical expination would be the exposed 02 Sensor during install was hit/dropped etc...An 02 sensor will not fail by simply turning a car on and mild driving. Besides the fact this is a common replacement part on OEM & modded cars a like. Sensors fail all the time. Your sensor could have been bad to begin with. Some of the things you claim blow my mind. Like the oil leak caused by downpipes Oil doesn't pass through downpipes. The downpipes were also causing reduce power? When you then realized you didnt have the DDV Kit rear T-Bolt clamp on at all. The downpipes wouldn't fit at all. 100% your claim at Cobb. Then Stett got them on the car. PS your exhaust was installed on a local forum members car last night We took it off and gave him a new system. I will be having one of our local cars coming down next week to install both your catted downpipes, and exhaust with pics / video of the install
This was your first response to me in this thread. Notice the sarcasm? Notice the smileys you chose to use? Notice that you falsely claimed I said the downpipes caused an oil leak? Notice you falsely claimed that I had issues with the DDV that I blamed on the downpipes?

You entered this thread and chose to go on an ugly path. Sure I wasn't being nice before, but I certainly wasn't going to take that abuse from you.

Yes Stett did get the downpipes installed, the O2 sensors were to close to each other, and the picture I provided of the O2 sensors shows the subsequent damage. Can you explain how the damage came about in any other way? Can you explain how the downpipes I had can be installed incorrectly such they are in their mountings correctly and bolted on to the exhaust yet the O2 sensors made contact? My offer stands if you would like to examine those sensors.

The pictures from COBB where they cannot get the sensors in place is here for all to see. You saw those weeks ago. Three to four professionals at COBB and two at Stett worked with these pipes. At COBB they could not maneuver the pipes in such a way as to have them both fit the car and exhaust correctly and allow clearance for the O2 sensors. At Stett they found that they could only install the downpipes by placing the sensors into the pipes then put the pipes in their mountings, which differs from the instructions in your DIY.

Stett has also successfully installed your catted downpipes before. The worst problem he had previously encountered, aside from the known issue with the O2 sensors occasionally throwing codes, was once or twice having to clean the threads out on some of the bungs a bit before the sensors could be installed. This was the first time he has encountered a problem where the O2 sensors were that close together. As far as Stett is concerned these are not indicative of the normal quality of your downpipes.

It doesn't matter if you have sold 100, 1,000 or 1,000,000 of these before. That doesn't mean that you can't have a one time manufacturing glitch. You've already acknowledged that the flange on the exhaust was changed by your manufacturer.

You can choose to reply to this post with more rolling eyes and criticism of my automotive knowledge, or you can explain exactly how someone can go about doing the installation so wrong that it appears that everything is in it's proper place yet the O2 sensors are in contact with one another. If you choose to do that you may actually be helping future customers who might also run into such problems with the installation.

I've recently moved my photos to Google's web albums. Photos can be found here, here, and here.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #201
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
all that was included with my exhaust was 2 RR decals, the bag of bolts, nuts and washers. And of course the exhaust itself. I dont really see it on the website. http://rissracing.com/alpha/?page_id=10 and it sure was not on the discount price thread i went through to order the exhaust http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ht=riss+racing. If your exhaust was designed to be like this, then i think a note should be included in the sale threads (need modification depending on model) or something along those lines. I've installed plenty of exhausts on my suby, hks, borla, tanabe. None of which required me to do anything other than taking off my old exhaust and bolting up the new one.
i have yet to see anything to counter my point. Did anyone else get an exhaust installation guide with their exhaust package? Cause mine sure did not come with one.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 05:45 PM   #202
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep

Isn't it ironic? I have had some time to really sit back and reflect on this situation. Keith you have had an issue with EVERY SINGLE PRODUCT. Now anybody thinking logically would sit down and say....We have sold hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of each of these different products. Now yes we have had an issue from time to time. Like you said "glitch" but what are the odds that the same person would get the same glitch on every single product?

Now if I was somebody trying to smear a companies name with bad intentions. How great would it be to simply purchase every product. Create a problem where one is not. (since we had no issues installing the products you returned) Then get a full refund in the process? I mean the pics you took of the exhaust are IMPOSSIBLE to believe. Then I look further at the pics of the plenum. The first pic is like 7 inches in the air. (honestly we would make a mistake from a jig causing that much of a difference? Have you ever seen a jig or know how it works? That is literally impossible) But on the second pic it looks connected right....Now I have the same products on the same car. It was red like yours as well. Then all of these products magically fit?

Thinking even further into it. What client would need to bring this publicly? I mean what's the point? If I were in the middle of a dispute with a company that was working with me whenever I needed it, and I already had half of my money refunded and the rest promised too me. Why would I go on a forum create a bigger thread than companies do when they release products. Has anybody honestly looked at the detail provided in this thread? I mean how much time was put into this thread by him? With what motive other than to try and smear our name? If this was all true I think there would be a million people on this thread saying the same thing. But there is not. We even proved all your products fit in the car just fine. We have proved all damaged products you returned too us fit on the car just fine. You have admitted your own installer errors. Your blame of the 02 SIM not working or the catted dps throwing a cel. Then you realize its the ddv kit. Your saying the dps won't fit at Cobb then they fit at Stett. Further more during this smear campaign another ironic thing happens. At the exact same time this post shows up. A member that does not even own a 135i every single one of this 30 posts were negative towards us. Which he was in turned banned for. 1+1 doesn't = 2
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #203
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
If you're saying that the exhaust had no problems and you installed it easily, that's a flame against Stett, not Keith. He didn't claim to install any of those exhaust parts. If you are saying that the exhaust literally BOLTED right up to your test car, then clearly there are some serious issues with the way Keith's car came from BMW. I guess the question is, did you have to alter the exhaust to get it to fit in ANY way?

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #204
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

Well Anthony, I don't know what to say. The plenum photos speak for themselves, this is not the first time I've posted this on the forum. The point in showing the plenum resting on the intake is that if you put the reservoir where you have claimed it can be placed, the plenum cannot fit properly. I don't know what is so hard to understand about that. For you to misrepresent it as you have shows a certain lack of integrity. You have yet to show a photo where the reservoir is placed between the filter and fender and with the plenum in place. Until such time I will maintain my stance that you never test fitted in that configuration.

You continue to harp on about me saying the DDV kit caused a problem with the catted downpipes. I NEVER said that, I NEVER confused those issues. I wish you would let that go.

I posted this thread to inform others. I do have the intake installed correctly now by the way, and it has worked fine. But there are areas where it could be improved, and I have tried to provide information to others that wish to install these products that might help them. Why would I have recently posted in another thread suggestions on installing the DDV if I was just out to smear your name? And wouldn't I make up some wild story about the catch can rather than just say I think it's a good idea but I haven't installed it yet?

Viewing this as some sort of smear campaign or conspiracy against Riss does not help anyone. You have continually refused to address issues shown by my photos. Furthermore you have now started to smear others as Stett took those photos of the exhaust, not I. Your refusal to provide any insight as to how my downpipes were installed incorrectly is odd. As is your refusal to provide proof that the reservoir can fit as you originally claimed. What does this tell us? Let's see those pics. Post a pic of the reservoir mounted to the side of the filter, and of my downpipes mounted and how the O2 sensors fit in. Please, just do this and we can all move on.

I've recently moved my photos to Google's web albums. Photos can be found here, here, and here.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #205
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

THIS IS YOUR INSTALL ON THE EXACT SAME PRODUCT.

THIS IS HOW THE INSTALL WITH THE EXACT SAME PRODUCTS SHOULD BE INSTALLED....

EXHAUST/DOWNPIPES INSTALLED CORRECTLY

I honestly just don't get how the install could be off that far? It just makes no sense to me. We have no issues at all. We had to move the back bracket like all are needed. As advised when we send it out. So they fit all DP applications LHD & RHD.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #206
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep

THIS IS YOUR INSTALL ON THE EXACT SAME PRODUCT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLM View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Here's how they say it works:

Here's another view where they claim that bracket will go:

All we need is a good picture with the reservoir in that position to show us how it goes. That's all. If it fits, I apologize. If it doesn't...
THIS IS HOW THE INSTALL WITH THE EXACT SAME PRODUCTS SHOULD BE INSTALLED....

Quote:

These are the exact same products. How this this not installer error? I mean it just makes no sense. That it would be off that much when you do it. Then fine when we do it, and everybody else does it.

In your pic the bracket is clearly installed wrong. The filter position is off. As well as the intake looks to be a bit off. These are just adjustments you need to make. You have all the products on your car driving. If thats how it really installed... how did you shut your hood?

THIS IS A CLEAR ADDRESS OF YOUR PHOTOS.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #207
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

When you released the plenum you never said that people had to move the reservoir if you had it mounted with the C-clamp bracket on the fender as instructed. When people started to point out that it didn't fit, you were first in denial. You have continued to claim in this thread that you did test fit it in that configuration, yet you continue to show pictures that are not in that configuration. You are only proving my point.

Here is my post where I provide pictures of the install with the method DangerLucas suggested, which involved mangling the C-clamp and repositioning it.

Here is my amateur install using the latest bracket you supplied:

When you shipped the plenum you had no solution nor recommendation in place for those customers using the C-clamp bracket. Those of us involved in the plenum thread had to work with one another to come up with solutions to the problem. I was told by Daniel at one time there was a way to make it fit without modification, and at a later time I was told by him I had to bend the tab on the C-clamp.

Of course, this is one of my favorite posts from Anthony. You're welcome by the way.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #208
ichiban
Colonel
Rep

lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 12:04 AM   #209
993 911
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z3M, F31, G07

Is this thread for real?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 02:09 AM   #210
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

I have had no issues with fitting all my parts other than the bracket for the reservoir which Riss did resolve by releasing a new one that fits fine, shipped fre and at no cost.

This thread has got out of control and I think it best for all parties involved that it stops. I don't believe a resolution to this will come about on this forum and a forum is not the place to continue this. I think it is in the best interest of all involved to conduct this personally on a one to one basis away from the public forum. Everyone gets the "drift" of what has gone on and can draw their own conclusions.

I personally have had close to no issues with fit of any of the many RR parts I have so far, but I do understand how some may have issues as DIY on modern cars is not an exact science and sometimes you need to read in between the lines and "add lib" a little with installation.

I can fully understand Keiths frustrations and as a business I can understand RR relpies, so I am not taking sides. I hope, for both of you, that this gets resolved quickly away from the forum.
      04-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #211
carlosii
Second Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
I honestly just don't get how the install could be off that far? It just makes no sense to me. We have no issues at all. We had to move the back bracket like all are needed. As advised when we send it out. So they fit all DP applications LHD & RHD.
Anthony,

When you said "move the back bracket like all are needed" you mean bend it or re-weld it on another location? You are referring to the long bracket on the muffler? I have my exhaust here, I'm planning on doing the install myself on the driveway with basic tools (like most bolt on exhaust systems) but if it has to be modified to the point of weld something, then this is a not DIY... Please clarify me...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #212
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego blue 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosii View Post
Anthony,

When you said "move the back bracket like all are needed" you mean bend it or re-weld it on another location? You are referring to the long bracket on the muffler? I have my exhaust here, I'm planning on doing the install myself on the driveway with basic tools (like most bolt on exhaust systems) but if it has to be modified to the point of weld something, then this is a not DIY... Please clarify me...
basically there is no answer to that question. some people have had to reweld and others just need to bend the bracket. there's only one way to find out and that is to get under the car take the exhaust off and try to see if the new one lines up. isn't that convenient? but what you can rest assured of is that that exhaust is on teh faztest 135 evar!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #213
Juicer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Anthony,

From the exhaust sound clip thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Riss Racing View Post
Hi guys,

we are really sorry about this confusion on these threads. We have been prepping the shop All day/All night. We only had a chance to reply to emails/PM's. In regards to the exhaust not fitting, KeithLM's was the only unit which is being returned for non fitment. If this set was not completed on the jig correctly, we are not going to make him keep the product. We will test fit the system to if there are any errors with our welds on that set. It looks like our machinist used the wrong flange on the Y pipe. The holds are a few MM off so they may need to be drilled out a little bit. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused anybody and we will gladly do the modification for you at no charge. Refunded shipping and all. Please contact us directly if you need to contact us. Thanks guys!
So was there modification needed for Keith's exhaust? Adam stated in the above quote that the machinist may have used the wrong flange for the Y pipe. Has it been determined if that is what happened and if so have the other exhausts made at the same time been checked to make sure they don't have the same defect and if so corrected before they are shipped out?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #214
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Quote:
Anthony,

I don't think anybody had to re-weld the hangers, but I could be wrong. In my case all I had to do was bend that back hanger a little farther away from the muffler. It takes some force, but it's not that hard. I believe this is what most others ended up doing if it was needed.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #215
Juicer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerlucas View Post
I don't think anybody had to re-weld the hangers, but I could be wrong. In my case all I had to do was bend that back hanger a little farther away from the muffler. It takes some force, but it's not that hard. I believe this is what most others ended up doing if it was needed.
Were you able to bend the hanger with just your hands without the use of specials tools like a torch or a vice?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #216
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
No need for a torch. I'm sure a vice would make it a little easier, but I think we just used a hammer. It was just a matter of positioning the exhaust in a way that you could use the hammer.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #217
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerlucas View Post
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...g+exhaust+weld

For whatever reason, he's happy rewelding his exhaust. I know I wouldn't be. Oh well .
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 01:56 PM   #218
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikelol View Post
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...g+exhaust+weld

For whatever reason, he's happy rewelding his exhaust. I know I wouldn't be. Oh well .

That sort of thing is no big deal if you're at an exhaust shop, but I don't understand why it's happening on a system that is supposed to be a "bolt-on".
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #219
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
After reading that thread, it doesn't look like Keith is the only one with issues after all........

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #220
ichiban
Colonel
Rep

I just had to reweld my hangers as well. I used a torched on it to bend it, but it was still not enough clearance, so we had to go to an exhaust shop and have them cut and weld the hanger so it fits better. This solved the clearance issue in the mid section.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread