BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Emissions testing - RAF Mildenhall

Hey all I just received assignment orders to RAF Mildenhall. So I have a quick question. How strict is your emission testing out there? I did a quick search and found that it's part of a MOT? I still have my stock downpipes on but got rid of the secondary cats on the midpipes, I'm wondering if the stock cats will be enough. Also do they even test imported cars?

Thanks I look forward to visiting the other side of the pond.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti View Post
Hey all I just received assignment orders to RAF Mildenhall. So I have a quick question. How strict is your emission testing out there? I did a quick search and found that it's part of a MOT? I still have my stock downpipes on but got rid of the secondary cats on the midpipes, I'm wondering if the stock cats will be enough. Also do they even test imported cars?
If you still have the stock downpipes, then you'll be OK for the UK MOT regs.
Lots of N54 guys here running N55 mids on their cars.

Assuming you'll be here more than 6 months, then you will have to register the car with UK plates, and thus yes, it will have to pass UK MOT test.

The 1st MOT test occurs at 3 years old, and then annually after that.

Quote:
Thanks I look forward to visiting the other side of the pond.
There's a Mildenhall/Lakenheath based guy with a 135 that is quite active on the UK 1 Series forum and comes to some of the meets here, so you'll be made welcome over here
      03-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

For US forces stationed in the UK... don't you also need to switch over to RHD headlights after a year or so? That could be kind of pricey on our cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
If you still have the stock downpipes, then you'll be OK for the UK MOT regs.
Lots of N54 guys here running N55 mids on their cars.

Assuming you'll be here more than 6 months, then you will have to register the car with UK plates, and thus yes, it will have to pass UK MOT test.

The 1st MOT test occurs at 3 years old, and then annually after that.

There's a Mildenhall/Lakenheath based guy with a 135 that is quite active on the UK 1 Series forum and comes to some of the meets here, so you'll be made welcome over here
Thanks for the info I was planning on going fully catless this year but it looks like this will be held off for the foreseeable future. I'm definitely excited to see and explore your country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
For US forces stationed in the UK... don't you also need to switch over to RHD headlights after a year or so? That could be kind of pricey on our cars.
God I hope not.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:

God I hope not.

I think it is when you need to go get that first MOT. I seem to remember that after one year in country. ?

Btw... the other bad news about being stationed there... is they have no Esso card program(like we have in Germany). Meaning they have tax free fuel on base... BUT if you travel inside the country, there is no network for tax free fuel purchases. So you have to pay UK prices - when you travel. That was how it was a few years back. I am not sure IF its still the same way.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 05:19 AM   #6
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
That's aonly a matter of adjusting the alignment mechanism though....?

It's what we have to do everytime before going going on a ferry etc to mainland Europe, so our lights are pointing the otherway. I'll have a look around for a post on that.
      03-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
That's aonly a matter of adjusting the alignment mechanism though....?

It's what we have to do everytime before going going on a ferry etc to mainland Europe, so our lights are pointing the otherway. I'll have a look around for a post on that.
Yea, I know that. That was not what I was talking about. I know you guys have to tape up the LHD headlight pattern to RHD specs.

But I remember a guy posting a few years back, that once you PCS to the UK, after a certain amount of time(I think one or two years) you need to comply with UK MOT, and that means swapping out the headlights to RHD specs.

Maybe the law/rules have changed since then. ?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

I am here at Mildenhall as well. Here are a few pointers from what I have experienced with my 1er:

Get the Euro headlight switch to enable your rear fogs or they will put an ugly boat trailer light under your rear bumper.
If you have adaptive headlights you won't need to worry about any headlight mods. If they aren't then you will have to have them adjusted down so they are useless or they will stick on clear vinyl beam deflectors to your lenses.
Also, you will need to have your front amber running lights disabled eventually.
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT take your car to the auto hobby shop to get the light conversion done unless you like your wire harnesses hacked up and half your exterior lights not working after they "convert" it. Thank God I didn't take my car to them after seeing all the cars on base with messed up lights.

As for MOT and emissions I barely pass with my mid-pipe kitties (stupid forum censoring) removed so you should have no problem with that. I would not suggest going kittyless while here unless you know someone at a garage. I have race catted downpipes in my garage but am not going to install them. I don't want to have to remove them every year.

PM me if you have any more questions.
      03-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
gomtingsuk
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I'm here at Mildenhall as well.. +1 to what MadMan77 said on light conversion.
DO NOT GO TO Auto hobby shop on base.
There's Horner Brothers in Mildenhall village that seem to know what they are doing, although you won't have much to do to pass MOT.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
gomtingsuk
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Yea, I know that. That was not what I was talking about. I know you guys have to tape up the LHD headlight pattern to RHD specs.

But I remember a guy posting a few years back, that once you PCS to the UK, after a certain amount of time(I think one or two years) you need to comply with UK MOT, and that means swapping out the headlights to RHD specs.

Maybe the law/rules have changed since then. ?
Quite possible that the rule changed but I've been here over two years and didn't have to swap my headlights to RHD spec on both of my cars.

If I HAD to do that...that would have sucked some major cojones..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Thanks for the advice MadMan77 and gomtingsuk. I'll definitely have to get with you guys for some advice when I get there. I should be there early December.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 06:43 AM   #12
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

As I'll most likely forget to say this in December please accept this message in advance.

Welcome, please enjoy our cheap women, cheap...urm well I believe that is all that is cheap here these days, not even the beer. But that aside, enjoy the country, its natural and historical beauty and where possible our varied climate.

Don't expect a thriving N54/N55 tuning club over here, most people still can't get their head around what a remap is. Think of N54 tuning in the U.K as the stone age, where the U.S was in 2007 for the N54. No-one knows a thing and they all fight each other proclaiming to know best. I keep my opinion to myself on the UK forums, I am an experienced tech & enthusiast but novices all know better apparently so I let then get on with it. Proud to be a 1addict
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy View Post
As I'll most likely forget to say this in December please accept this message in advance.

Welcome, please enjoy our cheap women, cheap...urm well I believe that is all that is cheap here these days, not even the beer. But that aside, enjoy the country, its natural and historical beauty and where possible our varied climate.

Don't expect a thriving N54/N55 tuning club over here, most people still can't get their head around what a remap is. Think of N54 tuning in the U.K as the stone age, where the U.S was in 2007 for the N54. No-one knows a thing and they all fight each other proclaiming to know best. I keep my opinion to myself on the UK forums, I am an experienced tech & enthusiast but novices all know better apparently so I let then get on with it. Proud to be a 1addict
Thanks I'm looking forward to seeing the country and the cheap women lol. I love traveling and my one regret when I was stationed in Spain was not visiting England.

Being one of the first N54 owners I'm all to well versed in the tuner wars. I've ran the JB+, JB3, Procede V3, and now Cobb. One thing I learned was to stay away from the fan boys. If you're happy with your tune then be happy with it, there's no need to preach to me about this and that. Anyways hopefully I'll meet some cool enthusiast up there.
Appreciate 0