BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-22-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Track suspension settings

Hey track guys (and gals) what track setup are you running?

Camber, toe, tire/wheel sizes, pressure, ride height, etc. and your impressions.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by p66 View Post
Hey track guys (and gals) what track setup are you running?

Camber, toe, tire/wheel sizes, pressure, ride height, etc. and your impressions.
Is this on any particular coilover system? Any then you can adjust ride height and possibly camber.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Is this on any particular coilover system? Any then you can adjust ride height and possibly camber.
Harold, it's me Philip C. asking the question. I guess everyone's setup is a secret.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Harold, it's me Philip C. asking the question. I guess everyone's setup is a secret.
I apologize I didn't put the username and the real person together. You already know what I suggest so I guess I will let others post here.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 02:02 AM   #5
frankcos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Hi,

What would be the suggested setup for KW V3 other than the configuration provided by KW itself? configuration for both track and street.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #6
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Bump

I would love to know what people have done with stock parts for camber/caster/toe. How adjustable is it, and what is the best camber difference front to rear?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 02:16 AM   #7
Ulmi
Enlisted Member
Rep

At the "Sportauto Supertest" the cars set up was:

Front:
Caster: 6°54'
Toe: 0°32'
Camber: -1°36'

Rear:
Toe: 0°20'
Camber: -1°19'

--------------------
Stock Settings:
Front:
Caster: 6°50' to 7°50'
Toe: 0°02' to 0°18'
Camber: -0°55' to -1°45'

Rear:
Toe:0°02' to 0°18'
Camber: -1°33' to -1°58'
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 02:37 AM   #8
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep

I am running KW Clubsport...-3.1 camber 1/16th toe out and -2.6 rear with 1/16 toe in. I am running 18x10 all around with 275/35/18 at 33 hot. (continental challenge tires)..Car is about 1 inch lower all around. I run bump about a couple of clicks under half at front and just about half in the rear. Rebound total of 18 clicks..i run front 5-6 and rear 8-10 depending on the track and how the car is feeling.
      12-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Interesting to see people going with more neg camber up front. I am sure that helps turn in, and perhaps mid corner, but do you have trouble getting power down on track out?

What is the max neg camber that people have been able to get on the front STOCK?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUNEDM3 View Post
I am running KW Clubsport...-3.1 camber 1/16th toe out and -2.6 rear with 1/16 toe in. I am running 18x10 all around with 275/35/18 at 33 hot. (continental challenge tires)..Car is about 1 inch lower all around. I run bump about a couple of clicks under half at front and just about half in the rear. Rebound total of 18 clicks..i run front 5-6 and rear 8-10 depending on the track and how the car is feeling.
That is almost identical to my setup. Same camber front and rear, same toe setting, and about the same hot tire pressure, and also about 1" lower.. Exceptions are I am running a staggered 265 x 295 tire arrangement with Yoko ad048. And I have AST 4200's so my settings for rebound and compression can't be compared. 400lb front, 750lb rear springs.

I'm not as happy with the staggered setup as I thought I might be. Partially the cost factor of uneven tire wear and not being able to rotate tires. And more understeer mid corner than I would like. I think I'm going to try a square setup next.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #11
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
That is almost identical to my setup. Same camber front and rear, same toe setting, and about the same hot tire pressure, and also about 1" lower.. Exceptions are I am running a staggered 265 x 295 tire arrangement with Yoko ad048. And I have AST 4200's so my settings for rebound and compression can't be compared. 400lb front, 750lb rear springs.

I'm not as happy with the staggered setup as I thought I might be. Partially the cost factor of uneven tire wear and not being able to rotate tires. And more understeer mid corner than I would like. I think I'm going to try a square setup next.
Suspect you're running too much stagger. I'd suggest 255/275 or 265/285. That'll help with the understeer.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Did you take tire temps across the tread? How is your camber(maybe you need more or use a larger anti roll bar)? Have you try to lower the front tire pressures slightly?

Are you bottoming out on the suspension, that will sure lead to loss of traction. Since you don't have suspension telemetry, that will be tough, but not impossible to determine.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Did you take tire temps across the tread? How is your camber(maybe you need more or use a larger anti roll bar)? Have you try to lower the front tire pressures slightly?

Are you bottoming out on the suspension, that will sure lead to loss of traction. Since you don't have suspension telemetry, that will be tough, but not impossible to determine.
Yes, took tire temps across the tread. Nice and linear. Played with tire pressures. Suspension not bottoming out. But let's face it, I'm no suspension pro. I just know that my 135i with similar suspension components and settings, with a square setup, was more neutral. And even if I was willing to spend the time to make a staggered setup work, with lots of testing, trying different anti roll bars, spring rates, pressure, track, weight distribution (via ride height adjustments), etc., I would still need to deal with different tire and wheels sizes.

So I am at a cross-roads. I've not spent any real money trying to make my staggered setup work better. Just suspension adjustments and air and my time. Before I spend real money to maximize on-track performance, while still keeping it a daily driver, am I better off trying to make a staggered setup work, or a square setup? I read somewhere that a basic rule of thumb is to have your tire patch ratio about the same as your cars weight distribution. Since the 1M is almost 50/50, that would beg for a square setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, took tire temps across the tread. Nice and linear. Played with tire pressures. Suspension not bottoming out. But let's face it, I'm no suspension pro. I just know that my 135i with similar suspension components and settings, with a square setup, was more neutral. And even if I was willing to spend the time to make a staggered setup work, with lots of testing, trying different anti roll bars, spring rates, pressure, track, weight distribution (via ride height adjustments), etc., I would still need to deal with different tire and wheels sizes.

So I am at a cross-roads. I've not spent any real money trying to make my staggered setup work better. Just suspension adjustments and air and my time. Before I spend real money to maximize on-track performance, while still keeping it a daily driver, am I better off trying to make a staggered setup work, or a square setup? I read somewhere that a basic rule of thumb is to have your tire patch ratio about the same as your cars weight distribution. Since the 1M is almost 50/50, that would beg for a square setup.
What we have always done with these late model forced induction BMW's is to put the largest possible tire under each wheel well. The rear needs as much tire as the front to get the power down to the ground, otherwise it's just a fun drift car.

During initial road testing and autocross our 1M exhibits minimum understeer from a sport street alignment settings(-2 camber and 1/16" of toe in), with more camber and zero toe the understeer will sure go away. However, we found more tire/traction is needed for the rear, as getting the GIAC/AFE/ER/Berk/Borla power to the ground was a major issue. We will perform tracking testing as soon as time allows. We will also be testing the 1M with a set of Hoosier R6's(275 front and 295 rears).

Let me know if I can help.
Appreciate 0