E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > xDrive

01-08-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
onefish2
onefish2
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

xDrive

Do you guys not see any advantage to having the all wheel drive xDrive system over rear wheel drive?

Is it only the people in cold/snowy climates that are getting all wheel drive?

I would think that all wheel drive would make the car handle better than rear whell drive alone.

Or maybe its not really a 3 series without the true sports package of a non xi 325/330.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2006, 01:00 PM   #2
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Do a search on RWD vs. AWD and you will find alot of information.... Don't want to start up this debate again

I got an AWD car, but I live in buffalo (read we get SNOW!). If I lived anywhere else, I would have gotten a RWD with the SP and 18" tires and put snows on in the winter (if there was the possibility of ANY snow or cold temps).
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2006, 01:22 PM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Its for snow
      01-08-2006, 05:26 PM   #4
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
A quadraped mammal is more stable and sure footed than a biped mammal.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
gratemech69er
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Its for snow
Its for snow AND rain.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
parafrog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i BlkSaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2
Do you guys not see any advantage to having the all wheel drive xDrive system over rear wheel drive?

Is it only the people in cold/snowy climates that are getting all wheel drive?

I would think that all wheel drive would make the car handle better than rear whell drive alone.

Or maybe its not really a 3 series without the true sports package of a non xi 325/330.
just my 2 cents...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10581
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2006, 10:50 PM   #7
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

You must also consider that there are certain drawbacks on the xi. For example, more mass --> Higher fuel consumption and Longer stopping distances. The Xi rides higher than the 'i', the price is higher, and some people just believes that a RWD handles more ideally in good conditions.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2006, 11:44 PM   #8
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tctic
You must also consider that there are certain drawbacks on the xi. For example, more mass --> Higher fuel consumption and Longer stopping distances. The Xi rides higher than the 'i', the price is higher, and some people just believes that a RWD handles more ideally in good conditions.
That's all pretty much crap. The difference in fuel consumption between the 2 models is about 1mpg average. The difference in ride height is less than an inch. Stopping distance difference is not more than a couple of feet. Yes, you pay for the technology but x drive also enhances the the value of the car. BMW states that "On smooth, dry roads, the 325xi and 330xi have the feel of their rear-wheal drive stablemates." Let's try to be more responsible about posting information. Better to stick with facts than just giving opinions.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2006, 12:02 AM   #9
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer
That's all pretty much crap. The difference in fuel consumption between the 2 models is about 1mpg average. The difference in ride height is less than an inch. Stopping distance difference is not more than a couple of feet. Yes, you pay for the technology but x drive also enhances the the value of the car. BMW states that "On smooth, dry roads, the 325xi and 330xi have the feel of their rear-wheal drive stablemates." Let's try to be more responsible about posting information. Better to stick with facts than just giving opinions.
And what BMW says is actually quite true.

I (extensively) test drove the 330i, the 330i with SP and the 330xi (with SP and Styling 162 wheels and staggered tires).

I would put the 330xi somewhere between the 330i with SP and the 330i in terms of handling.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2006, 02:58 AM   #10
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Notice I said "Some people believes RWD still handles better than AWD"? This is not my opinion and I don't think I am qualified to say anything on that as I had never tried the E90 with x-Drive. I also realized that fuel consumption and stopping distances are minimal but they are nevertheless a 'drawback' of x-Drive. Regarding the ride height, I was pointing that out as I notice a few threads on people talking about lowering the 'xi' models. Who knows if the original poster would be concerned about the slight increase in ride height?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2006, 08:22 AM   #11
Helmar
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi, Barrique red

Moving from RWD to AWD

Living in Maine, I'm switching from a' '03 RWD LS430 to a 330XI.

There are times that my LS430 simply won't get up the driveway or a hill, and AWD solves that.

I once got stuck half way out of my GARAGE! The ground was solid ice and as soon as the rear tires of the LS430 left the garage, they started spinning (well, since the car has traction control, spinning isn't the right word).

It did start veering to the right though, and would have struck the side of the garage if I had kept trying.

I chose the 330XI because of performance, AWD, performance, manual transmission, performace, FUN TO DRIVE, and performance.

Non-performance things that were important to me were navigation system and active cruise control (don't knock it until you've tried it. It's MUCH better than you think).

I chose the 3 over the 5 because I tried both, and liked the 3 better. My only regrets of choosing the 3 over the 5 are lack of HUD, and lack of storage space.

Just my 2 cents.
Beige w/Dakota Leather Upholstery
Poplar Natural Wood Trim
Premium package
Cold Weather Package
Comfort Access
Active Cruise Control
Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2006, 10:32 AM   #12
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

somebody looking for performance in a mild climate would be misguided to spend their $$$$ on XI instead of sport pack RWD
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #13
18LLC
Major General
Rep
Drives: e89

i have another question, if AWD e90 it's for snow and rain, why so many ppl buying subaru and audi in bay area? just wondering.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2006, 08:00 PM   #14
ward
Major General
Rep

Quote:
you may want to consider the diff between marketing info and facts. BMW is going to tell you that as they want your extra $$$$$. the BMW website is not a newspaper or an unbiased source of info

you may also want to consider the added traction in rain is pretty much crap, if you can't handle rain in a RWD 3 series you don't deserve to be on the road
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #15
ward
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18LLC
i have another question, if AWD e90 it's for snow and rain, why so many ppl buying subaru and audi in bay area? just wondering.

the same reason you spent the extra for the XI

the marketing people have suckered you and many many many others into thinking you'll drive straight into the first ditch you see in a RWD car in the rain, much less snow.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2006, 08:53 PM   #16
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Here's an idea. If you want a AWD car, buy one. If you don't want one, don't buy one. WTF is the argument? People with navigation systems are morons too. What... can't read a map? Too shy to ask directions?

Why do I care what someone with an Oprah avatar in California thinks about AWD? Have you ever seen a snowflake?

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious

Last edited by LEDZEP; 01-10-2006 at 05:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #17
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
Here's an idea. If you want a AWD car, buy one. If you don't want one, don't buy one. WTF is the argument? People with navigation systems are morons too. What... can't read a map? Too shy to ask directions?

Why do I care some someone with an Oprah avatar in California thinks about AWD? Have you ever seen a snowflake?
I couldn't agree with you more LEDZEP ( I bought the Nav. for the voice command, and to fill the dash out, I don't need a map. not me )I think that people in socal should not be commenting about the need for AWD.
IMO the AWD is incredible, I love the handling of my AWD car, and will never go back , until I can afford/justify 2 cars.
The first time it snows and you see all those 2wd car owners looking for some to help to push their car out of a spot that got plowed in, you'll feel the same way.

So much for no " i vs. xi "
      01-09-2006, 11:52 PM   #18
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
you may want to consider the diff between marketing info and facts. BMW is going to tell you that as they want your extra $$$$$. the BMW website is not a newspaper or an unbiased source of info

you may also want to consider the added traction in rain is pretty much crap, if you can't handle rain in a RWD 3 series you don't deserve to be on the road
What you may want to considered is this. I have actually driven both the 330i and the 330xi back to back. I know from experience there is practically no difference in the handling aspects of the 2 cars.

You may also want to consider that you are obviously as susceptible to the BMW "marketing info" as any of us. So far you have bought 3 of them!!! Whatever BMW told you made you spend your $$$$$ 3 times with them. Must have all been facts, I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2006, 09:03 AM   #19
ward
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP

Why do I care what someone with an Oprah avatar in California thinks about AWD? Have you ever seen a snowflake?
then why does this whole thread exist, the guy was looking for input

I'm not going to let the thread get all one sided and smiley happy about XI being a performance enhancing option

you're absolutley right though, people are spending their own money, so it's none of anybody's business. Some people want to know if it's worth their $$$$, and that's where our discussions come in.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2006, 09:09 AM   #20
ward
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What you may want to considered is this. I have actually driven both the 330i and the 330xi back to back. I know from experience there is practically no difference in the handling aspects of the 2 cars.

You may also want to consider that you are obviously as susceptible to the BMW "marketing info" as any of us. So far you have bought 3 of them!!! Whatever BMW told you made you spend your $$$$$ 3 times with them. Must have all been facts, I'm sure.
If you ever plan to track or autocross your car then I would hope you would notice the difference. In responsible street driving they would both be the same, in responsible street driving there's no difference between a 3 and a VW.

Think what you want about me and marketing, I don't live in a snowy climate and I did not give BMW my extra money (for something I don't neet) just because they ran an ad on TV with kids throwing snowballs at the car. I buy them because I test drive EVERYTHING, and then the choice is obvious.

AWD is great for people who actually need it. There's a ton of people who think it's necessary for safety (which it's not, in warm climates). And they should be told that AWD in a sunny climate is about as usefull and valuable as tire insurance
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2006, 04:15 PM   #21
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
If you ever plan to track or autocross your car then I would hope you would notice the difference. In responsible street driving they would both be the same, in responsible street driving there's no difference between a 3 and a VW.

Think what you want about me and marketing, I don't live in a snowy climate and I did not give BMW my extra money (for something I don't neet) just because they ran an ad on TV with kids throwing snowballs at the car. I buy them because I test drive EVERYTHING, and then the choice is obvious.

AWD is great for people who actually need it. There's a ton of people who think it's necessary for safety (which it's not, in warm climates). And they should be told that AWD in a sunny climate is about as usefull and valuable as tire insurance

OK ... so let me get this straight. You're telling us that during normal street driving there's no difference between our E90's and any ordinary VW????!!!!! And only those of us who track or auto cross our E90's are truly justified in buying one because those are the ONLY times when anyone can really appreciate the car???? I guess the rest of us lowly shleppies who don't track or autocross our cars are just waisting our money buying Bimmers.

Ward, sorry but you strike me as someone who's pretty arrogant. How about giving grown people credit for being savy and knowledgeable enough to make a good choice for themselves about what to drive. Or maybe you would prefer that we all consult you before buying a Bimmer so you can give us your blessing on whether you think we really need one or not.
Appreciate 0