BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-16-2014, 09:15 PM   #23
wjk_glynn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 C2S Coupé

In issue #86 of Bimmer (Nov 2009), David Haueter wrote about driving a 135i and 335i sedan equiped with the first of the Performance parts coming to market from BMW at that time.

Before evaluating the PS fitted to the 135i, he spent a week with a stock 135i "to get a good baseline for comparison". His summary was "though capable, displays excessive understeer and body roll."

He then drove the 135i with the PS fitted and here's some of his comments:
  • ... absolutely transforms the 135i's handling
  • ... nearly neutral handling ... just a touch of understeer when charging hard to into a corner
  • ... body roll has been reduced nearly altogether.
  • With the chassis remaining so flat, detecting the grip limit of the tires becomes more difficult, but we loved this setup nonetheless.
  • ... gives the 135i a tossability like that of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR
  • ... can be used as a daily driver without fear of losing your fillings.

Of note, the PS on the 335i sedan wasn't nearly as transformative. In fact he was "disappointed" with comments such as:
  • ... only slightly less body roll than in a stock 335i with Sport Package
  • ... not ... the night-and-day difference ... in the 135i
  • ... the setup seemed to leave the front end without as much grip on turn-in as a stock 335i sport
  • ... less composed at the limit than the Performance 135i
  • ... tailoring the Performance parts for both cars to different demographics

Karl.

08-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #24
Luftmeister
Office Linebacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Thanks for that info, wjk_glynn.

This is paramount for me:

"can be used as a daily driver without fear of losing your fillings."

When I'm going out to dinner, or daily driving it I want to maintain it's comfort. So this is good to read.

My 03 MINI was HARD after I put coils on her. It could give you a brain injury in the corners but it would shake your fillings out too.

Thanks,

Jim
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #25
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftmeister View Post
Thanks for that info, wjk_glynn.

This is paramount for me:

"can be used as a daily driver without fear of losing your fillings."

When I'm going out to dinner, or daily driving it I want to maintain it's comfort. So this is good to read.

My 03 MINI was HARD after I put coils on her. It could give you a brain injury in the corners but it would shake your fillings out too.

Thanks,

Jim
I actually think the ride quality has been IMPROVED with the performance suspension so there does not seem to be that required tradeoff between performance and better handling with a harsher ride quality. It feels like the performance suspension set up actually soaks up and absorbs bumps and road imperfections compared to the stock setup, the damping is so much better that you get a lot less vertical travel when going over road imperfections, and on the highway, it feels so hunkered down and well-composed that it feels like you're floating on a cloud.

The stock suspension to me always felt squirrely, unsettled, and easily jarred into an uneasy state...at least mentally that's how I felt. It did not inspire much confidence, and going over bumps, etc., would really startle the car and throw it all around. Now it feels like it can take on anything. Very hard to describe, but I've never heard of or talked to anyone who put it on that wasn't in love with it. It's just hard to find a car with it installed to see how it feels in advance, unless you're lucky like overpar56.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #26
Greg FEightytwo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW GT4 M4 and X5M

I have FBO and my JB4 will be here next week. The IStune will hold you up but curiosity of the extra 5.9 lbs of boost will kill you to know. The performance exhaust with a down pipe and FMIC with a drop in filter sounds like a V8. A friend of mine has the same set up and he runs map5 which is the safest with 91 oct. The other maps you have to run race gas. There are a bunch of stations in northern CA. However, I was at a dinan open house and they stated that you can only increase the Ethanol by 10% before it ruins the components of the car. Just fbo with the IS tune there is no turbo lag. I have a p3 cars gauge that clears the 3106 cell code. The other code you will get is 2fe2 for the open circuit on the BMS oil catch can. Totally do able. I do think the tune will make the biggest impact on power though. I also have the full 1m suspension which helps keep the power on the floor.. My next upgrade will be LSD and Ohlins Dampers. The kit cost more because the fronts are 135 and the rear camber links are M3. Hope this information is helpful. Here is a photo of my 135is
Attached Images

Last edited by Greg FEightytwo; 09-23-2014 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #27
Luftmeister
Office Linebacker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs135is View Post
I have FBO and my JB4 will be here next week. The IStune will hold you up but curiosity of the extra 5.9 lbs of boost will kill you to know. The performance exhaust with a down pipe and FMIC with a drop in filter sounds like a V8. A friend of mine has the same set up and he runs map5 which is the safest with 91 oct. The other maps you have to run race gas. There are a bunch of stations in northern CA. However, I was at a dinan open house and they stated that you can only increase the Ethanol by 10% before it ruins the components of the car. Just fbo with the IS tune there is no turbo lag. I have a p3 cars gauge that clears the 3106 cell code. The other code you will get is 2fe2 for the open circuit on the BMS oil catch can. Totally do able. I do think the tune will make the biggest impact on power though. I also have the full 1m suspension which helps keep the power on the floor.. My next upgrade will be LSD and Ohlins Dampers. The kit cost more because the fronts are 135 and the rear camber links are M3. Hope this information is helpful. Here is a photo of my 135is
GORGEOUS!

Did you get the JB4 and put it in yet?

By FBO do you mean Airfilter, intercooler, and downpipe? Which brands did you go with and are you happy?

-Jim
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 12:34 AM   #28
Greg FEightytwo
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
GORGEOUS!

Did you get the JB4 and put it in yet?

By FBO do you mean Airfilter, intercooler, and downpipe? Which brands did you go with and are you happy?

-Jim
I have the afe air scoops drop in K&N for my filter. I had the AFE stage 2 sealed and didn't really get anything from it. The BMW box is pretty self sufficient.

5 inch ETS FMIC
ER charge pipe
Agency power 4 inch catless DP.
BMW performance exhaust

I have a few sound clips on FB. The car sounds like a V8 with only 2lbs of boost @ WOT currently. I am still waiting on shipping for JB4 supposed to be in this week.

Agency power does have some fitment issues. I got installed at Alekshop. local tuner shop. He trimmed the DP bracket and polished to make it look stock and its still reusable when i need to smog and put it back on. He also had to trim a piece of the DP bracket. About three hours of work.

I love the sound and the turbo lag is gone. I have a p3 cars gauge to clear the codes..

If you have an N55 and run a OCC then you will want to keep the piece where the oil moisture is evaporated to keep the water pump from going off and code 2fe2.

I will only be running map5 15.9 lbs of boost with 91-94 oct. Too many horror stories with e85 mixes.

I hope my info is helpful and I'll definitely keep you updated on the JB4 install and performance.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 06:42 AM   #29
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

You can add an intercooler to the 135is without any additional tune. I found the ETS 5" intercooler and ER charge pipe will give another 10hp peak on the dyno.
Also it will hold more power to the redline if that matters to you.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #30
Luftmeister
Office Linebacker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have the afe air scoops drop in K&N for my filter. I had the AFE stage 2 sealed and didn't really get anything from it. The BMW box is pretty self sufficient.

5 inch ETS FMIC
ER charge pipe
Agency power 4 inch catless DP.
BMW performance exhaust

I have a few sound clips on FB. The car sounds like a V8 with only 2lbs of boost @ WOT currently. I am still waiting on shipping for JB4 supposed to be in this week.

Agency power does have some fitment issues. I got installed at Alekshop. local tuner shop. He trimmed the DP bracket and polished to make it look stock and its still reusable when i need to smog and put it back on. He also had to trim a piece of the DP bracket. About three hours of work.

I love the sound and the turbo lag is gone. I have a p3 cars gauge to clear the codes..

If you have an N55 and run a OCC then you will want to keep the piece where the oil moisture is evaporated to keep the water pump from going off and code 2fe2.

I will only be running map5 15.9 lbs of boost with 91-94 oct. Too many horror stories with e85 mixes.

I hope my info is helpful and I'll definitely keep you updated on the JB4 install and performance.
VERY helpful, thank you.

I agree on the e85 stuff. It's VERY plentiful for me here in Wisconsin and I ran it in my Subaru STi because they had it pretty sorted out. From what you said and what I've read I'm going to pass on it for the 135. We have 91 here (no eth) and 93 (eth)

I think an OCC is always a good investment so thanks for that tip.

Here is the bone stock dyno plot from last June. This dyno is well known to be a heart-breaker too. 4th gear pull.

Weather stats for that day: http://www.wunderground.com/history/...lyHistory.html

I think I'll add the IC and charge pipe first, and go from there.

Last edited by Luftmeister; 10-01-2014 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #31
Luftmeister
Office Linebacker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
You can add an intercooler to the 135is without any additional tune. I found the ETS 5" intercooler and ER charge pipe will give another 10hp peak on the dyno.
Also it will hold more power to the redline if that matters to you.
Holding more power to redline is always better, John. Thanks!

Pricing seems reasonable for both. Many opinions on which IC to pick...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 11:38 PM   #32
Greg FEightytwo
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Holding more power to redline is always better, John. Thanks!

Pricing seems reasonable for both. Many opinions on which IC to pick...
Those where my first mods. Keeps the car cool around 240 after spirited driving for 30 mins or so. Do a drop in K&N for a little more air 60.00. ER charge pipe is about 350.00 and ETS 850.00 FMIC. They are easy to put in if you worked on your subaru.

Thanks for the dyno sheet. i never ran it stock which is nice to know the base line.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 12:21 AM   #33
DietTab
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:

I have a few sound clips on FB. The car sounds like a V8 with only 2lbs of boost @ WOT currently.

No it doesnt. You are high. Go to a doctor.
      10-02-2014, 12:33 AM   #34
Greg FEightytwo
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietTab View Post
No it doesnt. You are high. Go to a doctor.

Other people who heard my car coming down the street are the ones that told me it sounds like a V8 this was coming from a friend with an e92 dinan stroker motor. I like the sound and don't care what you think. Please don't bother responding to my posts because this is the last time i acknowledge you.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #35
DietTab
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Other people who heard my car coming down the street are the ones that told me it sounds like a V8 this was coming from a friend with an e92 dinan stroker motor. I like the sound and don't care what you think. Please don't bother responding to my posts because this is the last time i acknowledge you.
No amount of engineering makes a buzzy straight 6 sound like a v8. You're welcome to get mad about it though.
      10-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #36
mitch55
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N55 135i

Currently, I'm FBO with coilovers and Cobb and if I could do it all over again, I probably would stop after modifying the suspension and getting a nice set of wheels.

In my experience, the N55 and DCT do not get along with aftermarket parts as well as the N54 but every car is different.

Congrats on the new ride and welcome!