BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-31-2009, 03:23 PM   #23
gstopyra
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe

front license plate

So did everyone decide not to mount or did y'all take it off for photos? I'll be in Killeen in DEC when I get back from Iraq and looking to get a 135...but hate the TX front plate deal. I've found alternatives should it come to that...what is the fine for no plate?

-GS
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #24
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

You can get a fix-it ticket for not having a license plate, but it will take a lot more than that to put that ugly plate on the front of my car...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #25
bmwzone
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black 5.0 (ordered), 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Been in TX 1 yr 1 ticket for speeding no tickets for no front plate. Crossing fingers.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #26
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

This is the first car I've run without the front plate, I have had it for over a year and just recently got pulled over. I think the officer was suspicious of my behavior as I was driving slowly and had pulled into then backed out of a carwash late at night, and he used the lack of a front plate as a reason to pull me over and run my ID. He told me to get with my dealer and get the front plate mounted and that was it. Oddly he didn't say anything about my registration being expired, perhaps the computer told him I'd paid as I was just waiting on the sticker to come in the mail at that point.

A month or so ago a guy with a 335 that I met at Stett was giving me ride in his car so I could check out his intake and JB+, we drove through a rather seedy neighborhood in east Plano and saw a few unmarked cop cars and a bunch of gang-banger types, so we cruised on back to the shop nice and slow. A marked cop car flagged him down at a stop sign and just told him to get a front plate on the car. I think that was another case of the cop just wanting to see who was in the car.

I think cops will only bother with the front plate if they are looking for a reason to pull you over or if you've done something to annoy them. I have to drive through Murphy anytime I want to go anywhere, and that is nothing but a big speed-trap, and I've yet to be pulled over by them, which is shocking. I work in Richardson which is also notorious for tickets, and nothing has happened there with this car.

I've recently moved my photos to Google's web albums. Photos can be found here, here, and here.
Appreciate 0