BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

BMW Assist

When ordering the premium package BMW assist comes with it. Does this work like lojack? Will it help in recovery? Will it lower insurance rates? Is it like GM's Onstar?

:iono::iono::iono:
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Chop79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I believe you're right.
      04-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Yes. They can track the car and locate where it is.
      04-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #4
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Great this should lower insurates rates. But I will also add the alarm system with cash a month later. I think I will let BMW do that. So its on their record and warrantied.

Thanks. J.D.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
C_Topher
Señor Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

How does this work? Is there an inbuilt cellular phone and GPS in the car? I was asking a local CA and he said it was satellite based...but I don't think the voice portion is satellite.
      04-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

It's a substitute for something like OnStar, not LoJack. If the car is somewhere that the satellite signal is blocked (like in a shipping container) it won't work. I was also told that if the car isn't on it won't work either.

If you want LoJack, get LoJack.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybang View Post
It's a substitute for something like OnStar, not LoJack. If the car is somewhere that the satellite signal is blocked (like in a shipping container) it won't work. I was also told that if the car isn't on it won't work either.

If you want LoJack, get LoJack.
how do you know so much about blocking signals... :shifty:

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid View Post
how do you know so much about blocking signals... :shifty:
'

That's where your satellite radio won't work either. :P
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

So, you tried to listen to Sat Radio in a shipping container?:wink:
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #10
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

From what I know, it has its own cellular phone to make calls and send data to/from BMW Assist. I believe it also utilizes a GPS receiver, regardless of whether the car has NAV or not.

Probably, the GPS receiver is installed in all cars, but the iDrive interface is necessary for the NAV option.

It does not seem like the car has to be on for the system to work. I made my acquaintance call while my car was off and parked in my garage (however, accessories were on), and the system correctly identified my current location (it was off by a few house numbers).

During my conversation with the Assist rep, my Bluetooth-paired phone did not have an active call.

One of Assist's features is Stolen Car recovery. It can also remotely unlock your car. See http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...afetyPlan.aspx
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #11
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

From BMW's website:

Protecting your valuable investment.

If your BMW is equipped with this capability and is ever stolen, notify the BMW Assist Response Center by calling toll free (888) 333-6118 immediately after filing your police report. The center can remotely activate your BMW Assist system to locate your vehicle and help the police recover it. This feature may even reduce your comprehensive insurance premium.

Available on all 7 Series produced 9/05 and later and all other BMW Assist-equipped models produced 10/04 or later.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #12
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep

Okay, so the dealership was just trying to make money by selling me LoJack. Which I hadn't decided on yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #13
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
don't you have to pay a monthly subscription fee for BMW Assist? Where as LoJack is a one time installation fee and no monthly charges.

thanks

what's a good price for LoJack
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #14
C_Topher
Señor Member
Rep

4 years of BMW Assist is included in the purchase. After that, I do not know the cost.
      04-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #15
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

After the 4 years it costs $199 per year to continue the service.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 03:07 PM   #16
Larry_Legend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Freehold BMW in NJ tried to sell me the service. They sent over the blonde with nice cans to pitch it to me as well. No dice senorita!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 04:53 PM   #17
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It was part of the premium package which I got for other reasons, so it's more of an added bonus then anything. Although if I keep the car past 4 years I might consider keeping it for $200/year. That's only $16/month for the peace of mind that if I'm in an accident they will automatically send help regardless of where I'm at and whether or not I'm unconscious.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #18
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybang View Post
If the car is somewhere that the satellite signal is blocked (like in a shipping container) it won't work. I was also told that if the car isn't on it won't work either.
No and no.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #19
gadget12345
Private First Class
Rep

Jeff - I'm a total electronics freak and can even tell you the freqs that LoJack works on so.......

BMW assist is different, very different than either an alarm or a LoJack and my new baby is getting all three of them. I already have the Assist , just got the LoJack + EWS (Early Warning System) and if I can get the dealer to figure out how to install the OEM alarm for $600 (Separate story here – was quoted $1700, then $780…….) they will do it OR I’ll get the module from Circle BMW and install it myself.

My reasoning (and YMMV) :-

BMW Assist – Shock and air bag sensor + GPS + cell phone network = help if the car gets stuffed, I’m unconscious etc. NOT a theft deterrent or really a ‘its been stolen now find it for me’ system because as a couple of folks here have mentioned the shark fin antenna needs a clear line of sight to the sky for the GPS to work and think about how a professional will steal your car (It’s not hot wireable). IE: pull it up into a truck/ shipping container etc. Two other points – BMW will do nothing until they have a copy of the police report, which in my area could take a few days and the big point for this topic is that none of this will work if the battery in the trunk is disconnected. Which I felt most folks whom are interested in taking my baby would know.

Alarm – It makes the clown nose flash – which deters the casual ‘let’s smash the glass and steal the CD’s / IPOD’ folks. I have many experiences of neighbors having their cars broken into for the contents with no intent to steal the vehicle and if your breaking the glass on my car outside my house you better be prepared for one PO’d owner experience.

LoJack + EWS – Yes you want the early warning system – The only solution that’s really a ‘locate the car’ IMHO – The early warning system is a cell phone call when a motion/ tilt sensor gets activated without a secondary remote in the car (I have it on my car keys). This calls out to LoJack’s computer system which calls my home, work and cell phone and emails me and the wife (Since we both have blackberries). This does not notify the police but you better believe I will be running to the parking deck to check if my 1er is still there. If not I would then call the police (minutes after the car was lifted) to get the main LoJack activated which uses a radiating signal from the car to trigger units in the local police cars and helicopter (I kid you not – I’ve scanned some great car chases were the tracking was done from above my city). Note: The LoJack has a separate battery from the main car’s so even disconnecting the one in trunk will do you no good.

So to summarize (and again only my opinion based on research, electronics freaking and some shady stuff in the past)

BMW Assist – Call the ambulance ; I’ve been involved in a crash.
Alarm – Don’t break into me ; Do the car next door.
LoJack + EWS – Help me ! ; I’ve just been stolen and here I am.

Re: The pricing question ; every things negotiable with the financing folks…… I paid the regular LoJack price for the unit with EWS
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 04:55 PM   #20
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

The alarm and LoJack are only necessary if you live in an area with a high vehicle theft rate. I personally live in a fairly low crime rate area. In addition to that I park in a garage over night and when I do go out at night it's usually to a restaurant, movie, etc... with a crowded and well lit parking lot. So the chance of someone pulling a tuck up and loading my car into the back without anyone noticing is slim.

The only thing I might be susceptible to is the smash and grab. To avoid that I simply tuck all my valuables away out of sight. If a criminal looks in your window and sees nothing of value he's much less likely to break in just to check the glove box and/or trunk. And if god forbid it does happen, that's what insurance is for. I don't keep anything that's irreplaceable in my car.

Now if I lived in a big city with a high crime rate or if I had to park on the street overnight then I may reconsider.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #21
Stew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget12345 View Post
Jeff - I'm a total electronics freak and can even tell you the freqs that LoJack works on so.......

BMW assist is different, very different than either an alarm or a LoJack and my new baby is getting all three of them. I already have the Assist , just got the LoJack + EWS (Early Warning System) and if I can get the dealer to figure out how to install the OEM alarm for $600 (Separate story here – was quoted $1700, then $780…….) they will do it OR I’ll get the module from Circle BMW and install it myself.

My reasoning (and YMMV) :-

BMW Assist – Shock and air bag sensor + GPS + cell phone network = help if the car gets stuffed, I’m unconscious etc. NOT a theft deterrent or really a ‘its been stolen now find it for me’ system because as a couple of folks here have mentioned the shark fin antenna needs a clear line of sight to the sky for the GPS to work and think about how a professional will steal your car (It’s not hot wireable). IE: pull it up into a truck/ shipping container etc. Two other points – BMW will do nothing until they have a copy of the police report, which in my area could take a few days and the big point for this topic is that none of this will work if the battery in the trunk is disconnected. Which I felt most folks whom are interested in taking my baby would know.

Alarm – It makes the clown nose flash – which deters the casual ‘let’s smash the glass and steal the CD’s / IPOD’ folks. I have many experiences of neighbors having their cars broken into for the contents with no intent to steal the vehicle and if your breaking the glass on my car outside my house you better be prepared for one PO’d owner experience.

LoJack + EWS – Yes you want the early warning system – The only solution that’s really a ‘locate the car’ IMHO – The early warning system is a cell phone call when a motion/ tilt sensor gets activated without a secondary remote in the car (I have it on my car keys). This calls out to LoJack’s computer system which calls my home, work and cell phone and emails me and the wife (Since we both have blackberries). This does not notify the police but you better believe I will be running to the parking deck to check if my 1er is still there. If not I would then call the police (minutes after the car was lifted) to get the main LoJack activated which uses a radiating signal from the car to trigger units in the local police cars and helicopter (I kid you not – I’ve scanned some great car chases were the tracking was done from above my city). Note: The LoJack has a separate battery from the main car’s so even disconnecting the one in trunk will do you no good.

So to summarize (and again only my opinion based on research, electronics freaking and some shady stuff in the past)

BMW Assist – Call the ambulance ; I’ve been involved in a crash.
Alarm – Don’t break into me ; Do the car next door.
LoJack + EWS – Help me ! ; I’ve just been stolen and here I am.

Re: The pricing question ; every things negotiable with the financing folks…… I paid the regular LoJack price for the unit with EWS
Some good info here...for me, I think I would skip the low jack and use the BMW Assist as a make shift low jack...if my car was stolen and then recovered, I don't think I would want it any more anyway

4 years of BMW Assist free is a great deal, I think OnStar is one year free on GM cars (may be old info)? And $200/yr fee is a good deal for the peace of mind and perhaps insurance savings
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #22
dmin25
Registered
Rep
Drives:

BMW Assist

I got the BMW assist because it gives you blue tooth wireless accessability
Appreciate 0