BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Monster335is
Waking up from hybernation
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is

Suspension Advice

I currently have a set of KW V2s on my car, but still feel a little body roll when going through the turns. Would anyone recommend adding a set of sway bars (i.e. H&R Hotchkis) for a daily driver (both front + rear) or should I just keep the set up I have now and get it corner balanced?

I do want the car to become too stiff, just want to get rid of the body roll and feel a little bit more stable going through the turns. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster135 View Post
I currently have a set of KW V2s on my car, but still feel a little body roll when going through the turns. Would anyone recommend adding a set of sway bars (i.e. H&R Hotchkis) for a daily driver (both front + rear) or should I just keep the set up I have now and get it corner balanced?

I do want the car to become too stiff, just want to get rid of the body roll and feel a little bit more stable going through the turns. Thanks.
Add a front sway bar only. It will help the body roll, and transient response. I have the Hotchkiss front bar, but the H&R front bar will work also. Adding the rear bar will make it hard to put down power unless you have an LSD.
      02-23-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

Go with one of the M3 bars. if you dont want it too stiff go with the M3 coupe bar and not the vert bar. Big improvement over stock. I dont have any experience with adding a stiffer rear bar, but I know after I added my M3 bar I had much better rear grip because a stiffer front bar adds weight to the inside rear tire(good). hotckis is much thicker/stiffer than either M3 bar. Although I do have a friend with a 335i that loves his hotckis bar and he beat me by .01 seconds at our last autocross . He did have springs and PS2's and I had runflats and stock springs. I have to make myself feel better

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster135 View Post

I would add only a front bar if you don't have a good limited slip diff. Adding the rear bar will reduce rear bite out of a turn. The E90/92 M3 front bar is a good choice with oem fit and noise free operation. The E93 M3 front bar is just a bit bigger and give you slightly more roll stiffness.

One other alternative convert to a true coilover using 60mm ID springs with slightly higher rate then what came with the KW V2 kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
Elmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, Manual, Sport Pkg

Four days ago, I put an H&R front sway bar in my otherwise stock 128i coupe with Sport Pkg, based on methods I've read in various threads here to reduce body roll.

I've pushed it about 7/10 a couple of times so far, and can happily report a HUGE improvement in roll. No more floaty feeling or leaning, much more confident handling. It feels like a sports car now, whereas before it had a little too much "Buick" to the initial handling for my taste. And it seems like there's still just enough lean left to get the outside front tire to bite nicely.

Hope to storm some highway ramps this weekend. Looking forward to checking out the overall dynamics. Absolutely worth the $390 installed that I spent! I highly recommend Turner Motorsport in Amesbury, MA if you're in New England.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
verlumpt
at apex, on throttle
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I agree with the 'add larger front bar' sentiment. If that doesn't do it, then look at just upping your spring rates some if your valving will support it.