BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-28-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
Slavedriver
Rep
Drives: white

Brake lines???

Hi all,

Just a quick question here.
Are the brake lines on the 135i steel braided ones?

Regards
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
The OE brake lines are steel reinforced rubber like most production cars. SS lines are aftermarket lines.
TrackRat. Do you think SS lines are necessary for track /street car? I have searched and most ppl say they just improve brake pedal feel but really dont do anything to improve brake performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 09 AND135I 11 View Post
TrackRat. Do you think SS lines are necessary for track /street car? I have searched and most ppl say they just improve brake pedal feel but really dont do anything to improve brake performance.
Sorry to jump in but while not necessary for the track - they certainly are recommended.

Here's a summary of the benefits of stainless steel braided brake lines:

- 66% Less Expansion
- No Heat Fade
- Reduce Pedal Travel (the brake feel people talk about which leads to)
- Shorter Shopping Distance (and)
- Increased Brake Efficiency
- Abrasion / Corrosion Resistant

A checklist for buying stainless steel braided brake lines:

- At least FMVSS-106 approval. ADR, LTSA, DOT and TUV certified are also desirable
- Make sure that the lines are fully stainless steel lines and not mild steel
- Make sure that the lines use fully swaged fittings and don't use reusable fittings
- Make sure that the lines come with protective PVC covers
- Warranty, try to get lifetime

Not very expensive and easy to install. A really good cheap performance mod. Consider that most track instructors will tell you that, next to your helmet, a good brake system is your most important track equipment.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
Stuck
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80, Sakhir Orange

Its a relativly cheap mod with a huge upside. The reduction in line expansion, I.e. A bottle neck effect under hard braking, will mitigate the soft pedal during high speed braking. You'l feel a firmer pedal at most times as well. This was the first thing I did after my initial HPDE in my '04 STi and it made a noticeable difference on both the track and street.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
bluemoon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

For all the reasons mentioned, they are a worthwhile and relatively inexpensive upgrade if you're going to track your car. Both Agency Power and StopTech make SS brake lines to fit our cars. Look for kits that replace all four lines (2-lines for each side) in the rear. There is only a single line for each of the front calipers.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
SS lines are not necessary for track or street use. Sometimes SS lines will improve brake pedal feel over old, worn OE brake hoses that expand under high pressure but in my experience and that of many other track drivers, the SS lines do not provide any performance difference over a good condition OE brake line. The main advantage to SS lines is that they tend to last longer than OE brake hoses and they are durable. I have no problem with quality DOT approved -3 SS brake lines with swaged fittings, but for most people they produce little if any performance improvement. It's more of a peace of mind product in my experience. You always want the safest brakes you can have.
Thats exactly what most track drivers say.Thanks for the responce.
Appreciate 0