BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-25-2008, 09:57 PM   #45
stampchez
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

There are some weird variations year to year like with the Elises.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 09:57 PM   #46
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjovic View Post
135i is 3.2s slower than 335i? Man, somebody seriously can't drive. As for the Cobalt, it weighs 400 lbs less than the 135i, it shouldn't have beaten it, but gotten damn close. Can SOMEBODY please show the world what our little car can do? I'm tired of seeing results like these knowing damn well if a Cobalt SS, SSS, SSSS+ pulled up next to me on the highway, they would be toast.
Thank BMW for gimping the car with narrow ass run-flat tires. 215s on the front of a car like this is just dumb.

Don't be too sure about toasting that CSS on the highway though. The power to weight ratio is pretty close, and the Cobalt is doing 104MPH trap speeds at the end of the 1/4 mile. A stock 135i is going to pull away from them, but you're not going to embarrass them. It's an impressive little car for the money.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 09:57 PM   #47
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinweiß View Post
This was a lot of work! You choads can thank me later, LOL.
Nope.. I'll thank you now. Good collation. Thanks for putting in the effort for our benefit....
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #48
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep
Drives: FWD in reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Nope.. I'll thank you now. Good collation. Thanks for putting in the effort for our benefit....
You're welcome, man. No sweat!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 11:06 PM   #49
bigslick82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

Great Job Alpinweiss! This one really surprises me:

BMW M3- 3:05.6 (2008)
Porsche 997 Turbo- 3:05.8 (2007)

The M3 is an amazing car.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 11:09 PM   #50
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

As an fyi...every father's day weekend Mazdadrivers.com sponsors a 2 day instructor led track program at VIR. I owned my WRX for 6.5 years and just over 100,000 miles and this past fathers day weekend I claimed "this is the first time I've every driven my car". As an automotive enthusiast this is somthing I recommend to everyone. The VIR track is an absolute blast to drive.

It's many months away but we should organize a group of 135i's for next years event. Where else can you get 2 days( 8 sessions of about 25min each) of instructor driving school for $435. The instructor drives shotgun with you. I know this was slightly off topic but I was pretty excited when I saw this article and that it was at VIR and just thought I'd let everyone know that we all have an opportunity to race this track with our cars.

R.
      09-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #51
whya1?
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjovic View Post
135i is 3.2s slower than 335i? Man, somebody seriously can't drive. As for the Cobalt, it weighs 400 lbs less than the 135i, it shouldn't have beaten it, but gotten damn close. Can SOMEBODY please show the world what our little car can do? I'm tired of seeing results like these knowing damn well if a Cobalt SS, SSS, SSSS+ pulled up next to me on the highway, they would be toast.
There is more to speed than a straight line.

And how do you know they would be toast? On a highway pull it is very possible you could be pretty equal. The SS has 260hp to the 135 300hp. The Cobalt weighs significantly less. I don't think it would be "toast".

But really, how is a highway pull anything more than simple raw horsepower? A GTO can walk a 135/335 all day on the highway but is slower at a track.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 09:30 AM   #52
whya1?
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rye View Post
It's the fake quad exhaust tips....caused too much drag. :wink:

The Cobalt was crazy. Imagine gutting it even more and putting an aftermarket chip to it...woah. It's a big improvement from the last version.

The great thing is if you gut a cobalt you are actually improving the interior. But yes, a lightened Cobalt with exhaust, intake and chip should be well over 300hp and a terror on the track. Install a LSD and you are going to have a real giant killer.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #53
redwood
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1999 BMW 328i

Alpinweiß, great effort, but you didn't have to do that. Wish I'd seen this thread yesterday or I would've posted this link:

Here are all the times combined as well. Save it to your favorites, people.
http://www.fastestlaps.com/track20.html

If I recall, the 335 was a manual and if the 135 is an auto, that could explain some of the difference, plus they were tested at different times with different conditions. So you can compare to a degree, but must realize that one car isn't necessarily exactly that much faster than another when they were tested in different conditions.

I'm really shocked at the Cobalt SS. It has a REALLY bad interior though (been inside one at the auto show). Even part of the badge inside had broken off. I don't know if I could deal with that as it would remind me of cars I had in high school and my early 20s. I really like the Mazdaspeed3's interior/driving.

I wish the 2009 WRX and ZR1 were tested as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #54
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
Alpinweiß, great effort, but you didn't have to do that. Wish I'd seen this thread yesterday or I would've posted this link:

Here are all the times combined as well. Save it to your favorites, people.
http://www.fastestlaps.com/track20.html

If I recall, the 335 was a manual and if the 135 is an auto, that could explain some of the difference, plus they were tested at different times with different conditions. So you can compare to a degree, but must realize that one car isn't necessarily exactly that much faster than another when they were tested in different conditions.

I'm really shocked at the Cobalt SS. It has a REALLY bad interior though (been inside one at the auto show). Even part of the badge inside had broken off. I don't know if I could deal with that as it would remind me of cars I had in high school and my early 20s. I really like the Mazdaspeed3's interior/driving.

I wish the 2009 WRX and ZR1 were tested as well.
D'OH!!!
What a kick in the balls. Talk about me taking the long way around.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 10:16 AM   #55
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep

I realize the above link are just manufacturer specs, but was the 135i in this comparo a steptragic or not? Need clarification!
Appreciate 0