BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
///Morgan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Software 31.2

Hi all 1addicts!
Today I went to my local dealer, and asked which was the current software upgrade they had. The answer was "31.2".
Is this possible? I thought the latest was the 30.2 version.
If this software really exists, can someone give me his comments about it? Any lag? Changes? Etc.
If it doesn't exist, will the 30.2 upgrade end with the lag issue?
I have never trusted these guys, maybe they are just talking s&%#.

Thanks in advance!

LM135
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
Bullitt
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
At least in the States, the latest version seems to be v31.1, which apparently eliminates the lag. Here's a post made earlier today at e90post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy View Post
Well fellow Bimmers, 1st a little back round. My 2008 E90 335xi was one of the first ones built. My car was ordered around the beginning of July 07. Arrived at BMW, Bel Air, MD. 1 Oct 2007. and was delivered 3 Oct 07.
I am new to BMW, but not lux. sport cars.
I have owned, 2 Volvo S60 AWD Turbos,(neither had turbo lag that I was aware of), and I sold my 2006 Audi A4 Quattro 3.2 S-line, to buy my current 1st BMW. I had no problems at all until I had Bluetooth / Sat. radio / mirror-seat settings/ being lost. So... I got the newest software that had just came out the day before, according to my SA on 30 Apr 08. As not being member yet of this forum, or BMW CCA. I had not heard the rumors about turbo lag yet. But my SA did confirm then, that it was V29.2.0 installed on BMW.
I work in the area of Bel Air BMW, and had gotten to know service, parts, and sales staff quite well, on my many friendly visits. The owner of Bel Air & Towson BMW, had even given me passes to the car shows in Washington DC, and Baltimore, (DC was the best). I'm still waiting for BMW's front strut brace for a 335xi, the strut towers are more vertical that the non AWD's, and the turbos take up to much room under the hood for the brace to fit right now. I'm hoping it will be out soon. I frequently spoke w/ Joe the top service tech in the shop, about what I was experiencing w/ my BMW. He was aware that there was a problem w/ , as he said, "electric throttle hesitation". The next few softwares had been released, and addressed this hesitation, but Joe shared that some of the memos w/ me. A memo f/ BMW in Sept 08, talked about the issue. But there were bugs in these softwares, that had electronic issues, etc. So Joe suggested I wait for a version that didn't have these bug, but addressed the hesitation issue.
This bring us up to date. Yesterday, 6 Nov 2008, my car went in for service, and was re flashed w/ V31.1.0. (a copy of the tech sheet was give to me, to confirm this). My passed performance issues were, hesitation, or turbo lag f/ a stop, or low RPM, take offs. Well, my spirited drive home, yesterday was about as hard as I could make it for the new V31.1.0. All combinations of acceleration that I could think of were put to the test. While I am not a mechanic, I can change my oil, spark plugs, brakes, etc. My understanding of the dynamics of the 2 small turbos spooling up on my BMW are not technical, but I know what I feel thru the gas pedal, brake pedal, and steering wheel. I am however a certified EVOC instructor thru the state of MD. I can post lap times w/ the best of them on a road course, and have been at the top of the charts against other EVOC instructors. Enough said.
Well I'm pleased to say... THE TURBO LAG/ ELECTRINIC THROTTLE HESITATION IS GONE! My 1 year old BMW is back the way its was when it was new, w/ no electronic bugs f/ BMW either.
To those of you who had questions on my previous posts, ie, how do I know what software I have, and how do I know if I have turbo lag. I am only aware of the dealer being connected to their CPU, and telling you what version software you have. As to turbo lag, only the driver knows what they feel thru the seat of their pants. The current BMW software is only available as a download f/ BMW in NJ. The shop doesn't have it on disc yet. So it takes about 4 hr. to install. WARNING, the dealer will only upgrade your BMW if you have some type of software issue that either gives error codes or causing a recognizable symptom on your car. If they run a diagnostic on your car, and nothing is wrong they will tell you your BMW is preforming as it is programed to do. Hence you go home w/ no software upgrade. That did happen to me last month. BMW is still not openly admitting to have a programed turbo lag. I recommend telling your SA the the car sometimes HESITATES f/ a stopped start, ie. stop sign, or red light.
Good Luck, dave in Bel Air
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184400
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

In Australia they are now testing V31.2 for the local market..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I hope when I order my car that they will have this software installed already in the car , good stuff
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
///Morgan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
In Australia they are now testing V31.2 for the local market..
I think we have the same softwares available.... My car is euro spec.
Yours is also??
Have any comments yet?
It will be very helpful. Today my dealership was downloading the last software so I wasn't able to update mine, but wouldnt like to update it and that the lag is still there!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
///Morgan
Private First Class
Rep

So?
Any experiences out there with software v31.2 so far??
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM135 View Post
So?
Any experiences out there with software v31.2 so far??
Still waiting for BMW Australia to finalise the testing for the Australian cars..

I had the earlier upgrade done 2 months ago and it did eliminate all the lag, but had the fuel pump replaced at the same time due to an earlier issue.

So dont know whether it was the fuel pump or th old software that was causing the lag.

Since the first upgrade have had the car back to BMW as Service Error codes are now showing..

They cant fix and are waiting for the V31.2 to be tested..:iono:
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #8
BMWTT135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i MT

Does anyone know of any documents released from bmw that say what these software upgrades address/fix, or are these files kept private? All I know is that the new version is suppose to fix the alarm issues. I have heard some people claim turbo lag..etc.
Appreciate 0