E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 325i Impressions after first week

11-06-2005, 11:54 AM   #1
timlang
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i

325i Impressions after first week

I finally got my long awaited (11 weeks) 325i last Friday (Oct 28). Here is the spec:

325i (Canadian) / Steptronic / Premium Package / Adaptive Headlights / Sparking Graphite, Black Leatherette & Walnut Burl.

In the first week I put 500km on it, which is about double what I normally drive in a week! So far I have been extremely happy!! It has way more power than I could ever need with traffic and roads in Vancouver, it is so smooth it is like instead of wheels I have figure skates on the car. Every time I touch the throttle the car just does what I want it do - it is difficult to describe it exactly, sort of like being on glass, but with full traction.

So far I have had no rattles, no shimmy, no flat spots, in fact no defects or build problems at all. I could not possible be more happy with this ride, I definately made the right choice. The Logic7 sounds absolutely amazing, way batter than the aftermarket (with sub) setup I had in my last car. I dont know how loud it goes exactly, except that it goes louder than I care to listen (which is pretty damned loud!).

So far there are only a few things that could use improvement:

1) The automatic rain sensing wipers. They are fine in moderate to heavy rains, but when there is just a light drizzle, they are far too sensitive, and end up wiping a dry windsheild (as they skip and drag across). The sensitivity adjustment hardly does anything, I can barely tell the difference between min and max settings. In light rain I find I am having to turn off the auto-wipers and just manually give it a wipe when it needs it - this is pretty annoying.

2) Second complaint pretty minor one that has already been discussed ad nausium in other threads, but I will way it anyways: The cup holders are not deep enough. The width and position is fine for me, but they need to be a good 2" deeper.

3) Lack of auto-unlock. I have always driven GM vehicles, all of which had auto-lock and auto-unlock. I guess after 12 years of auto-unlocking I am used to it, and I find it midly annoying this car doesn't have it.

4) When playing MP3 CDs in Random mode, the Next Track/Prev Track buttons on the wheel go to the next sequential track, rather than randomly choosing another one. This is a bit lame. Also it would be nice if it would remember I was on "LIST" or "TITLE" view after re-starting the car.

5) Tires. My car came with the OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL42 RFT (205/55R16). They are adequate, but not great in wet conditions. My old Goodyear Regatta IIs had better wet weather traction. Given that all the handling and traction of the car is meaningless if the tires can't hold the road, you would think they would have gotten something a bit better than this as an OEM tire. I will get something different when these wear out, but I will live with them until then.

Otherwise, this is the perfect car. I can't wait until I am finished breakin period to really let it loose. (BTW - My dealer said "this car doesn't need a breakin" !! I decided to err on the side of caution and follow the manufactures breakin directions anyways).

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
bmwczech
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i Alpine White

Congrats eh! :rocks:

Sounds like you love your car! Too bad you have a few complaints but obviously nothing too serious. I was concerned to hear that you have issues with the all season tires your car came with. I have ordered a 325i Sport Package so I will have the summer sport tires which I hope will perform well in the rain? We are both from a part of Canada where we get a lot of rain so this is an issue for us.
Are you planning on putting any winter tires on your car? If so, what are you planning on purchasing. I am going to put winter tires on for sure.
I can't wait to get my car so I can experience what you and everybody on this forum are enjoying.
Have fun with your new car
By the way, did you buy your car at Brian Jessel BMW?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2005, 01:38 PM   #3
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

congratulations on your 325. i agree about power and torque - more than ample for big city driving.

1. my rain sensor sensitivity adjustment knob works the sensitivity very well. you know, it may be a legal issue for the US/Canada models to be preset at one sensitivity setting - maybe. this has been a topic of discussion so try searching for it.

2. I never use them and most probably never will.

3. auto unlock in the e90 will only occur after an accident. the lights will illuminate as well. the e36 and e46 models operated the same way.

4. cannot comment.

5. rft technology will improve as time goes on. we just have to know where the limits of our tyres are - in all conditions, especially in the wet and drive according to the conditions and traffic.

all the best with your vehicle on figure skates. i know what you mean. just wait until the car is run in and you have grown accustomed to the enti package. it will be even more exciting.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2005, 03:23 PM   #4
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlang
So far there are only a few things that could use improvement:

1) The automatic rain sensing wipers. They are fine in moderate to heavy rains, but when there is just a light drizzle, they are far too sensitive, and end up wiping a dry windsheild (as they skip and drag across). The sensitivity adjustment hardly does anything, I can barely tell the difference between min and max settings. In light rain I find I am having to turn off the auto-wipers and just manually give it a wipe when it needs it - this is pretty annoying.

2) Second complaint pretty minor one that has already been discussed ad nausium in other threads, but I will way it anyways: The cup holders are not deep enough. The width and position is fine for me, but they need to be a good 2" deeper.

3) Lack of auto-unlock. I have always driven GM vehicles, all of which had auto-lock and auto-unlock. I guess after 12 years of auto-unlocking I am used to it, and I find it midly annoying this car doesn't have it.
Wow. SAME thoughts here. Especially the rain sensing wipers, I find them quite annoying when there is a light drizzle like you said. Its too sensitive, and my sensitivity adjustment doesn't do anything. So many have said BMW's rain sensing wipers are the best, yet its a features I hate the most in my e90.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2005, 05:48 PM   #5
lwongveros
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I used to live in Vancouver.. makes me smile thinking about the "light drizzle" - it's about a constant feature of the Pacific Northwest climate!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2005, 06:01 PM   #6
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Congratulations! She's quite a machine isn't she?

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2005, 12:49 AM   #7
timlang
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i

Thanks for the comments! I do love this fine driving machine !!!

Quote:
Are you planning on putting any winter tires on your car?
No. We get like maybe one or two days a year with snow on the roads here, and I have always been fine with all seasons.

Quote:
If so, what are you planning on purchasing.
I did some research on this, and definately the Dunlop M3 Runflats seem to be the way to go.

Quote:
I am going to put winter tires on for sure.
I think this is pretty much mandatory in our climate if you have the summer performance tires that come with the sport package.

Quote:
By the way, did you buy your car at Brian Jessel BMW?
Yes I did, and so far I have been very happy with their service.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2005, 12:55 AM   #8
northerncalguy
Throw your hands in the air, if you's a true playa.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2014 435i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
4) When playing MP3 CDs in Random mode, the Next Track/Prev Track buttons on the wheel go to the next sequential track, rather than randomly choosing another one. This is a bit lame. Also it would be nice if it would remember I was on "LIST" or "TITLE" view after re-starting the car.
Yep. I 2nd that complaint, but luckily this appears to be software related, so maybe the guys at BMWNA can, ahem, get to work on this?
      11-07-2005, 11:55 AM   #9
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Funny, I don't find the rain sensors overly sensitive - I guess it is a subjective thing. When it really does drizzle, I simply use it manually (obviously very infrequent wipes required - so no issue there).

I also find the power more than adequate in my 325 and it's not even close to broken-in yet (250kms).

Definately went with winters in Montreal, summer performance (ZSP) tires in winter = car in driveway.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2005, 12:19 PM   #10
Sho
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6-speed

I have my car for more than 3 months now, and put on 4200 miles on it. I do realized the engine note is getting better and better. When it was brand new, it had no sound at all from the exhaust. And now I can hear it when I rev it to around 3500 rpm. Sounds very sporty.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2005, 01:03 PM   #11
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Sho, does it really make sporty sound from the exhaust?
Its been 3 weeks for my E90, and its quiet as hell.

I always envy sweet exhaust sound from G35. While I don't want a loud farting can, I want to hear subtle sporty exhaust note from my e90.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2005, 02:09 PM   #12
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
fricka fricka...congrats buddy.
      11-07-2005, 03:47 PM   #13
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:

I agree withthe auto unlock opinion. When I got my car, I set the autolock to lock when driving. There was never an auto unlock similar to our other car...

After many an annoyance, I've turned off the autolocking feature.

It's right up there with the damn seatbelt pinging noise that refuses to go away until belt is on...