BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-04-2011, 03:33 AM   #23
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeyman View Post
Imran, wots your history with tuning cars? You're not like a Ahmed Bayjoo are you? lol
I didn't know what name until I googled it. Looks like he was a Ford tuner - as I have never been into Fords I have never heard of him so just because we have Asian names I wouldn't compare us lol

Evolve is bigger than any one individual. My role is not technical. I assume you have not been on the BMW scene for long as it would have been impossible not to hear of us. Just google "evolve tuning" "evolve remap" and digest what google shows you.

Here are some of our many magazine features evolve magazine features

Also take a look at our facebook page to see what we get up to evolve facebook page
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 04:00 AM   #24
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
Imran, many thanks for your posts here, it's great to see a UK tuner remapping the 1M.

From looking at the dyno graphs above, the stock 1M appears to be very much under-rated power and torque wise by BMW. In fact a friend of mine had his 135i on a rolling road and it was a similar story!

Just so that I'm reading it right, the "Example 2" graph shows the 1M producing over 450 lb/ft of torque?! That's almost as much as a 997 Turbo!! If I'm reading that right, it's mightily impressive!!
We have so much experience with the 135i and lots of 135i customers that have moved on to 1M's we literally had them knocking at the door!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 04:26 AM   #25
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks Imran,

I'll definitely be coming to see you for my remap and exhaust once the car is run in

Cheers,

Chris.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 05:13 AM   #26
bogeyman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf GTD. GR Yaris CP incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
I didn't know what name until I googled it. Looks like he was a Ford tuner - as I have never been into Fords I have never heard of him so just because we have Asian names I wouldn't compare us lol

Evolve is bigger than any one individual. My role is not technical. I assume you have not been on the BMW scene for long as it would have been impossible not to hear of us. Just google "evolve tuning" "evolve remap" and digest what google shows you.

Here are some of our many magazine features evolve magazine features

Also take a look at our facebook page to see what we get up to evolve facebook page
lol fair comment mate. I've owned a few Cosworths and he's a legend in the Ford world. Not had bm for a few years and always sceptical about tuning a car while it's under warranty but thanks for the links you've posted - will have a good ole read. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 05:49 AM   #27
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Word of caution

Actually, personally I do not mind BMW M not squeezing all potential oomph out of the 1M.

May we not reasonably assume that the folks at the M Division know exactly what they're doing to preserve the M cars' longevity and rock solid reputation to the best of their efforts? Limits are set and parts are conceived in function thereof. If the 1M happens to be "underpowered", then it was underpowered by BMW M engineers for a reason (except if non engineering reasons have to be part of the equation: for example BMW not wanting the 1M getting too close into trespassing M3 territory).

Getting closer to the limit than close can be, comes at a price. Chips tuners and tuner fans might wash my comment away as way too conservative or even ill-founded. Fair enough. However, in the past I witnessed an engine meltdown due to "creative remap chipping" (not my car). Engine-parts could not take the strain of performance on the edge and went up in smoke. Owner went thru a hassle knocking on doors, in vain: car manufacturer (not BMW) refused an engine replacement (warranty voided) and the chips manufacturer "doubted" that the chip was to be blamed. As the car could not be left with a destroyed engine, the owner was required to replace the engine at his full expense. Learning it the hard way: if any "pilot error" was involved in the incident I'm referring to, then it was the mistake by the owner to get the chip anyway and trust that the chips manufacturer would be of any decent assistance when things seriously went wrong. You ain't married to them, because in marriage you're supposed - as a matter of principle though - to also help in bad times, instead of looking the other way.

If it goes right with the chipped/remapped engine, have fun as long as it lasts. If it goes wrong one day, do know that you might end up getting wet (despite promises, guarantees, skills, long standing track records, etc.) + good luck with the resale. Replacing an M engine ain't cheap.

Also, be careful with chipped engines insurance wise. Insurers tend to be allergic (no need to believe me, but ask a lawyer friend about the consequences of "intentional non disclosure" and "misrepresentation" in insurance matters, and you'll think twice).

Feel free to do what you want, but personally you will not see me walking down the chips/remap lane. It's my way of letting the chips fall where they may.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 06:11 AM   #28
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

This engine is not new - I'm not sure why people think it is. All of our 1M customers so far had 135i's tuned by us to 420 BHP and completed 30k miles plus without any issues - thats why they have come back to us with their 1M's.

Tuners all over the world including ourselves have been tuning the N54 to much higher power levels than the 1M with a map without any issues other than what is normal for this engine ie fuel pump.

I agree any customers tuning their cars should disclose this to their insurers and most do. In the UK at least it does not add a huge amount to the insurance premium.

As with anything in life there is risk - some people are ok with this and some aren't so I understand where you are coming from.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 04:30 AM   #29
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
Thanks Imran,

I'll definitely be coming to see you for my remap and exhaust once the car is run in

Cheers,

Chris.
Glad to be of assistance.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #30
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy a 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Limits are set and parts are conceived in function thereof. If the 1M happens to be "underpowered", then it was underpowered by BMW M engineers for a reason (except if non engineering reasons have to be part of the equation: for example BMW not wanting the 1M getting too close into trespassing M3 territory).
One other reason that manufacturers don't go as far as they could relates to the co2/emissions targets that they are managing to. If I remember correctly, the 1M has a co2 output of 224g, which is just below the UK threshold for higher tax (at 225g+).

Agree that commercially BMW may not want the 1M to exceed to M3's performance by too much either. I personally wouldn't want to go down the remap route as I feel the 1M already exceeds my driving abilities but just saying that mild remaps are likely to be within the tolerances of rest of the 1M's hardware. Just a personal view - happy to hear others.
Appreciate 0