BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-07-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
bodega_bladerunner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Help with temp tag sticker remnants on rear window

So when I got my 2013 a few months ago, the dealer gave me a temp blue tag that stuck to the rear window.
Well it seems the sticky adhesive on the tag is some type of super glue because I haven't been able to get it off yet (hadn't put too much effort yet)
It seems I will have to get in the back seats and really work on this thing.

Do you guys have any recommendations on how to get this crap off? I have a razor blade to scrape the remnants but I don't want to fuck the defroster lines up. I also have some bug and tar remover, but again, I don't want that to start pulling up the defroster lines since I don't know how they're stuck on there.

Help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 11:07 PM   #2
ChrisAW1M
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I once had this happen on my car. In the exact same place. I would advise against use of a razor blade. The best solution is to purchase some Goo Gone adhesive remover and use some old rags, cotton balls, or soft, cloth-like paper towels and it will require a lot of elbow grease to get that out.

Fold the back seats down and just keep applying more Goo Gone to the rag or new cotton balls, or paper towels and rub really hard, back and forth, in swirls until you can get it off. Do not worry. Eventually it should work, but it will take a long time. You may end up using half of the bottle.

Similarly, you can use a solution of diluted fabric softener 50-50 with water in a spray bottle which helps remove adhesive, but I have found that to be less effective and not as useful in your situation as it might get everywhere.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAW1M View Post
I once had this happen on my car. In the exact same place. I would advise against use of a razor blade. The best solution is to purchase some Goo Gone adhesive remover and use some old rags, cotton balls, or soft, cloth-like paper towels and it will require a lot of elbow grease to get that out.

Fold the back seats down and just keep applying more Goo Gone to the rag or new cotton balls, or paper towels and rub really hard, back and forth, in swirls until you can get it off. Do not worry. Eventually it should work, but it will take a long time. You may end up using half of the bottle.

Similarly, you can use a solution of diluted fabric softener 50-50 with water in a spray bottle which helps remove adhesive, but I have found that to be less effective and not as useful in your situation as it might get everywhere.
Hey coupon king, did it happen to your Silver 135i, or your Mineral Grey 135is, or was it your (cough, cough) AW 1M?
      07-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #4
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Goo gone spray and then windex with vinegar.
Appreciate 2
      07-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
bodega_bladerunner
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks so much guys. I already have some goo gone which I will go ahead and use. Can you confirm that the goo gone won't fuck with the defroster lines?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 04:48 PM   #6
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
No it won't, just try to use some elbow grease but don't overdo it on the elements. The windex with vinegar cuts any residual grease and makes sure you don't have any streaks left behind.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #7
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

I've read that when wiping the defroster lines, doing so in a direction parallel to the lines is less likely to damage them than if you wipe vertically.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2017, 04:18 PM   #8
bodega_bladerunner
Lieutenant
Rep

Duplicate post
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 04:27 PM   #9
bodega_bladerunner
Lieutenant
Rep

Got this crap off finally.
I first tried goo gone but I was surprised when I had absolutely no luck with it. It had zero effect on this glue from hell.
I did end up using a razor blade mounted to a little handle thing used for scraping. I scraped in between the defroster lines. This left a small amount of glue and then only the stuck on paper where I stopped scraping near the defroster lines. For the rest I used bug and tar remover and my finger nail scraping the stuck on paper parallel with the lines. Finished it off with window cleaner.
Big time lesson learned for this bullshit
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 07:44 AM   #10
bodega_bladerunner
Lieutenant
Rep

Well with some rain on the way to work this morning, I noticed that a small 1 inch by 10 inch so section did not defrost when I switched on the defroster. Sooo I guess I did damage one of the lines after all.
Smdh can't win.
I'm gonna try one of those defroster line repair kits to maybe touch up whatever I damaged after I identify it. If that doesn't work, I will be living with it lol
Lesson learned for sure
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #11
Jorgensen54
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/AG 135i 6MT

Future reference for anyone with similar situations...
Regardless of the product used (glass cleaner/adhesive remover), soak the affected area prior to attempting to remove. You'll definitely save yourself 70% of the labor.
Other useful tools... heat gun!? Plastic razor blades! It's not worth risking damaging the elements. I spent much of my adolescence as a detailer and playing fix-it is half of the fun.

Repairing isn't too difficult. Just make sure you use tape or the likes to create a straightedge for nice, clean lines:
http://www.frostfighter.com/defroste...d-kit-2100.htm